S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 s type 3.0 fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018 | 10:10 AM
|
Default 2005 s type 3.0 fuel injectors

Hi folks...I'm getting ready to install new fuel injectors on my wife's 05 s type 3.0. I will do the 3 coils under the manifold also. I already did the 3 that don't require manifold removal. Last year I had removed the manifold to do the imt rings but I only peeked at the injectors at the time. Is there a link to a step by step instruction process for changing out the injectors? any tips or advice? The car has almost 200,000 miles on it, but it is still in excellent cosmetic shape and paid for, so keeping it running as a do it yourselfer is the mission. I've been fighting lean codes for at least a couple years and having done everything else I can think of, time to just put new injectors in and see what happens. Thanks for help.

The following users liked this post:
BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-09-2018 | 02:57 PM

Follow this link to obtain the Engine Repair Course for the X200:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...Code%20168.pdf

Many of the parts are VIN-specific, so be certain you order the correct lower manifold gaskets for your engine.

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-09-2018 | 04:26 PM
|

Originally Posted by NBCat
Follow this link to obtain the Engine Repair Course for the X200:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...Code%20168.pdf

Many of the parts are VIN-specific, so be certain you order the correct lower manifold gaskets for your engine.
thank you for the link to the book. But I scrolled thru every page and didnt see a procedure for removal and install of fuel injectors. Hoping to get some guidance on that .

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-09-2018 | 04:36 PM

Use the search function. Here is a 'sticky' from this forum on 'how to' several items:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-guides-41364/

Here is another website that explains removal of the manifold, although on an earlier X200:

jaghelp.com: Intake manifold in a 2002 S-type 3.0L

You can also obtain the Workshop Manual from a number of Internet vendors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-S-TY...5ZBukq&vxp=mtr

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-09-2018 | 04:38 PM

I neglected to ask the reason for replacing the fuel injectors. Were they not functioning correctly?

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-09-2018 | 07:28 PM
|

Originally Posted by NBCat
I neglected to ask the reason for replacing the fuel injectors. Were they not functioning correctly?
Thanks. I have removed the manifold before but I don't know how to relieve pressure, remove injectors etc. . The car continues to throw lean codes both banks. the ltft is too high, pretty much at +19.5 all the time unless accelerating. then stft goes up and ltft goes down. I know this is symptom of vacuum leak but I had the car smoke tested and no leaks could be found. I have changed fuel filter, mafs, imt rings, gas cap, about anything else related. I have added BK 44 injector cleaner several times and when I do, the lean codes on one bank disappear for a while, leading me to believe the injectors are fouled. Recently the car has started showing misfire codes too. I have never done anything to the fuel injectors which now have 200,000 miles on them, so I decided to do it.

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-09-2018 | 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Have you changed your fuel filter ?
Have you checked the fuel pressure is in speck ?
Have you checked the maf sensor is running in speck ?
And also is the pcv valve working correctly ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Datsports:
BlueRanger (08-30-2024), NBCat (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018 | 09:44 AM
|

Originally Posted by Datsports
Have you changed your fuel filter ?
Have you checked the fuel pressure is in speck ?
Have you checked the maf sensor is running in speck ?
And also is the pcv valve working correctly ?
I did change the fuel filter, I believe the fuel pressure is in spec as well as the mafs based on readings from torque obd, but if you don't mind, please reply with specs on those items. Recently the car idles rough on cold start and I am getting numerous cylinder misfire codes. It smooths out as it warms. essentially, this vehicle is long overdue for a professional diagnostic and tune up, but retired on fixed income with a paid for car, I need to do whatever I can just to keep it going. It's driveable on surface streets and freeways, but if I clear the pending lean codes ( they rarely turn to red hard codes), the car will only get a few miles before they pop up again. Couple weeks ago, I did a hard reset by disconnecting and grounding the positive lead. It took the fuel trims back to near 0 and I thought maybe I had cured it, but within a few days the ltft's climbed back up to 19 on each bank. with that condition, any acceleration resulting in stft increase plus the high ltft, bumps the combined trims to throw the lean codes. I'm not a mechanic, but teaching myself along the way on this car....ps...under best of conditions, all diagnostics clear except evap and o2. they never reset.

