S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S Type R Trans drain & Refill HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2003 S Type R Trans drain & Refill HELP!

I'm trying to get my trans drained and refilled. I purchased the car at 78,850 in good shape. It only had the lurch as most do from my readings. It now has 90,012 miles and It has sense developed a slightly very faint rough shift from 1 -2. In the interest of maintaining this car I love so much I want to take care of it and extend its life as much as possible. I have gotten estimates from the dealer and several others the cheapest being AAMCO $199.00 including new parts and zf fluid. Given the prices I have read others have paid for this service I find this price fishy. In addition the guy at AAMCO said he has never heard that the fluid had to run out at a certain temperature and that this whole process is done by a machine not a flush machine mind you but a different machine. My question is if during the drain refill the engine never comes on and the oil doesn't heat up how the hell do you get all the oil from the torque converter? I'm not very mechanical beyond the oil change or I would do it myself but this just doesn't sound right. Can some of you vets help this rookie out. I need the service done to sleep better at night. I sent them an email asking about the temperature below is the reply I got back.

Good afternoon. I showed this procedure to the transmission technician here and this is something that we normally do not do. If this is a requirement from Jaguar we suggest that you have this service performed with them as we do not want to void any warranties or cause internal damage to your transmission. Our machine purges the fluid from the transmission and torque converter then replenishes it with the requisite manufacturer’s fluid. Feel free to give me a call if you have any additional questions and enjoy the remainder of your Tuesday.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,216 Posts

dqwatson,

I know of a long ago member not publicising a ZF6HP26 transmission being replaced in his 2003, 3.0 S Type by AAMCO. They did just a replacment tranny without the torque converter. I worked on the tranny (replaced sleeve and pan/filter) a year or so after.

I can tell you, their work was clean and the transmission was filled with what appeared to be LifeGuard6, due to the color (when I drained). I had asked Joel how old is the ATF and he admitted he blew up the original tranny about a year and half or so ago.

I see that you have read the FAQs in the "Transmission Portion" here recently. You have the facts. I would lean on AAMCO for a bit more information, such as how many ZF6HP26 autoboxes they do a year, how does the purge machine know when the autobox is at the correct level...exactly.

I believe that AAMCO will warranty their work, correct and for how long?

How is your area of Maryland?