S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 STR for Sale ($16,795)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Update: the car was still available as of Saturday. I'm guessing that the price is a bit more negotiable now if anybody is still interested.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this car for sale online in late July/early August--easy for me to remember because I was actively looking for one at that time, and my wife regularly travels to Chantilly. Hard to imagine the price would be any more flexible now than a month ago...

Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

The depreciation on these cars is amazing!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Yes it is which is why I decided to take advantage of buying one. You just have to remember that when it's time to sell. They're not popular. When you look at it objectively I think there are some reasons why this is so.
I happen to like the look of the car. The retro styling works for me on this model but not as much of the standard S-Type. I'm not so sure that's true in the larger car buying public.

Jags still suffer from a perception of reliability issues. The Audi/Merc/BMW do better on this point

The car has far less equipment on it than an Audi S6. The Audi has a nicer interior and 4 wheel drive. There's also a huge difference in the quality of the interior of this car and that of an XJR. I think XJRs are a bargain too though.

For these reasons I think it was overpriced to begin with.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the performance!

So let's enjoy the bargin!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

The AWD S6 is 450HP isn't it? (Over here it's an RS6. Much more expensive to run than an STR.)

Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
The AWD S6 is 450HP isn't it? (Over here it's an RS6. Much more expensive to run than an STR.)
It's my understanding that the RS6 had 450 hp and was available in the US, but was fairly limited. The S6 had 340 hp. At the time, the RS6 was running around $80K US and the STR was about $63K US.

I have the base versions of the Jaguar S-Type and the Audi A6 and have found that the Jaguar interior is nicer and more comfortable than the Audi. The Audi has slightly more features though. The Jaguar is quicker and more sporty than the Audi, but the Audi will be better in marginal conditions. The Audi is also a wagon so it's handier for errands and the like.

Mike

Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

If its between a RS6 or an STR you are gonna want an STR. Just the prevenative maintenance costs will kill you on an RS6 if you dont wrench on your own car. Hell even if you do wrench on it it will hurt. Not to mention the transmission problems they have. The RS6 was on my list when I was looking at a new car and the transmission problems alone was enough to make me rethink one.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Would someone friggin offer $14K for this car! It's beautiful and the mileage is kinda certified since she has a clear title and a licensed dealership is sellin her.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

LOL - I wasn't necessarily suggesting getting an RS6. (I did contemplate it, though, till I figured out the actual costs of ownership!)

Old 11-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm
It's my understanding that the RS6 had 450 hp and was available in the US, but was fairly limited. The S6 had 340 hp. At the time, the RS6 was running around $80K US and the STR was about $63K US.

I have the base versions of the Jaguar S-Type and the Audi A6 and have found that the Jaguar interior is nicer and more comfortable than the Audi. The Audi has slightly more features though. The Jaguar is quicker and more sporty than the Audi, but the Audi will be better in marginal conditions. The Audi is also a wagon so it's handier for errands and the like.

Mike
Yeah, I was thinking RS6. That monster! My friend is looking at a 2 or 3 year old S6 right now. That one has the the V10 in it. It really guzzles the gas. At least the STR is somewhat better.

I shopped for an A6 with the sport features and an Allroad back in 2001. The interiors in both of those cars is of superior quality to my STR. Audi just does fabulous interiors. I even prefer the interior of my 90 Q45 in terms of layout, design and appearance. That was a bright white and black interior very similar color contrasts to the STR. Those seats weren't all that comfortable. The STR seats are OK and better on long trips than I thought they would be. The leather just looks cheap to me. Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled as I have several Italian cars with much more interesting interiors.

Bob S.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this car on Autotrader. Last week I ended up getting an '03 with 5000 less miles in amazing condition (1 owner) in southern Virginia for $15,000. No NAV though.

There was one in Florida the week prior that got away from me, someone else bought it while I was trying to make a deal. Also $15000 and only 36K miles, with NAV.

But these cars aren't always available with such mileage. Gotta keep an eye out.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I searched for about a year and a half before I found my 03 STR with about 23k miles on the odometer. Black interior with the metallic black paint (i think it's "midnight" on the earlier STR's....I think later on "midnight" is a blue color...?).

A lot of searching, a little bit of luck.....

Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I searched for about a year and a half before I found my 03 STR with about 23k miles on the odometer. Black interior with the metallic black paint (i think it's "midnight" on the earlier STR's....I think later on "midnight" is a blue color...?).

A lot of searching, a little bit of luck.....
I think you might be referring to Indigo Blue. I have found that figuring out the Jaguar color schemes over a period of years is somewhat of a black art. As an example, the Zircon on my 2005 S-Type is the same as the current Frost Blue. The metallic paint in years past might have been Midnight, but the current color is Ultimate Black. Probably the same paint code though.

Mike

Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input carelm.

I was digging for some touch up paint and came across a site that had some listings for Jaguar paint by model year. Now my car isn't "black" per say, it's got metallic chunks of purple, blue, and charcoal...it looks black from a distance but up close its more of a charcoal grey, but not the slate grey color.

You can plug your make and year in this site and it will pull up the PPG colors http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/
I need to go out and get my paint code off of the car and cross check, but I think I have "midnight mica." I put in 2003 and got the listing. There is an Indigo metallic too. Of course other sites show two Midnight Mica colors with two different codes for same freaking year. I remember seeing one site that had a midnight blue but can't remember which one.

There are some cars for sale that are listed as "midnight blue" but perhaps that is really indigo: http://gtcarlot.com/car/19356480

http://www.mb-kc.com/used-inventory/2008-Jaguar-S_Type

I've seen references to E-Types that were Midnight Blue as well. Apparently the Jaguar Color department ran out of creative paint names at some point.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:09 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh very droll, Carelm - a "black art" (for a black car). Good gag. That slightly starmisted gray color on Jags. I had on the Citroen C4, I called it 'gunmetallic gray'.
Leedsman.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hey what's that and how did it get on here? Is anyone else seeing this ?

I'm using the Google Chrome browser at the moment and this "Google TV" ad appears as just another post but with no user. I don't remember seeing such a thing with Explorer which is now dead and buried on my XP workstation.

Up to now I was really liking this browser too. Google scares the crap out of me at times like this.

Bob S.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

So after posting that it disappears. Sorry guys not germane to the thread but I just noticed a bit of funny goings on with the website.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

If you are not logged in it will show post ads. Once you are logged in they go away. Its one of the perks of being a member you dont have to go through the ad posts to read the info. I've seen alot of forums set up like this. I go to this site from a few different computers so I noticed it too.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
So after posting that it disappears. Sorry guys not germane to the thread but I just noticed a bit of funny goings on with the website.
Been dipping into the holiday egg nog a wee bit early have we Bob?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Egg Nog my **** ...

It happened again and I know I should get a screens shot of it so you know I'm not seeing things but what it does is copy the date & time from you post leaves out the poster iD and then just plops the add in there as though it's a post.

Next time I promise I wont wait to finish the egg nog before I snap a screen shot ...

I wonder if the website operator doesn't know a thing about it and Google gets all the advertising revenue? How many people use Google Chrome as a browser?

Quick Reply: 2003 STR for Sale ($16,795)