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-10-2018 | 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

It's quite possable you have a split or faulty Evap canister.
The o2 sensors can also be checked for correct operation via obd as well ,
But in your case most likely a side affect of your lean condition .

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-10-2018 | 06:58 PM
|

Originally Posted by Datsports
It's quite possable you have a split or faulty Evap canister.
The o2 sensors can also be checked for correct operation via obd as well ,
But in your case most likely a side affect of your lean condition .
Would you suggest that I replace the evap canister before tearing into injector replacement? Can a faulty evap canister cause lean codes 0171 and 0172. I believe I have learned that in the order of completion of diagnostics, the O2 is the last to complete and only after the evap completes. If the evap never completes, the O2 can not?
In California, the vehicle can pass smog with no check engine light, but with "pending" faults as long as all systems have completed EXCEPT evap. The dilemma is that due to Jaguar programing, if evap does not complete, then you can never get O2 to complete, thus rendering the vehicle unable to smog.
If you think evap canister would do it, I'd be inclined to try that first.

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-10-2018 | 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Jakesdad have you seen the following link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-15/2005-3-0-v6-color-coded-vacuum-lines-w-pics-52720

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-10-2018 | 08:47 PM
|

Originally Posted by jakesdad
Would you suggest that I replace the evap canister before tearing into injector replacement? Can a faulty evap canister cause lean codes 0171 and 0172. I believe I have learned that in the order of completion of diagnostics, the O2 is the last to complete and only after the evap completes. If the evap never completes, the O2 can not?
In California, the vehicle can pass smog with no check engine light, but with "pending" faults as long as all systems have completed EXCEPT evap. The dilemma is that due to Jaguar programing, if evap does not complete, then you can never get O2 to complete, thus rendering the vehicle unable to smog.
If you think evap canister would do it, I'd be inclined to try that first.
ok....all new information. I just checked the car again and since resetting the codes this morning and car driven about 70 miles mostly freeway, the O2 has completed but now evap, comp and catalytic not completed. I also read a thread relating to others with evap or small leak codes and noticed one about the black canister under the hood on driver side being cracked. I do not see a crack on mine but the underside of it is sticky with a black substance. No other items in that area have the same sticky black stuff on them. wondering if that could be indicator of a faulty canister or whatever that is. I also noticed comments about leaky fuel tanks in these cars. Mine was recalled long time ago and I took it back to dealer where they supposedly replaced the entire tank. However, I do have to say that if I top off this tank, there is an odor of gasoline in the rear of the car. For that reason, I have been in habit of keeping fuel level 3/4 or less for years.

I realize I may be indicating numerous possible causes for my 0171 and 0172 that keep popping up. This is why I could never take this car to a repair shop. It would cost me too much money to hunt and peck for all the possible remedies. Last year, I had the same issue with regard to being able to pass smog. At that time is when I did the imt rings and mafs and air filter and fuel filter and gas cap and....... I put the car thru the prescribed drive cycle and got it to no cel with only evap incomplete and it passed california smog.

I'm wondering if perhaps I have been too quick to reset the lean codes, which by doing I create another drive cycle issue. I am wondering if I hold off on clearing the codes until all the diagnostics have completed, maybe the leans and cel would turn off by themselves?

I miss distributors and points and tune up kits at the auto parts store.

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-10-2018 | 10:35 PM

Hi. I need to remove my intake manifold. All bolts removed and leads but it seems to stick at the back near the firewall. Any ideas on what I havnt done.

