S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 roof console removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 roof console removal

Hi all, I've got the dreaded 'roof lining dropping' disease. Ive looked at the forums and read the 2002 removal thread but my roof console is different and I cant figure out how it comes out. My next option is a sledge hammer (as my temper deteriorates that becommes increasingly attractive) but am slightly concerned about damaging the trim. Any thoughts, advice etc gratefully received

Old 04-05-2023, 09:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're talking about the S-type roof console where lighting is in...
There is a torx screw straight up when you open the sunglasses holder.
If you've taken this out it needs quite a bit of force pulling the plastic edge down from the roofliner.
I had to do this to install the external microphone, I was also afraid of breaking the plastic.
What I did is, I took a steel ruler and moved it between roofliner and plastic at the rear end (towards end of the car) to spread the forces a bit, then pulled it down.

Like you I was amazed with the force needed and just went for it; will buy a new one if it breaks.
But all was ok.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2023, 06:39 AM
jya
Received 171 Likes on 124 Posts

Its good advice by Han-s for the overhead console removal but it sounds like your roof's fabric lining is dropping.
Its quite a big problem but also a very common one. Not many S Type videos that I could find showing removal from the X202 on (they S Type's roofs were all similar from that point on) but a similar process to the earlier cars.
Roof does need to come out to get the job done properly; can't be done otherwise. A pillar, B pillar and C pillar plastic clips need to be popped off. Watch out removing the B pillars (seat belts) and the C pillars plastic tabs do break very easily.
Roof backing top surface is fibreglass so you need gloves. Roof will require some type of bending and or folding to get it out and it is likely to cause some cracking but that can usually be glued and will be covered over by the new fabric.
Probably the back seats are the best to remove to squish the roof through. Some prefer to remove a front seat and squish it through there as well.
There is a loom glued to the roofs top on the fibreglass surface. Will need disconnecting from the airbag sensors etc. Grab handles and lights and sun visors need removal first before anything.
If you find the exact fabric Ford/Jaguar used it does have a foam backing and is impossible to reapply without visible wrinkles. So maybe best to remove and reinstall yourself but take the roof to a pro shop for them to apply a similar fabric; some may look okay without the foam backing.
Usually the imitation Alcantara (microfibre type) fabrics are a good bet. Asian made and a fraction of the cost of Alcantara but much thinner. Beware, quality of these Alcantara copies does vary. This type of imitation suede has the look where on the darker colours all finger-marks are visible, not so bad on the lighter colours but that's part of the look.
Now you will end up with the by now sun bleached original Ford fabric so to not have the job appear that its been done on the cheap you will need to cover all the mentioned pillars and depending on the fabric of choice, the sun visors.
Oh, and of course the rear parcel shelf will have been severely sun-bleached as well so you will need to recover this area as well; that probably for another post.
Don't blame the car. Any beautiful car worth saving like the S Type will have similar issues.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for advice

Sorry for delay in getting back. Thanks to you both for your advice. Got the screw out and using a 300mm steel rule as advised but it won't shift. Girding loins now for another go.... you might hear my screams of frustration.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:00 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnbb
Sorry for delay in getting back. Thanks to you both for your advice. Got the screw out and using a 300mm steel rule as advised but it won't shift. Girding loins now for another go.... you might hear my screams of frustration.
English build-quality... just where you don't want it...

Good luck!