S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-type (Park brake fault,Gearbox fault, restricted performance)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2005 S-type (Park brake fault,Gearbox fault, restricted performance)

Hi All

Could someone point me to the thread that deals with the issues in the subject line?

Long story, short. On my way home received the following messages in this order:
  1. Park brake fault
  2. Gear box fault
  3. Restricted Performance
  4. Cruise not available
I recently replaced the front and rear rotors and pads. I hear scraping when I apply the brakes, sometimes. I took the car back to the mechanic who replaced those items and was told that all was fine with brakes and rotors.

I also replaced the Emergency Park brake switch.

I am heading to the dealer but would like to be able to have an understanding before I go.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

Start with any (or a few) of the threads that Search pulls up if you look on
battery
or
failing battery

Move on to the HowTo on recalibrating the EPB

The following users liked this post:
Elle924 (05-15-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Default I love my Jag. Would Like to Keep It but.....

I took my Jag to the dealer due to the issues I am having "park brake fault, gear box fault, restricted performance, cruise control not available". Anyway the dealer wasn't able to tell me the source of the problems. It's not the battery (battery is new).

I am attaching the DTC codes that were pulled at dealer. Could it be that the ECM is going bad?

Thanks in advance for your continued support.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Jaguar Codes as of 60613.docx (13.9 KB, 939 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Don't worry about the ECM. Very rare to go out.

I am worried that your readout has a low battery entry. Your battery may be new but it's not performing up to snuff. At least when your dealer ran his tests.

This was a Jaguar dealer and they can't fix the problem? If that's true we will have little luck guessing from a distance on an internet forum??

How much did you pay for this advice? I think I would press the dealer a bit more. Seems like he just left you hanging?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Here's what's in the attachment. The bolding is mine. The dealer can't figure it out? Sounds like they are as incompetent as the one I used to deal with.

DTC
Description
Relevance
U2522
CAN message timeout from the transmission control module 33%

B1242
Recirculating air flow door actuator – circuit failure

B1262
Defrost servo motor – circuit failure

B1265
Cool air servo motor circuit failure

B1676
Battery voltage out of range

P1000
System check not completed since last memory clear

P1643
CAN link engine control module/transmission module circuit/network malfunction 33%

B1503
Lamp turn signal right – circuit failure

B1676

B2888
Audio system media fault

U2522
CAN message timeout from the transmission control module

U1900
CAN communications bus fault

U2526
Data missing for air suspension

C1094-00
Parking Brake apply switch – circuit failure
100%

C1782-00
Parking Brake release switch – circuit failure
100%

C1D00-64
Parking Brake apply switch
66%

C1D07-15
Secondary parking brake apply circuit
100%

C1D08-15
Secondary parking brake release switch circuit
100%

C1D11-64
Parking brake release switch
100%

U0001-00
High speed CAN communication bus
33%

U0101-00
Lost communication with transmission control module

B1676
66%

Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I think what Mikey and I are saying is your battery is still a major suspect.

It has to be operating a full voltage before I would even attempt to fix anything else.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Yup, battery is bad. New or not, it's bad.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Elle924
I took my Jag to the dealer due to the issues I am having "park brake fault, gear box fault, restricted performance, cruise control not available". Anyway the dealer wasn't able to tell me the source of the problems. It's not the battery (battery is new).

I am attaching the DTC codes that were pulled at dealer. Could it be that the ECM is going bad?

Thanks in advance for your continued support.

Before spending any money I would put the battery on charge, for overnight at a minimum, 24hrs would be best. Then see if problems remain.

Dave

Old 06-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Test the battery because it will still start car ok on less than 14 volts. If it re charges within a few minutes, according to the charger, it is also suspect. Then check connections and cables. Paul

Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Default I love my Jag. Would Like to Keep It but.....may just keep

Yeah, it was Hennessy Jaguar in Atlanta. I felt the same way, it is their car and they can't tell me what the problem is.

I wasn't charged because last month they replaced my Emergency Park brake switch and at that time I was getting the "park brake default" message and a loud buzzing sound. So due to having the same issue and then some I wasn't charged a fee.

Thanks everyone. I like my car but it was disheartening news to hear from the dealership that they couldn't pin point the problem unless they start breaking down the car.

I will look into replacing the battery.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Do you know if they cleared those faults? They will be kept otherwise - forever. They will NOT clear with disconnected battery so can confuse years later. The dealer tool can clear them.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Elle924

Some quick info on s-types...

First things first...I'm in Atlanta also, in the Decatur area and I drive the same year model (2005) that you have except I've got the 4.2L version.

Please invest in a code reader so you can do your own code inspections. This way you can save money and stay on top off mantinence issues that pop up out the blue...check your codes at least 2 times a month. Your jaguar is packed with a lot of sensors and other electronic switches an as it get more miles on it they will start to show wear, so if you don't want to go broke then please keep a check on things.

