S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 XJ8 VP - How much should I offer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default 2004 XJ8 VP - How much should I offer?

Guys, I'm posting this in the S Type section cause I deal with you guys a lot and trust your opinions (XJ8 experts - feel free to chime in as well). I have an opportunity to potentially purchase a local 2004 XJ8 VP - 4.2 V8, 138K miles - Nice color combination, fully loaded - nav, xenon, rear DVD, CATS - car is real nice but has a "no start" condition - no electrical power to the engine due to possible water ingress in passenger compartment according to the owner.

I asked and received pics of the trunk and engine compartments - no evidence of water ingress.

I plan on looking at the car first hand at length - but if I decide to "pull the trigger" I would like your opinion as to what I should offer (or simply walk and look the other way) I have a price in mind - just curious.

For those of you that know me I am a DIY'er...

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by abonano
Guys, I'm posting this in the S Type section cause I deal with you guys a lot and trust your opinions (XJ8 experts - feel free to chime in as well). I have an opportunity to potentially purchase a local 2004 XJ8 VP - 4.2 V8, 138K miles - Nice color combination, fully loaded - nav, xenon, rear DVD, CATS - car is real nice but has a "no start" condition - no electrical power to the engine due to possible water ingress in passenger compartment according to the owner.

I asked and received pics of the trunk and engine compartments - no evidence of water ingress.

I plan on looking at the car first hand at length - but if I decide to "pull the trigger" I would like your opinion as to what I should offer (or simply walk and look the other way) I have a price in mind - just curious.

For those of you that know me I am a DIY'er...

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
Walk away. It's a sure bet it's a victim of Hurricane Sandy. You'll spend $$$ and time trying to repair the electrical gremlins as well as carpeting, leather upholstery etc. If you do insist on buying it offer no more than $2K.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

If you have access to IDS it'll tell you a lot about how things are.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

carelm has a point....it might be a sandy car

Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM

Agreed! I'm thinking it's a Sandy car as well - despite the owner claiming that the car wasn't submerged - but that leaves a lot open to chance as always... Thanks for the input! My line of thinking was even if I couldn't get past the electrical issues I would be able to squeeze out some $$$ by parting the vehicle out...

Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
If you have access to IDS it'll tell you a lot about how things are.
I unfortunately do not have access to IDS - I do have diagnostic software via my Matco Determinator - including a lab scope.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Count me in the "Sandy car" camp as well. I would run away fast....

Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Why don't you go look at it in detail? See if the owner will let you do a bit of digging? Be sure and put everything back when your done too. I would plan to pull up the carpet up in several places. If you have ever worked on a flood car you know where to look. Look very closely under the seats. These parts are very often not coated or painted and will rust quickly when wet.

Pull the covers off all the fuse boxes and look very closely for dirt and water stains. One of my best tricks is to pull an interior door panel off. I have seen the high water lines inside a door before.

Remember that the owner has cleaned the car up as much as possible but will be lazy and not go any deeper than surface stuff.

You could be looking at a great parts car too?? Don't know if you are interested in that but with a low price and EBay you could make some money!!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

abonano,

About 2-1/2 years ago, I purchased a used 2006 XJ8 VDP with about 34K on the odometer as a Certified Select Jaguar.

The CARFAX report was clean. After receiving the car, a few months passed. As I was winterizing it, I decided to go online and print off a copy of the AUTOCHECK report. That report flagged an air-bag deployment. After doing some more digging and contacting the previous owner, I discovered that the car was in a major front end collision -- so bad was the accident that they had to send the car to Nalley Jaguar and have the frame re-aligned, some new body panels put on, etc.. Luckily, I contacted the dealer and they were nice enough to take it back.

The lesson I learned was that I rushed too quickly and should have pulled all of the car reports and checked that all of the original VIN stickers were on each of the body panels.

There are plenty of other XJ8's out there that would not be as much a cause for concern as this one.

I realize you might have the urge to buy one now, but don't do it on this one. Let it pass and look for another.

If you purchase it, you will always wonder in the back of your head what other issues might lurk beneath that you may have missed on an inspection.

Take my advice and run away.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 01-30-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are currently nearly 1000 Jaguars listed at IAAI, and most of them are from Sandy. No telling how many Sandy cars are available from other sources.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,590 Likes on 8,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagtastic
There are currently nearly 1000 Jaguars listed at IAAI, and most of them are from Sandy. No telling how many Sandy cars are available from other sources.

One report I saw was about 250,000 + -....

Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

If you should decide that this car is not a Sandy vicitm, draw up a contingency agreement: With a small refundable down payment, the owner (at his/hers cost) takes the car to Jaguar for a determination of repair(s)?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

In the UK and Europe there are systems for checking whether a car has been an insurance write-off.

Do you have anything similar in the US of A?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

we do actually, its called CARFAX

the OP should look into getting one.

Problem is the CARFAX only shows what was claimed under the insurance. If the seller didnt report any damage to his insurance, it will come out squeeky clean

Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

I'll sell you a perfectly good running 04 XJ8 (non vdp though) with a documented trans rebuild, and new front control arms / tires etc for $5500. (that's what I have into it) It has 132k on the clock. Interior is really clean. Has had some paint work but it's decent.

The only thing the car needs is a new stereo amp - radio turns on but no sound out of the speakers.

It's a pretty cool and rare blue color too.

So yeah $1500 (if that) as a parts car or walk away.

Take care,

George

Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

2004 XJ8 VP - How much should I offer?

Your undies and a packet of nuts...seriously, buy a 2003 XJ (it's not got teething issues the early models)

Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Why don't you go look at it in detail? See if the owner will let you do a bit of digging? Be sure and put everything back when your done too. I would plan to pull up the carpet up in several places. If you have ever worked on a flood car you know where to look. Look very closely under the seats. These parts are very often not coated or painted and will rust quickly when wet.

Pull the covers off all the fuse boxes and look very closely for dirt and water stains. One of my best tricks is to pull an interior door panel off. I have seen the high water lines inside a door before.

Remember that the owner has cleaned the car up as much as possible but will be lazy and not go any deeper than surface stuff.

You could be looking at a great parts car too?? Don't know if you are interested in that but with a low price and EBay you could make some money!!
I went to look at the car this morning (for sh**s & giggles) - this car is CLEARLY a Sandy Victim!

Carpets still soaked, condensation all over the interior, the headliner and the seats feel squishy. Rust apparent under seat tracks and mold forming under the carpet.

I go to the trunk and pull the liner and sure enough water and rust in the spare tire well. Battery had heavy condensation.

Look at the engine - all lower pulleys heavily rusted.

I told the owner - "good luck and no thank you".

Thanks for the pointers...

Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Poor Jaguar. Perhaps someone will buy her for $500 then restore her?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:53 PM

The owner on the West Coast is having the car shipped anyway - he purchased the car for $3,150 + $1,500 = Wasted Money!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by abonano
The owner on the West Coast is having the car shipped anyway - he purchased the car for $3,150 + $1,500 = Wasted Money!
Believe it or not, he could probably part it out and make his money back... If he was so inclined. Did the car run and drive?

Granted it's going to be a nightmare, but with some careful thinking yeah it could work.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: 2004 XJ8 VP - How much should I offer?