S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S-Type Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

George is right so if you find something that fits or not. Report it back so we can all learn.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
EZrider800;
Wrong. I have a 2003 Lincoln LS and a 2005 STR. Here is the regulator from Amazon. It's $68 for the drivers side so be careful and get the correct side.

Amazon.com: Dorman 741-876 Lincoln LS Front Driver Side Power Window Regulator with Motor: Automotive

Tbird,
I ordered this today from Amazon. $68.00 with free shipping. The one for a Jaguar was over $230.00 and was backordered. I hope this works!!

Thanks for your help and the help of all the others that chimed in with their experiences. Now to send the repeir kit back to the guy on Ebay. He wants to charge me a re-stocking fee.

I couldn't use the repair kit because one of the pulleys at the top on the channel was almost ripped off it's mounting point and the repair kit didn't include any channels or the pulleys.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm keeping an eye on this as well. Both my front regulators in my 01 went out this winter and I'm about to replace them. My drivers rear has been out for over a year, but if the price is right, I'll do that one too.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 PM

OK. Tbird you and George are BOTH wrong. I just recieved the window regulator I ordered from Amazon for the Lincoln LS and it is NOT the same as the 2003 Jaguar S-Type. I mean the regulators are probably the same or similar but the motors are completely different and so is the plug in for the harness!!

Now what? I thought you guys had used this on your own cars??? How did you make this work if it's not even close to being the same motor and connector?

I'll post some pics later after I eat. I'm too frustrated to do it right now.

"EZ"

Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I only change what is bad. The motor is NOT the problem. Just get the regulator and not the motor. Be aware you must "clock" the motor to the regulator so the window will close and open all the way.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by EZrider800
OK. Tbird you and George are BOTH wrong. I just recieved the window regulator I ordered from Amazon for the Lincoln LS and it is NOT the same as the 2003 Jaguar S-Type. I mean the regulators are probably the same or similar but the motors are completely different and so is the plug in for the harness!!

Now what? I thought you guys had used this on your own cars??? How did you make this work if it's not even close to being the same motor and connector?

I'll post some pics later after I eat. I'm too frustrated to do it right now.

"EZ"
Swap the motor over from the Jag... The actual regulator is the same.

Unless your motor is bad - which I assumed it wasn't, because you went with the repair kit originally. You have to align the motor to make sure you have a full range of motion of the window...

Hope this helps..

Take Care,

George

Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 PM

OK. Here are some pictures so future S-Type owners will know what we're talking about when comparing the Jaguar S-Type power window regulators and the Lincoln LS power window regulators. As you can see in the pics the regulators look the same but the motors are different. The regulator assembly for the Jag cost about $230 and the one for the Lincoln LS can be had on Amazon.com and other places for $68.00 including shipping!! Looks like Jaguar likes to make a healthy profit margian at the expense of it's owners. My local dealer quoted me $600.00 to do this job so this is why I came here to find out how to save some money!!

The first two pics show the Jag & Lincoln regulators. Very similar. The next two pics show the Jag motor then the Lincoln motor. Very different! The next two pics are close ups of the Jag motor then the Lincoln motor so you can see some detail. The next two pics are close ups of the plugs. They are not even close! The Jag plug has 4 pins and the Lincoln plug has only two. No way to make this work. So I guess you have to hope your Jaguar motor is still good or you can't use this Lincoln regulator at all. The last pic is the stupid brittle plastic piece of crap that is the cause of the whole problem. There are supposed to be two **** or pins on this plastic piece of crap but as you can see mine is broken. Once this happens the window will fall down into the door and you will hear all sorts of crunching noises as the cables come off their tracks and the carnage begins.

I hope this helps. I may post some more pics as I try to put this all back together. Somehow I see I'm supposed to "clock" the Jag motor on the Lincoln regulator so I can get my window all the way up and down. This should be fun. As you can tell I'm not real happy with my Jaguar right now.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-2003styperegulator.jpg   2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-lincolnls.jpg   2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-2003jagpwindowreg.jpg   2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-lincolnlsmotor2.jpg   2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-2003jagpwindowmotor.jpg  

2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-lincolnlsmotor.jpg   2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-2003jagpwindowplug.jpg   2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-lincolnlsplug.jpg   2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-brokenclip2003jag.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
desertcat (03-22-2013)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Can someone that has done this before explain how to swap these motors so that the window will go up and down correctly? By clocking are you talking about winding the cable around that pulley evenly or what?

