S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S Type Rear Window Regulator Change With Pics FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 10:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default *****

Thanks Norri and all. The instructions are excellent and still needed.

I changed window regulators on my 2001 S Type more times than I care to remember. The ’07 that I acquired in 2015 seemed to have been improved because no regulator failures…. until now. When I heard the crunch of cable and nylon in the rear door I knew I was in for a regulator change and ordered a new one without even removing the door panel.

The new regulator arrived and I pulled out the broken one out. My favorite “auction” site had failed me. The listing said this regulator was a replacement for the correct Jag part number for facelift cars but the part did not match and would not fit my car. Make sure the regulator you order looks like Norri’s photos and not like the photo I have attached even if the configuration guide says it fits your facelift Jag. Note the differences in the structure around the spool and the direction the (non-threaded) motor attachment points.

Found and ordered another regulator with a photo that matched my original regulator. Then checked the forum for this thread because things had obviously changed a lot from my days changing the ’01 regulators.

The picture matching regulator gets here and, unbelievably, the same ***** is still making the replacements and I had to tap the motor mount receptacles (M6X1.0). The motor is quickly mounted and I’m thinking it will now be even easier than the ’01 but the ***** who made it had another trick up his sleeve. The spool was in a bind and would not rotate freely enough to operate the window! I found the hole for the motor shaft was not centered in the recess that locates the spool. As the motor shaft located in the off center hole rotates, it drives the spool into wall of the recess it is no longer centered in. The mis-location of the hole can be seen in the attached photo. Being worn out by the multiple *****s and without confidence that the newest ***** could supply a good part, I modified my regulator. My fix was successful and I will explain it here if there is interest.

I suggest all readers changing regulators beware of the *****s, locate a M6X10 tap, and check the concentricity of the motor shaft hole with the spool.

The following 2 users liked this post by Smeghead:
aholbro1 (05-26-2021), kr98664 (05-23-2021)