Remember...Dealers make about 35% to 40% of revenue from the service dept.
My experience with Hennessey and other jaguar dealers is that if you don't know what's really going on with your car then they will milk you of a lot of cash that could be kept...Jag is all about profit and they don't really care whether your car runs good or not!
Find you a good independent mechanic that you can trust to work on your car.

I have and from time to time experience the same symptoms as your car. Like the professionals on here mention, go ahead an get you another fresh battery to start. Then you want to give your throttle body and all of the electric connectors a good cleaning. You may look up my profile name SUMRFUN, as I have comments made on the procedure for this cleaning. Everything your experiencing I have been through. I found answers on this forum and saved probably about $3000 in labor cost so far by doing stuff on my own...don't forget to look up my threads. Have a good day.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Most of those codes will not be read by any but a dealer-type tool and also can't be cleared without that kind of tool.

Still worth getting such as an elm327 as excellent for about $15.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Default Park brake + Restricted Performance = New Battery

I am not sure if H.Jaguar cleared the codes. Just came back from the independent Jaguar mechanic who I purchased the battery from back in February 2013 and he said that he cleared the codes. He also stated that the battery is good. Weird thing was though he threw out that it could be the TCM but that he couldn't be "sure". Oh and that it would cost a little over $2K to replace it.

Thanks all, I will purchase a new battery today. I read on some of the posts here that Pep Boy's Bosch batteries are pretty good.

I will also pick up a codes reader.

Thanks again and have a blessed day.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Elle924
I am not sure if H.Jaguar cleared the codes. Just came back from the independent Jaguar mechanic who I purchased the battery from back in February 2013 and he said that he cleared the codes. He also stated that the battery is good. Weird thing was though he threw out that it could be the TCM but that he couldn't be "sure". Oh and that it would cost a little over $2K to replace it.

Thanks all, I will purchase a new battery today. I read on some of the posts here that Pep Boy's Bosch batteries are pretty good.

What sort of diagnosis is that???? "You might have cancer and you might die, but I can't be sure" Find another doctor/car mechanic.

Re battery, I can strongly recommend Varta Silver batteries if you can source them in your area or by the 'net. They were OE when the cars were first built.

I've just ordered an H3 100a/hr 830cca unit and eagerly awaiting delivery.

VARTA SILVER dynamique H3 CHRYSLER 100Ah batterie voiture code 600 402 08 | eBay

Dave

Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I read on some of the posts here that Pep Boy's Bosch batteries are pretty good.

That battery is a great one. I'm running with it now. About $110-$120 with installation. Try pep boys on Jimmie carter blvd (Gwinnett ).

I've got an Innovia 3130 code reader...about $175 at pep boys

Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Default 2005 SType w108KMiles - Problems Persists

Well, I actually bought my battery from Jaguar, yesterday and had it installed. My heart sank this morning when the same messages popped up in the Message center.
  • Gearbox ( goes away if I keep driving)
  • Cruise Not available ( goes away if I keep driving)
    • If I turn the car off when both of these messages are active it will not start.
  • Park brake Fault (this one is constant but goes away if I turn off car)
  • Restricted Performance(this one is constant and for the most part does not affect drivability)
    • If only these two messages are visible in the message center and I turn the car off and restart the car it will restart immediately
I did purchase a code reader ELM327 from Ebay, waiting on that.

I will clean the throttle body. I changed the air filter and cleaned the MAS.

If it turns out the transmission Control Module needs replacement I may have to say farewell to my Jag. It has been a great, great car. It still looks good to be a 2005 and even in it's disabled state it drives better than any of the cars on the road that are fully functioning. I have never had any issues with it since purchasing it in 2008.

I am little frustrated right now.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

After clearing the codes, I'd be curious to see which one(s) come back. If there's a repeat of Battery voltage out of range or similar, it's time to start looking at wiring or charging issues. All the other issues are common to low system voltage condition rather than an actual fault within the components.

Question: do you ever get water collecting in the trunk/boot ?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Good idea - water in the trunk causes weird problems.

It's unlikely to be the TCM. But power/ground problems can (sadly) be a pain to fix.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Default No water but maybe battery acid leak

No, no water in the trunk. But you may have solved the mystery. I did notice battery acid in the trunk after the new battery that I purchased on Tuesday was installed. I kept the battery that I bought in February and that one was leaking. I am not sure if the tech who installed the battery on Tuesday damaged the "old" battery or if it had been leaking for the past 5 months. I called the shop and didn't really get an answer so I will have the Jag battery removed by my "shade tree" mechanic. Maybe the acid ate through something. I don't know.

See attached: I took a picture of the battery that I purchased in February before it's removal and it does kind of look as if something wet had been pooling from it.

If that turns out to be the issue, you are the man, Mikey!!

Take a look and let me know what you see.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 S-type (Park brake fault,Gearbox fault, restricted performance)-20130611_170445.jpg   2005 S-type (Park brake fault,Gearbox fault, restricted performance)-20130611_170500.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2005 S-type (Park brake fault,Gearbox fault, restricted performance)