S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 STR Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 STR Electrical Problem

I have had an 03 STR sitting in a barn that I bought 6-7 years ago as a basketcase. The car originally was impounded after it was left on the side of the road due to blown head gaskets. The towing company that I bought it from began to tear it down to repair and gave up on it. I bought it from them and it has remained untouched until the beginning of last week. I bought a wrecked 03 STR for parts, got it to run, then tore it down for the parts I needed to complete mine. My car is now assembled, with new fluids and battery, and is exhibiting some strange electrical phenomena.

1) Starter doesnt engage when ignition is turned to start position
2) Headlights flash on for less than a second then turn off when key is turned to on position
3) Display on cluster says that RF/LF/RR/LR lights have faults, and I cannot get any lights to come on whatsoever
4) Radio, AC controls, gauges, warning lights in cluster, power windows, and power seats all work
5) My scan tool has communication with PCM and all sensor values seem to be in order
6) I have double checked all of the electrical connections that I remember touching while installing engine
7) I have 60 ohms across pins 6 and 14 of OBD port (which is normal based on what I have read online thus far)
8) Fuel pump is not running, inertia switch is not tripped
9) Anti theft light on dash flashes for about a minute then gives code 11
10) I have compared fuse and relay panels between parts car that ran and my car, all fuses and relays are in correct positions
11) Key that came with car (which ran when impounded as far as I can remember) is not a blade style fob, but just a normal chip looking key like you might see on a late model Ford

I am sure that I have left things out that I have observed, just wondering if anyone with more experience and knowledge than I has any insight or ideas. I do not have access to Jaguar scan tool, and I am not willing to tow it into the local dealership. There are a few independent Jag shops in my area, but I don't think that they will be open this weekend. If anyone knows an independent or dealership Jag mechanic who moonlights, I would be happy to pay a fair price for their time. I've worked way too many late nights over the past two weeks to walk away from the car right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Old 09-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by DaviMac424
I have had an 03 STR sitting in a barn that I bought 6-7 years ago as a basketcase. The car originally was impounded after it was left on the side of the road due to blown head gaskets. The towing company that I bought it from began to tear it down to repair and gave up on it. I bought it from them and it has remained untouched until the beginning of last week. I bought a wrecked 03 STR for parts, got it to run, then tore it down for the parts I needed to complete mine. My car is now assembled, with new fluids and battery, and is exhibiting some strange electrical phenomena.

1) Starter doesnt engage when ignition is turned to start position
2) Headlights flash on for less than a second then turn off when key is turned to on position
3) Display on cluster says that RF/LF/RR/LR lights have faults, and I cannot get any lights to come on whatsoever
4) Radio, AC controls, gauges, warning lights in cluster, power windows, and power seats all work
5) My scan tool has communication with PCM and all sensor values seem to be in order
6) I have double checked all of the electrical connections that I remember touching while installing engine
7) I have 60 ohms across pins 6 and 14 of OBD port (which is normal based on what I have read online thus far)
8) Fuel pump is not running, inertia switch is not tripped
9) Anti theft light on dash flashes for about a minute then gives code 11
10) I have compared fuse and relay panels between parts car that ran and my car, all fuses and relays are in correct positions
11) Key that came with car (which ran when impounded as far as I can remember) is not a blade style fob, but just a normal chip looking key like you might see on a late model Ford

I am sure that I have left things out that I have observed, just wondering if anyone with more experience and knowledge than I has any insight or ideas. I do not have access to Jaguar scan tool, and I am not willing to tow it into the local dealership. There are a few independent Jag shops in my area, but I don't think that they will be open this weekend. If anyone knows an independent or dealership Jag mechanic who moonlights, I would be happy to pay a fair price for their time. I've worked way too many late nights over the past two weeks to walk away from the car right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Three thoughts:

1) Battery shot (check date) - and replace
2) PATS (alarm system) tripped/enabled...
3) Key not properly programmed to car - refer back to #2

Issues #2 & 3 will need Jaguar level diagnostics to rectify.

Welcome to the forum. Please stop by new members section and post an intro...

Last edited by abonano; 09-16-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery is brand new, manufactured 8/16. Voltage has been 12.0+ as I have tested fuses and so forth with meter. I even threw a set of jumper cables on it which brought it over 12.5, made no difference.

I too suspect that PATS is related, and I am unsure what (if anything) can be done at this point without better diagnostic equipment than I have. It seems that code 11 points to the transceiver around ignition switch. If I were to swap the ignitions between the two cars, would one work in the other without reprogramming?

Thank you for the reply and for the welcome.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

May well be no fuel i.e. pump not running / filter blocked. PATS irrelevant if so.

But, otherwise, details of PATS are on the site (roughly, should go out if it's happy when you try to start, else flash a code - keep watching and count).

Old 09-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
May well be no fuel i.e. pump not running / filter blocked. PATS irrelevant if so.

But, otherwise, details of PATS are on the site (roughly, should go out if it's happy when you try to start, else flash a code - keep watching and count).
Be mindful, that if PATS is active, no ECM functions. No fuel, no coil, no starter.

I would suggest to the original poster to obtain a copy of the service manual and start pinpoint tests under Powertrain, Starter. No start condition. It will help you determine PATS status as well. If you are unfamiliar with Jaguar, you may want to enlist someone who has knowledge and SDD to diagnose.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

There's a No Start guide PDF on the site, too.