Sponsored by:

2003 S-type Intermittent Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 S-type Intermittent Start Problem

Hi
I have a 2003 S-Type with approx 122,000Km
I received a lot of great advice here before and I am sure you will be able to steer me in the right direction!

I have a strange problem starting my car.
The problem is intermittent, but consistent.
When I get in the car in the morning (cold start) sometimes it will start fine, sometimes i get all the dash lights but no start.
If I drive the car, then stop for an errand, it will usually restart fine.
At the end of the day (my car is in an outdoor parking lot most of the day) it usually takes several minutes before it will start.

When it doesn't start, the red light on top of the dash (in the middle close to the windshield) will flash. When it starts OK, the light will be on solid.
The weird thing is that i will have to turn the key on then off several times, then, all of a sudden, the car decides to start.
When it starts, it starts fine - no hesitation, no long cranking -it starts perfectly every time it starts.

If I turn the key and the light on the top of the dash flashes, I know it will not start. If the light comes on solid - the car will start flawlessly.

Sometimes I will get a click click when I turn the key, but usually there is silence. The start sequence is always the same, lights come on that are supposed to come on, a/c., radio, etc. - but sometimes it wil go and sometimes not.

I do nothing other than turn the key to off then back to start and eventually the car will start. Sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes turning on then off, on then off before it starts. I usually try to turn it off for at least 20-30 seconds before retrying each time.

My local garage thinks it may have something to do with the key transponder or the reader in the car. I have 2 keys - both exhibit the same problem.

If I remember correctly (I am going to check my invoices later) I think I changed the battery about 2 years ago. I don't think it is a battery issue - but who knows?

The weather doesn't seem to be a factor - I have had the issue in rain and shine, cool and hot weather.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I also have been having another problem recently - not sure if it is related.

It is a more dangerous problem though. The car will sometimes stall while driving! It is also quite intermittent, but I am trying to isolate the conditions when it stalls.

It seems to stall at a lowish rpm (1500-2000), usually when accelerating from a stop or sometimes when driving down the road around 30-50km/hour.

I pull over, put the car in park, restart the car, and all is back to normal.

No check engine light comes on either.

So far, it has only happened at low speeds in the city - but I have been avoiding the highway for fear that it will stall and I will have an accident.

Again - thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

How old is the battery?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I changed the battery about 2 years ago

I will check my invoices tomorrow to be sure

I don't think it is the battery because it starts perfectly maybe half the time.

It seems to me more like a communication problem somewhere

The key either starts or doesn't - Either I get a solid light on top of my dash and the car starts fine or else the light on the top of my dash flashes and the car won't start.

All I do is wait a moment then retry the key and it starts like a charm.

I never have to do any extended cranking - I turn the key and it starts, or else I turn the key and there is nothing from the motor.

It is weird!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I think the flashes will (may) be a code. Try to study them for a few minutes (I know, it's a long time). There's a list of PATS flash codes - somewhere LOL - but first we need the code. It may well not be the battery. I think the code may tell but otherwise I'd guess at the steering column lock mechanism/module. Others have (rarely) had this - try some of those words with Search and also try SCLM