Sorry to be such a pain but from the way it sounded this was going to be a direct bolt in and it's not so I'm rebuilding this thing anyway. I thought I was getting away from that when I sent that rebuild kit back.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Remove the motor from one and install it on the new regulator. Install the regulator and close up the door. After all of that is done operate the window, the motor is self adjusting to the application. I hope this helps!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I take back what I said about R&R of the motor. On your set both appear to be different after looking closer to the photos the mounting bracket the motor housing and plug. Are you sure you got the right regulator? I will look the next time.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

George is right BUT only to a degree. If the motor and regulator are too far out of sync the window will not operate all the way or will always be in "Bounce Back" mode. There is a limited amount of self-adjusting built into the system.

What I meant by "clocking" is to make sure the motor is all the way up or down and then install it into the regulator when it is in the same position. I did not know about this and my window would only go up 3/4 of the way. Most P/W motors turn off when they stall out but Jaguar has a safety system so that if something is caught between the window and the frame the motor will reverse so you don't get pinched. This is why the motor must synchronized with the window so it "knows" where the window is.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

One other tip; Be sure and clean out all the broken plastic bits in the bottom of the door. They will stay in there and rattle around. You might not hear it but the Jaguar is pretty quiet.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 PM

Both of my regulators just shipped today. Here goes nutten.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

So can you just switch over the motors or do you need to change the whole drive arangement.
It looks like the LS motor has the cables going directly to the motor and the Jag unit has the electrical connection integral with the drive casting.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Are you sure you got the right regulator?
I ordered what Tbird6 and Androulakis told me to order. They said they had used the Lincoln LS regulator on their own cars and it worked like a charm. Obviously you have to do a lot of parts swapping before it'll work and you don't even get to use the new motor that you just paid for.

If I would have known this in advance I would have just ordered the right thing and paid the extra money and been done with it.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 S-Type Power Window Problem-dormanpartnumber.jpg  

Last edited by EZrider800; 05-06-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I would have just ordered the right thing and paid the extra money and been done with it.

Wheres the fun in that???????

Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

I ordered what Tbird6 and Androulakis told me to order. They said they had used the Lincoln LS regulator on their own cars and it worked like a charm. Obviously you have to do a lot of parts swapping before it'll work and you don't even get to use the new motor that you just paid for.

If I would have known this in advance I would have just ordered the right thing and paid the extra money and been done with it.
Please don't think I'm being condescending here but this really Isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.

First of all the regulator and the motor are two separate, independently exchangeable parts. Ford even sells the LS regulator with or without the motor. So take the LS motor off, put it to the side and forget about it, and the fact that the wiring is different etc. That's neither here nor there.

The Jag motor is fine. I've never heard of an S-Type power window motor failing. It's always the clips that break causing the cable to come off the pulley and subsequently get mangled.

FYI: The $260 Jaguar regulator ships w/o a motor. They are completely separate parts in the Jaguar parts system..

So... Step one, take the glass off the old regulator, pull it out of the car, and set it aside.

Step 2 - press the power window switch all the way down. Hold it for a second (so the car assumes the window is all the way down)

Step 3 pull out the old regulator and motor.

Step 4 - Install new regulator, and reinstall motor. Line up the regulator so it is at the bottom of the door, and attach cable to new pulley. Reconnect electrical harness, and test range of motion.

If you make it all the way to the top, and back down, reinstall the glass. If not you're going to have to shift the "center point" of the cable on the pulley until you do.

This is NO different than changing the regulator with a Jag part, except for the fact that you have to remove the LS motor that came with it.

Take care,

George

Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the extra write up and clarification George. That helps. I'll see what I can do and will take more pics as I go.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:29 PM

I second EZrider800. If it weren't for the folks on this forum, I'm not so sure we'd be happy with our car.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 PM

I tell ya one thing I sure wouldn't be paying the dealer $600 to fix this stupid thing no matter what! I guess I can put up with a little frustration to save $520.

Quick Reply: 2003 S-Type Power Window Problem