S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-Type 4.2: Water Pump needs replacing, what else should I get done

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S-Type 4.2: Water Pump needs replacing, what else should I get done

Hey Folks,

Still loving the S-Type 18 months after purchase, but now I have a water pump leak. Along with ordering a new pump, I got a new lower radiator hose and thermostat...just figuring that I might as well get them all done while the water pump is being replaced.

Question is, is there anything else I should go ahead and get done at the same time, to save future trips to the shop? (Note, the car now has 115k on it, I can't figure out how to change the Sig...) I was thinking that maybe I should get all the belts and tensioners changed as well, but I honestly don't know if it's worth the additional cost. Any advice would be appreciated, as always!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I think if you have the NA 4.2L you can get an Aluminum thermostat housing to replace the crappy factory plastic. Not many water pumps reported leaking but a lot from the plastic cooling parts in that area. So be prepared for something to break when you take it apart.

Your top tank or degas bottle is usually replaced before 100K miles? Is yours still original? It's on top so you can change it anytime really.

Yes change the serpentine belts. You have the latest and best timing tensioner set up. No need to worry.

The main thing is have the plugs and possibly the coils and cam cover gasket been changed? Only the plugs are called for but the others should be considered wear items too.

Of course the famous DCCV should also have been replaced by this time and possibly the AUX coolant pump along with the attaching hoses.

You did not ask but have you serviced the transmission?

The following users liked this post:
jmcGoBlue (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Welcome Jason. clubairth basically covered most of the common preventative and premature wear items. You're thinking on the correct path by performing basic swap in whilst in there anyway kind of logic.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I think if you have the NA 4.2L you can get an Aluminum thermostat housing to replace the crappy factory plastic. Not many water pumps reported leaking but a lot from the plastic cooling parts in that area. So be prepared for something to break when you take it apart.

Your top tank or degas bottle is usually replaced before 100K miles? Is yours still original? It's on top so you can change it anytime really.

Yes change the serpentine belts. You have the latest and best timing tensioner set up. No need to worry.

The main thing is have the plugs and possibly the coils and cam cover gasket been changed? Only the plugs are called for but the others should be considered wear items too.

Of course the famous DCCV should also have been replaced by this time and possibly the AUX coolant pump along with the attaching hoses.

You did not ask but have you serviced the transmission?
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I did have the plugs replaced when I bought the car (at about 100k)...didn't change the coils at the time because they weren't giving any problems (and for some reason I remember them being a lot more expensive 18 months ago). I thought about getting those done now since I can get a complete set for under $100, but since they aren't giving any problems I'll probably just wait a while so I have reason to do the plugs again at the same time. DCCV has been my only significant issue with the car, and had it replaced soon after taking ownership. Regarding the transmission, I did develop the "squawk" starting a couple months ago, so I'll be getting that serviced as well.

Regarding the serpentine belts, are you saying that I should just leave the current tensioners in place and only change the belts?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Yes. Forget the tensioners for the timing chains. It's no longer a problem for your year car.

Have you flushed the brake fluid and changed the coolant? Don't forget the cabin filter and gas filter both are hidden and out of sight.

Glad to hear the DCCV has been changed as if left bad it can take out the climate control unit. We do have a repair for that but avoiding it is the best.