S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S-Type Questions About The Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2003 S-Type Questions About The Interior Lights

Please bear with me, as I have several questions about the overhead console in my new-to-me 2003 Jaguar S-Type 3.0.

I have found that the little lights on each side in the overhead console are Sylvania bulb #2825. I am trying to figure out what bulb type goes in the center of the console. Is this a Sylvania bulb #6411, or is it something else entirely? There was a Sylvania bulb #587 in the center spot but it does not work. What bulb is supposed to be in the center spot on the overhead console?

Next, is the overhead console center light supposed to come on when you open the door? The lights in the back and the lights under the dash come on but no lights in the overhead console come on when the door is opened.

The map lights will not come on when the interior lights are on (either from the center light button being pushed on the overhead console, or the doors being open) and I am wondering if this is normal? Again the center light in the console never comes on no matter what.

Finally, the map lights will dim when both of them are on at the same time and I am not sure whether this is standard or there is something wrong that I need to look into?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by coreytrice
I am trying to figure out what bulb type goes in the center of the console. Is this a Sylvania bulb #6411, or is it something else entirely?
Don't know.

Next, is the overhead console center light supposed to come on when you open the door?
Yes, should come on and stay lit for awhile (probably about 30-60 secs) before it goes out. It will go out sooner if you start the car.

The map lights will not come on when the interior lights are on (either from the center light button being pushed on the overhead console, or the doors being open) and I am wondering if this is normal? Again the center light in the console never comes on no matter what.
My map lights only come on when I push their respective buttons and stay on until I push their buttons again. They never come on when the door opens.

Finally, the map lights will dim when both of them are on at the same time and I am not sure whether this is standard or there is something wrong that I need to look into?
This does not happen on my car; both lights stay bright whether either or both of them are on. I suggest you check your battery.

There is also a very dim light that shines directly down from the overhead light console onto the shifter console whenever my headlights are on. A very nice feature to keep the shifter area lit inside the dark interior.

The following users liked this post:
coreytrice (01-13-2014)
Old 05-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the overhead console center light supposed to come on when you open the door? The lights in the back and the lights under the dash come on but no lights in the overhead console come on when the door is opened.

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Hi

I'm having precisely the same symptoms.

Did you get it fixed please?

Last edited by raistlin295; 05-17-2015 at 05:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (05-20-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK,

Got it fixed anyway

For completeness and to assist anybody else faced with the same curious set of fault indications, what had happened was that the plastic of the bulb holder had cracked in places, allowing short cirtcuits between the three discrete bulb circuits. The plastic hadn't been the subject of any direct damage but rather was due solely to the deterioration of the material over time. This in turn burned out a part of the PCB in the console itself.

The bulb holder costs about £25 from a dealer, using this part number:- C2S44405. There are plenty of consoles on fleabay from which one can easily extract the PCB to replace a burned out original.

Last edited by raistlin295; 05-24-2015 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Decided to add what I hope is helpful info.