Kindest regards

Old 01-11-2018 | 03:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jakesdad
ok....all new information. I just checked the car again and since resetting the codes this morning and car driven about 70 miles mostly freeway, the O2 has completed but now evap, comp and catalytic not completed. I also read a thread relating to others with evap or small leak codes and noticed one about the black canister under the hood on driver side being cracked. I do not see a crack on mine but the underside of it is sticky with a black substance. No other items in that area have the same sticky black stuff on them. wondering if that could be indicator of a faulty canister or whatever that is. I also noticed comments about leaky fuel tanks in these cars. Mine was recalled long time ago and I took it back to dealer where they supposedly replaced the entire tank. However, I do have to say that if I top off this tank, there is an odor of gasoline in the rear of the car. For that reason, I have been in habit of keeping fuel level 3/4 or less for years.

I realize I may be indicating numerous possible causes for my 0171 and 0172 that keep popping up. This is why I could never take this car to a repair shop. It would cost me too much money to hunt and peck for all the possible remedies. Last year, I had the same issue with regard to being able to pass smog. At that time is when I did the imt rings and mafs and air filter and fuel filter and gas cap and....... I put the car thru the prescribed drive cycle and got it to no cel with only evap incomplete and it passed california smog.

I'm wondering if perhaps I have been too quick to reset the lean codes, which by doing I create another drive cycle issue. I am wondering if I hold off on clearing the codes until all the diagnostics have completed, maybe the leans and cel would turn off by themselves?

I miss distributors and points and tune up kits at the auto parts store.
You can't have any fuel leaks - just as you can't have any air (vacuum) leaks.

And yes you probably have been resetting things too soon.

Be sure to read this (it's in the stickies / on the site several places) http://future.obdclearinghouse.com/d...TSB_021210.pdf

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-11-2018 | 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Alastair Martin
Hi. I need to remove my intake manifold. All bolts removed and leads but it seems to stick at the back near the firewall. Any ideas on what I havnt done.

Kindest regards
Welcome to the forum Alastair, please post an intro in the new members section when you can.
It would be better to start your own thread, and tell us what model you have.
There is a bracket at the rear protecting the fuel pressure regulator and one at the rear right (left looking from the front of the car) below the manifold have you removed those?

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
BlueRanger (08-30-2024), NBCat (01-11-2018)
Old 01-12-2018 | 12:44 AM

Hi Alistair
You need to put in your car details and it is better to post this problem separately from the topic you are in. More people will see your problem and offer help (especially with your specific car details).

If it is a V6 then it could be the deflector shield that is at the rear. You will see this much easier if you have taken the wipers and plastic cover below them and the metal frame it sits on off first.

From memory when removing this. There are 3 bolts and a wiring plug going through the bracket (circular part of bracket).

If you do a search for removing the intake manifold there will be much better and detailed information available.

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-19-2018 | 11:06 AM
|

For anyone still watching this thread, I have a new question. I am the op. So codes I've been fighting on this car for years have been lean codes PENDING 0171 and 0174. Consensus is that these are most often vac leak indicators, but numerous other causes can throw the codes. This car continues to be driveable but the codes are now so persistent that clearing them does no good for more than a few miles. I have new injectors and coils at the ready to install, im just dragging my feet at the teardown.
But the new question I have is........why does cel come on if fault codes are only PENDING? and there are no other codes, pending or otherwise?
The cel comes on and restricted performance comes on, but the car drives fine as long as you keep rpms under 3000. at 3000 rpms in restricted performance, the car shudders and balks. Under 3000, its a commuter even at freeway speeds. Why?

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-19-2018 | 09:59 PM

The engine is misfiring due to faulty or oil fouled coils, vacuum leak(s), exhaust leak(s).

There may even be an issue with an earth (ground) connection. Did you check the one on the bulkhead under the windscreen lower finisher?

Some of these faults on other X200s have even been traced to a failing or weak battery that causes random DTCs and other issues.

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)
Old 01-20-2018 | 02:11 AM
Veteran Member

Shudder = misfires (usually).

Can be bad coils or bad battery.

If suspecting an air leak check the fuel trims!! (Must be hundreds of threads saying this - read some.)

BlueRanger (08-30-2024)