S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Stype LCD Display broken, any idea how to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 Stype LCD Display broken, any idea how to replace?

I have a 2003 Jaguar S-Type with an LCD display problem. The large screen for the CD/Radio is completely blank. The small screen for the heat/air looks OK. I don't have a phone, a CD changer or a navigation unit. At night, the backlights for both LCD screens work, but the radio screen still doesn't show anything on it. The radio and CD player themselves work -- I can listen to music, change channels, skip through songs on a CD, etc. But I can't see anything on the screen.

I've had this car for many years with this problem and had no inclination to fix it, about 5 years ago they told me it would be $1000 to fix it. Any idea now how I could go about doing it? What part would I need... could I put a newer style lcd display in there with satellite radio or something?

Thanks for the help guys, hope someone has run into something similar before!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

I'm struggling a bit but that sounds like the satnav-type touchscreen. Are you sure you don't have satnav? You'd have a button top right of screen saying NAV. Nav unit would be in the trunk. In mine it's at the left behind a carpet flap.

I'm really hoping you have the nav as that is a way to fix it

The following users liked this post:
wiperblades2013 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM

Haha, I definitely don't think I have a NAV unit. Owned the car 5 years now with this same problem, would have been a shame to have navigation the whole time!

But yeah, 100% sure I don't have navvy. I guess the easiest way to imagine it is the screen with the radio (where I presume it would show up with the station/artist/song maybe), is just completely blank. Has been for 5 years. The screen with the AC/heat stuff works fine though. I can change the radio station, or change the base/treble/etc by just fumbling through it blindly, but it has never displayed any text.

Does that give a clearer picture?

Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Stype LCD Display broken, any idea how to replace?-scf2wg.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

I think you're right but sadly I know nothing about that kind of unit.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM

No worries, thanks for trying anyways. Very much appreciated

Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

buy a replacement unit on E-Bay...Removing the old unit is easy... real easy.

Jaguar s Type 03 04 Radio CD Player 2R83 18B876 AG | eBay

A quick search found one for $40, and others.....

A little more scratched... from the same seller... $25

03 04 Jaguar s Type Radio CD Player 2R83 18B876 AE | eBay

There are a bunch... Here is the generic search

Jaguar S Type Radio | eBay

Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Would something more modern be able to fit do you know off hand? Or would installing one with navigation or satellite radio be too hard to do?

Thanks again you guys are great I love reading through these threads now and learning more about a car I've owned for so long and thought very little of over that period

Cheers!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

Yes, you can upgrade the sound system. It will take a bit more work, but it has been done. It all depends on your budget. Do a search here on "aftermarket radio" and you should see a bunch.

Now, at the price point used units are, I would just replace it. If you do decide to replace it, remember, you will probably still need to visit the dealer to reset the anti-theft code on the replacement.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Yeah I was looking up doing a sat nav touch screen install, but it's out of my league and frankly I don't want to spend $2k doing it.

I guess I'll just pick up one of these off ebay. After I install, will it just not work until I take it to a dealer you're saying? So I won't know if I installed it correctly until they go to put in the code?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by wiperblades2013
Yeah I was looking up doing a sat nav touch screen install, but it's out of my league and frankly I don't want to spend $2k doing it.

I guess I'll just pick up one of these off ebay. After I install, will it just not work until I take it to a dealer you're saying? So I won't know if I installed it correctly until they go to put in the code?
It may or may not... It may be smart enough to know it is in a different car.. I pulled mine and then put it back when I installed my Sat Radio, and it didn't need a code to power up.

The unit will power up and ask you to input a code. If the seller doesn't have it, just go to the dealer and they will reset it.

You really can't install it wrong. You simply pull the shifter bezel to remove the ashtray, pull the trim ring off the center stack, then the radio slides out after removing 4 screws. Two plugs and the antennae lead and your done. Reverse to install. The plugs only go in one way..
It really is that easy, about a 20 minute job, start to finish.

If it was me, I'd bring the simple tools with me and do it in the dealer parking lot 30 minutes before my appointment.. and be done with it...

wiperblades2013 (04-07-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 PM

As always, thanks pal. Hope you enjoy your night! I'll cheers to you sir!

Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
It may or may not... It may be smart enough to know it is in a different car.. I pulled mine and then put it back when I installed my Sat Radio, and it didn't need a code to power up.

The unit will power up and ask you to input a code. If the seller doesn't have it, just go to the dealer and they will reset it.

You really can't install it wrong. You simply pull the shifter bezel to remove the ashtray, pull the trim ring off the center stack, then the radio slides out after removing 4 screws. Two plugs and the antennae lead and your done. Reverse to install. The plugs only go in one way..
It really is that easy, about a 20 minute job, start to finish.

If it was me, I'd bring the simple tools with me and do it in the dealer parking lot 30 minutes before my appointment.. and be done with it...

I'd like to post an update for anyone reading this in the future (HELLO!):

This advice was great.

1. Take off the shifter bezel first (snaps off, trim around the shifter)
2. Open the center console, take out the cupholder - one screw in each compartment floor (2 total). This allows you to remove the center console, which frees up the trim of the stereo console. It starts at the bottom around the shifter bezel and goes to the top of the stereo unit (leather trim).
3. Pop off the leather trim
4. 2 screws near the ashtray, remove
5. I assume here is where you COULD remove the ashtray unit, but mine wouldn't come out no matter what I did.
6. Instead I took the 2 screws that were holding the warning flasher light console (wedged between the stereo unit I was replacing, and the ashtray unit), then that came out.
7. Then I removed the 4 screws that were holding the entire stereo+climate control unit. Two near the top, two near the bottom facing out to you. You'll probably need a special screwdriver type for this, I forget what tool I used of my pops.
8. You can pull the entire encasing out now, and there are 2 more screws that are holding the stereo piece in. Once I took those out, the unit came out and I unplugged the 3 wires (antenna + 2 others), used a flat head to lift the plastic safetey 'lips' that hold them in.
9. Replaced the good stereo, put everything back together backwards. Stereo worked without a code FWIW Finally have a working LCD screen there and was able to clean some hard to get to trim pieces in the process, so things look cleaner

Thanks again dude!! GL to anyone in the future.

Norri (04-07-2013)