Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Jag S-type R buying guide

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017 | 12:27 AM
|
Default 2005 Jag S-type R buying guide

Hi folks,

I came from next door by the XK8 dept, I am getting myself a new Jag and been eyeing for a S-type R... I saw one that peek my interest...it has 130K...so based on what I read thus far it seems like the engine and tranny are shared among the 2 platforms meaning ..it has zf6hp and problems inherited from the 4.2 thermostat housing...so I wonder if you guys can point other things to watch for with the Rtype? could the tranny last with 400hp? I've been maintaining my XK8 myself so I am hoping there's not much different here...am I wrong?

Old 08-14-2017 | 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

What problems with the thermostat? The R is different.

The ZF turns out very robust so what do you mean?

Old 08-14-2017 | 01:54 AM
|

Originally Posted by JagV8
What problems with the thermostat? The R is different.

The ZF turns out very robust so what do you mean?
The Jag engine in the Xk's has common issue with the thermostat housing being worn off to the point they are leaking, hence if not replaced you're engine could overheat....so as it shares the same engine as the Xk's I am assuming it'll have the same problems also.

The ZF question is just a question whether 400hp is not too much for the tranny to handle in the long run....meaning at 130K will be looking at a rebuilt soon?

Old 08-14-2017 | 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zidjan
The Jag engine in the Xk's has common issue with the thermostat housing being worn off to the point they are leaking, hence if not replaced you're engine could overheat....so as it shares the same engine as the Xk's I am assuming it'll have the same problems also.

The ZF question is just a question whether 400hp is not too much for the tranny to handle in the long run....meaning at 130K will be looking at a rebuilt soon?
The assumption seems wrong as I recall no-one having such a problem with an STR over the last 8 years.

The ZF can handle much more (and does as there are several cars running up to 700HP).

Instead of making assumptions you could read/search threads and see these things do not appear true.

Old 08-14-2017 | 02:58 PM

I believe your concerns with the thermostat housing could be warranted - look it over closely. Probably a bigger worry would be if the coolant hose under the supercharger has been replaced. Naturally, you want to pull code history and listen for unusually loud SC noise (could be getting close to needing to be rebuilt) and check for leaks around same and the myriad of vacuum and coolant hoses.
I would not be concerned with the ZF unless the car shows signs of not being cared for or beat.
BTW, someone has a silver STR for sale here on the forum classifieds with similar mileage but nearly everything possibly needing replacement has been done - it looks really nice. Oh yeah, it's dirt cheap, too

Old 08-14-2017 | 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DigitalDisaster
I believe your concerns with the thermostat housing could be warranted - look it over closely.
OK... what is this concern? Where are the posts from STR owners suffering it?

Old 08-14-2017 | 04:08 PM

My STR has done 163k miles and still going strong ?

'Valley pipe' under the supercharger is a common problem but probably already been done on a 130k car.

Gearbox seems to last if the oil and filter are replaced ?

Old 08-15-2017 | 12:37 AM

I believe the thermostat housing on the STR is different from the NA 4.2. No major problems for me. Lots of rubber and plastic bits that are starting to age. ZF works great now that I topped off the fluid level. 132,000 miles, hits triple digit speeds with little effort.

Old 08-15-2017 | 01:01 AM
Veteran Member

It is different. That is why I asked why there is a claimed issue.

Old 08-15-2017 | 06:56 AM

I have had mine for 4 years and it has 150k on it now. Never had a thermostat housing issue, the thermostat has been replaced. One thing to watch for: the headlamps drooping. There is a very easy fix for this posted in the forum. I took it a little further and drilled out 3/6" holes and used a course threaded lag with the tip filed flat to give more of a surface against the headlamp bracket. Also check the suspension, at 100k or so will need to replace the bushings.

Old 08-15-2017 | 01:04 PM
|

Thank you guys, yeah I didn't do much research yet just because I know the engine and the transmission are the same...the thermostat housing is a "When" problem in the XK ...I've heard about the SC valley pipe too...I know I missed the STR that was on the classified ...it was dirt cheap.

Anyway, is there preferable year between 2003, 2004, 2005?? are they basically the same cars??