S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Jaguar S-Type - Limp Mode HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Jaguar S-Type - Limp Mode HELP!

Usual bells and whistles for limp mode. Disconnected battery problem corrected for a couple weeks. Happened again a few days go disconnected battery again but this time no go. On the next drive limp mode. I scanned codes 2 were present. p2135 & p1111. Cleaned maf sensor. Then cleaned throttle body without taking it apart used some seafoam deep creep and a rag. Drove for 16 miles check engine light disappeared I figured it must of went into a closed loop and everything is working correctly. Boy was I wrong I was driving the next day and bam limp mode yet again. Now I'm stumped I need some insight from the experts. Thank you.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Limp mode in these cars is often caused by moisture getting into the throttle body. Numerous threads here will point you in the right direction. Essentially, you must locate the source and ingress area of the moisture and take steps to seal it off and keep as much moisture as possible out of your engine bay....

Search the S-Type section using the terms "limp mode throttle body moisture engine compartment". That should bring up quite a bit of reading for you to do....

Old 02-19-2012, 11:19 AM

thanks for the quick response. When I had cleaned the TB I put duct tape on all the connections of the TB. I also checked the connections there was no sign of corrosion or dirt. I did the recommended search you suggested. And came across the J004 OBDII Deficiency Recall? Could this be a culprit? Also I tried searching for steps to test the tps but I could not come across anything.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,522 Likes on 3,933 Posts

It's more often the connector getting a bit corroded or loose. Clean and apply lithium I think - there'll be threads. Search on the code should work.

Be really careful of your TB as it's a high precision VERY expensive item with 2 sensors which are xref'd by the PCM so if you're not getting codes for either of them then leave well alone.

J004 should have been done and is basically an emissions recall. No harm checking/doing it though.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM

When I checked connections no corrosion was present and connections were snug. I'll be stopping by the dealer tomorrow for a fender bender repair and will have them go ahead and diagnose. I'll keep everyone posted. But please still reply with suggestions. I have searched many forums and Google but did not find the same scenario were P2135 & P1111 are present at the same time.

2005 Jaguar S-Type

3.0L V6 95,000 Mileage

Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Read on this forum e.g. the codes PDF what P1111 means. Everyone should have it so only a few mention it. Then move on to the other code

Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

crazyac5, I'm curios as to what the Jag dealer digs up. Have you found the build date for the battery>

Old 02-19-2012, 09:53 PM

bfsgross, I'll check the battery in the morning and keep you posted.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got first hand experience with this one. During the 1st month that I had my car I started experiencing the same codes P2135 & P1111. With much hard ache, I experienced 7 limp home shut downs in an hour and a half one rainy night in Georgia. That was enough as I got fed-up with jaguar integrating a mode of this nature in such a nice car. I had the codes pulled and they centered around throttle position sensor A+B voltage. After much research my 2005 version with the 4.2L non supercharge engine would have called for a new throttle body at $860.00 just for parts. To break it down, it's basically cleaning the electrical parts that are designed with the throttle body...I'm no jag mechanic but I became a great consultant with the knowledge I have learned from the professionals on this forum. I took my throttle body apart just like the procedures indicated by one of the forum members. I bought all of the different electrical sprays and tools that were recommended an cleaned the hell out of that sensor and electrical connectors, contacts, etc. Allowed them to dry for a couple of hours and put her back together while carefully wrapping anything I could see that would be exposed to moisture with thick gray electrical tape. Cranked her up and my history of limp modes/restricted performance has been in fact history. I 've logged 7,700 miles without any cutoffs...it's definitely moisture my friend!

Last edited by Sumrfun; 02-20-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Misspelling
The following 2 users liked this post by Sumrfun:
bfsgross (02-21-2012), Mikey (07-22-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Exclamation P2135 Limp Mode caused by carwash

My 37,000 mile 2005 S-Type R throws the P2135 code and goes into limp mode every time I take it through a car wash. It does not do it as a result of thunderstorms, not does it do it when driving through a thunderstorm, but only when I wash it in an automatic carwash. I am assuming that the water is coming into the engine bay through the bottom of the windscreen, but I don't know where to start in figuring out how to stop it. Please help!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

dl, look at this link, be sure to look at picture #6, it could help:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ode-fix-61201/

Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by dlwarch
My 37,000 mile 2005 S-Type R throws the P2135 code and goes into limp mode every time I take it through a car wash. It does not do it as a result of thunderstorms, not does it do it when driving through a thunderstorm, but only when I wash it in an automatic carwash. I am assuming that the water is coming into the engine bay through the bottom of the windscreen, but I don't know where to start in figuring out how to stop it. Please help!
Update:

I have just had the unfortunate luck to discover it will happen in a thunderstorm, at least if said storm is blowing 60 mph gusts from the passenger-rear direction. Is it possible to bypass the limp mode in any scenario?

Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

No. You need to fix the car.

Chances are it's water getting past a seal. Usually the cowl.

If you try to bypass the fault you're likely to go into no-start and be stranded.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's definitely moisture my. Gotta take the electrical coonectors of TB, carefully, an spray down with electrical cleaner and seal the back of connector (grooves) with rubber sealant to eliminate any moisture. Change your TB gasket while your there also then put everything back, taking your time to black tape every electrical connection...it works!

The following users liked this post:
dlwarch (07-28-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sumrfun
I've got first hand experience with this one. During the 1st month that I had my car I started experiencing the same codes P2135 & P1111. With much hard ache, I experienced 7 limp home shut downs in an hour and a half one rainy night in Georgia. That was enough as I got fed-up with jaguar integrating a mode of this nature in such a nice car. I had the codes pulled and they centered around throttle position sensor A+B voltage. After much research my 2005 version with the 4.2L non supercharge engine would have called for a new throttle body at $860.00 just for parts. To break it down, it's basically cleaning the electrical parts that are designed with the throttle body...I'm no jag mechanic but I became a great consultant with the knowledge I have learned from the professionals on this forum. I took my throttle body apart just like the procedures indicated by one of the forum members. I bought all of the different electrical sprays and tools that were recommended an cleaned the hell out of that sensor and electrical connectors, contacts, etc. Allowed them to dry for a couple of hours and put her back together while carefully wrapping anything I could see that would be exposed to moisture with thick gray electrical tape. Cranked her up and my history of limp modes/restricted performance has been in fact history. I 've logged 7,700 miles without any cutoffs...it's definitely moisture my friend!
Thank you so much for this message. I've only had my S-type for a couple of months and I'm learning the hard way about the moisture problem. It's absurd really - cars don't live in air-tight, water-proof bubbles - I really think Jaguar missed the mark on this one.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:43 AM
Default Solved! (I pray...)

Originally Posted by Sumrfun
It's definitely moisture my. Gotta take the electrical coonectors of TB, carefully, an spray down with electrical cleaner and seal the back of connector (grooves) with rubber sealant to eliminate any moisture. Change your TB gasket while your there also then put everything back, taking your time to black tape every electrical connection...it works!
Thanks to everyone who offered help on this one!

My mechanic friend recommended (and did) just this. He found one wire that was frayed, which he repaired, checked everything else, packed the connectors with dielectric grease and buttoned it all back up. I picked it up today and headed straight to the carwash. It seems to have worked, as I had no problems afterward. I'll update after our next big thunderstorm or the next carwash as a follow up to the effectiveness of this repair strategy.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Good fix. Dielectric grease is good stuff. May need redoing in a few years.