S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Stype, Replaced water header tank, now aircon blows hot only!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2003 Stype, Replaced water header tank, now aircon blows hot only!

Greetings Members, last week I did a favour for a friend by replacing her broken radiator header tank and topped up her antifreeze. it took us a day to get rid of the "low coolant level" message.
However, now a week later she tells me her air-con has only produced hot air ever since. She went to the air-con chappie who re-gassed her air-con system for her but it is still the same.
Can some one please politely suggest what I have done wrong or not done correctly or sufficiently?

Do I need to 'bleed' the water system of air, Is that why there is that small threaded cap in the top?

Look forward to hearing from you all.
DP.

PS. I tried looking on the S-Type threads but it would only allow me to view the first 2 out of 6 pages. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapingCat
Greetings Members, last week I did a favour for a friend by replacing her broken radiator header tank and topped up her antifreeze. it took us a day to get rid of the "low coolant level" message.
However, now a week later she tells me her air-con has only produced hot air ever since. She went to the air-con chappie who re-gassed her air-con system for her but it is still the same.
Can some one please politely suggest what I have done wrong or not done correctly or sufficiently?

Do I need to 'bleed' the water system of air, Is that why there is that small threaded cap in the top?

Look forward to hearing from you all.
DP.

PS. I tried looking on the S-Type threads but it would only allow me to view the first 2 out of 6 pages. Thanks.
Hi DP, yes you should bleed the coolant circuit but I suspect that has nothing to do with the air-con not working.

Did you undo any electrical connectors apart from the one on the header tank?

Old 09-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Hiya Dave, I only unplugged the sensor under the header tank. I did not touch anything else.
Question:- When you say "bleed the coolant circuit" I presume I run from cold with the small opening open and main cap closed?
Or...can you direct me to a instruction detail in this web site.
I am a recent new member and am still groping my way round the system.
Many thanks.. DaveP.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapingCat
Hiya Dave, I only unplugged the sensor under the header tank. I did not touch anything else.
Question:- When you say "bleed the coolant circuit" I presume I run from cold with the small opening open and main cap closed?
Or...can you direct me to a instruction detail in this web site.
I am a recent new member and am still groping my way round the system.
Many thanks.. DaveP.

Hi Dave, well personally I wouldn't do it initially with the engine running, as that means the pump running and you will probably find that loads of coolant gets pushed out.

All you need to do is have plenty of the correct diluted coolant ready, open the header tank cap then open the bleed valve on the header and the other one next to the brake master cylinder, pour diluted coolant into the header tank until coolant free of bubbles comes out of both bleed valves.

Then close both bleed valves and run the engine for a day or two and check both bleed valves for any air.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

The first question is why he "re-gassed" the A/C?

You only do that if it's low and that means it has a leak? Otherwise he should have just connected the gauges to verify the high and low side pressures were correct.

Any idea how much he added? If the A/C system pressures are to low or to high the cooling won't be right.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:15 PM

Hi TBird6,
I am not sure why she went and got the a/c regassed.
Anyway, a week later she told me the air con was blowing cold air from the side vents and warm air from the top vents.
I expect to see her again this coming weekend, but as with the autumn coming on I don't expect she will be worried about having aircon working.
However, there is next summer and I hate niggling problems snagging on like this so I would like to solve it once and for all.
Do you reckon it could be that there is an air blockage in the waterway..? or is that just the sort of problem much older cars got.
Regards, DaveP.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

That's the classic sign of a failed Dual Climate Control Valve (DCCV)....

Old 10-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,945 Posts

+1 on DCCV (aka water heater valve)

Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts
Old 10-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the DCCV is the prime suspect. But don't let her run the car with a failed DCCV.

We have found out most of them fail and start drawing too much current. This excessive current can take out the climate control module. Now it can be fixed so you don't have to replace the module but it's unnecessary if you change the DCCV in a short time.

The following users liked this post:
larrymelton (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you didn't accidently pull the molex connector off the Dccv. I replaced mine and there are lots of hoses running thru that general area also.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are correct Tbird6 I pulled the climate control module and found 4 copper traces burnt on the pc board, along with a new Dccv everything worked great

Old 10-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

You can install protection circuits in the CCM so a bad DCCV won't burn it out again.
That should have been done by the factory!

Did you fix the CCM or just replace it?