S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-Type - Key & remote don't unlock doors, unlocking trunk fixes tempo (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2005 S-Type - Key & remote don't unlock doors, unlocking trunk fixes tempo (solved)

In the last week, the remote for my wife's 2005 S-Type stopped unlocking the doors. She has two remotes, both worked fine one week ago and neither works now. When it is in this state, if you put the physical key in the driver's door, it won't go in all the way. There is no keyhole on the passenger side.

When it is in this state, I can open the trunk using the physical key. This causes the alarm to go off which I can then shut off with the remote. Once I do this, the remote works fine until I try to get into the car again some time later. The battery appears strong and we have no problems driving the car once we unlock the trunk.

I think that I can also put the physical key in the driver door after I use the key to unlock the trunk, but I can't swear to that. I will test this again this evening.

I searched the forum and found some articles but nothing that seemed specific to my issue, although I might have missed something. Any help is appreciated.

Biff

Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 PM

I was mistaken in my original post. The physical key does not work in the driver door both before and after I use it to unlock the trunk. The shop is ordering a new lock barrel which will take 2 - 3 weeks to arrive. Hopefully that will resolve the issue but it is far from certain.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff Baxter
In the last week, the remote for my wife's 2005 S-Type stopped unlocking the doors. She has two remotes, both worked fine one week ago and neither works now. When it is in this state, if you put the physical key in the driver's door, it won't go in all the way. There is no keyhole on the passenger side.

When it is in this state, I can open the trunk using the physical key. This causes the alarm to go off which I can then shut off with the remote. Once I do this, the remote works fine until I try to get into the car again some time later. The battery appears strong and we have no problems driving the car once we unlock the trunk.

I think that I can also put the physical key in the driver door after I use the key to unlock the trunk, but I can't swear to that. I will test this again this evening.

I searched the forum and found some articles but nothing that seemed specific to my issue, although I might have missed something. Any help is appreciated.

Biff
Sound like you have a failed driver door module. There was a run of them that had a similar issue back in 2003-2004. I don't see why it would be impossible to happen to a 2005, especially since the symptoms fit.

I wouldn't trust the part number in the bulletin, I'd see that it was looked up by your VIN#.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S501-18.pdf (47.1 KB, 461 views)
Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks Steve,

The information you sent looks really useful. I have forwarded it to my mechanic and will update this post with the results.

Thanks again,

Biff

Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with that module. I have a '05 S Select Edition and waited for 6 months for a new actuator. The Select Edition ran out before they even got the part. I couldnt use my remote at all. Luckily it is my summer ride. Either way good luck getting that. Since TATA Motors took over the new vendors they rely on are sloooooowww.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM

The driver door lock barrel was not accepting the key so we had it replaced. It took about 4 weeks for the part to arrive from England. When it got here, not only did it not solve the problem, Jaguar did not properly match the key. Jaguar offered to send a second barrel with the correct key for free (one that matched the original trunk lock barrel) and the mechanic replaced the second one for free. Getting the second part took another 4 weeks and did not fix the original problem of the remote not working.

The driver door lock barrel now works but the remote still does not.

Per the recall notice, we will be having the driver door module fixed next, even though the recall appears to be for an earlier model. Fingers crossed.

I will update this thread again after the driver door module recall is completed.

Last edited by Biff Baxter; 07-28-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

It may be that the franchise you're using don't really know how to diagnose and fix such a thing but at least they're trying!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Here is the updated version of that TSB.

Attached Files
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Ironically, I went through 10 key fobs trying to solve this problem when I had my 03 S. The dealer even felt bad enough for me to not charge me labor to reprogram keys at one point. I finally gave up and installed an aftermarket alarm to the wires at the driver door module, and never had a problem since....

I wish they had seen or known about this then.

Take care,

George.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Dealers of all makes are patchy on whether they check known issues such as those in TSBs

Old 07-29-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Dealers of all makes are patchy on whether they check known issues such as those in TSBs
Amen! Makes us all look bad!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

hmm........ maybe....... except hardly anyone ever posts that "My dealer fixed a problem using a TSB."

What we see on forums are where that DIDN'T happen, just like most of what we see are PROBLEMS. Doesn't necessarily mean everyone has them

Old 08-12-2011, 01:44 PM

A little over four months later and the problem is finally fixed. Replacing the driver door module did the trick. It may help some to note that the VIN on my wife's car did not fall within the documented range.

Two of the four months were tied up waiting for the first and then the second driver door barrel lock, a real problem but unrelated to the remote failure.

The process to get this done was fairly ugly. The forum members really helped. Thanks to all involved,

Biff

Old 08-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Thanks for reporting back Biff.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Biff Baxter
A little over four months later and the problem is finally fixed. Replacing the driver door module did the trick. It may help some to note that the VIN on my wife's car did not fall within the documented range.

Two of the four months were tied up waiting for the first and then the second driver door barrel lock, a real problem but unrelated to the remote failure.

The process to get this done was fairly ugly. The forum members really helped. Thanks to all involved,

Biff
Superb! I knew when I posted that bulletin that you were not in the VIN Range, but like I said, the symptoms sure fit. Glad you are working keyless again! And thanks for reporting back, feedback is always good.

Cheers,

Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 S type, key won't unlock door & no key fob

Just bought it and drove home. Next morning, it's locked and the key won't unlock it_it turns right and locks , but it but won't turn left and unlock..no sound either
and it's a weekend. Any ways to get it unlocked, I tried the trunk but it won't do anything.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

Look for a graphite-based lock lubricant. (Avoid WD40.)

(The cars came with 2 keys which each worked in the boot (trunk) and door, plus started the car.)

Old 11-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 635 Likes on 498 Posts

When you tried the trunk, was this by just pressing the release button, or did you insert the key into the lock located beneath the Jaguar plinth on the trunk lid?

On earlier cars the lock is located on the right side under the "U" in Jaguar...

Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the key in both the door and trunk, neither would open it.

Quick Reply: 2005 S-Type - Key & remote don't unlock doors, unlocking trunk fixes tempo (solved)