Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 s-type r scanner wont read

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 s-type r scanner wont read

I have a similar problem to the thread below this one but a little different

I got to work two sundays ago with no problem, went to go home and nothing, car and lights and everything powered up, but as usual, the dash read ABS Fault, DSC unavailable, Drivers door open, Gearbox Fault, ParkBrake Fault.... blah blah blah. get it towed to a local jaguar mechanic and not one of there scanners will connect or read anything, he does all kinds of tests and cant come up with anything. he then says he needs to tow it to Berkshire Motors in Toronto who have a jaguar scanner and specialize in jags, guess what they cant read anything either.
Now logic would tell me it is the ecm or a short between the port and the computer, but I am no expert. I tried a search but cant see anyone with with this specific problem or maybe someone has some advice or has experienced this problem, it has been going on two weeks and no answers yet
also does anyone know the cost of a new ecm if that is the problem

Thanks in advance,
Cheers, Dave

Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

I'd first try a new, fully charged battery, and check all fuses are ok before I start looking for wiring problems, then start with the wiring and pins in the OBD port.

Are they getting a voltage reading from the OBD, as no communication is needed for voltage reading?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

It's not likely the PCM or any one module but more likely is wiring.

Grab JTIS and look at the Electrical Guide. There are lots of modules hung off the DLC (OBD port). If none show up then start with checking DLC power & grounds then signals etc.

Don't be shocked if it turns out the fault is in the loom behind the front bumper (or up in wheel arches/wells).

Old 05-09-2014, 12:38 PM

very interesting you mentioned signals, I had the headlight bulb replaced a few weeks back and they did a terrible job as it points now at a 45 degree angle to the left, not sure if this could cause a problem as in my case, also to note in my last few fill ups I could not put anymore than 3/4 of a tank of gas in
they also ruled out the battery, not sure how they came to that conclusion though, but am trusting that Berkshire motors is a reputable jag place from what I have read

Old 05-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

These are very rare cars so they may be out of their depth...

Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 PM

well an interesting update, the only ecm he had available was one for a regular 4.2L stype, he put it in my str, and he was able to read it from the obd2 port, he was also able disengage the parking brake, not sure if this means a dead ecm, but from reading other post, it isn't as simple as getting a new ecm and voila drive away. this starting to sound like a nightmare unfolding

any thoughts

also, any ideas on the cost of replacing and reprogramming this if you have had it done??

Old 05-10-2014, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member

I think they're the same except for the software (pre-)loaded. But this is not certain and I suspect not many will be sure. He should at least try flashing the one he has, I guess.

The Electrical Guide is on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource and shows more pins in use for the STR but it's likely the actual device has the electronics.

Otherwise a used STR one will do but watch the VIN range as if you compare the pinouts across years you'll see changes.

First - try reflashing the one you have. If it won't, take lid off and look for damage. Water intrusion is about all we've seen and that rarely.

You can have your existing one repaired by firms such as bba-reman.

Damaged wiring/bad connector is what we see fairly often so be sure you've not got that and the change has just been lucky or wiggled something.

Last edited by JagV8; 05-10-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 AM

thanks for your input jagV8, I will also pass this along to the mech I am dealing with.... I will also definitely post the outcome of this problem in case it may help others............. whenever that may be :-)

The following users liked this post:
Norri (05-24-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Default oh boy

well the jag shop was convinced it was the ecm, they get a used one from California and install it and they get the same problem, nothing when you turn the key, this is going on a month in the shop and wondering if I should get it sent to a jag dealer in Toronto, but apparently the shop has been on the phone with jaguar tech support and they are baffled too.... I miss my ride and my wife's mazda protoge just doesn't cut it :-)

any advice would suffice..... getting frustrated

Old 05-23-2014, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member

Are they using IDS/SDD? What does it show? It'll cope with most things, including a bad PCM (not that it is at all likely to be).

If not, they need it I reckon. Cheap clones are available (and covered on this site)....

Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow99
well the jag shop was convinced it was the ecm, they get a used one from California and install it and they get the same problem, nothing when you turn the key, this is going on a month in the shop and wondering if I should get it sent to a jag dealer in Toronto, but apparently the shop has been on the phone with jaguar tech support and they are baffled too.... I miss my ride and my wife's mazda protoge just doesn't cut it :-)

any advice would suffice..... getting frustrated
After being in this shop for so long and no results I would take it to a dealer.

I am guessing that you are at an Indie shop now? I am wondering if they have the correct Jag scanning gear.
I think the Jag dealer in Pickering has closed years ago.
Where is the closest dealer? Is there one in Scarborough?

Don't pay the indie too much since they really have not fixed anything.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 264 Likes on 197 Posts

I have sent you a PM.I have a working diagnostic tool and will help if you wish.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

I would still suspect the battery as a possible culprit...

Birkshire Motors is pretty capable though, odd to see them unable to trouble shoot it.

Otherwise, certainly time to start going over the wiring harness in a few spots to see what might be up.

Land Rover Jaguar Thornhill isn't very far from Birkshire so maybe its time to send it to them...

Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 PM

I spoke with the owner of Berkshire today, they are going over the wiring but jaguar UK sent them a wiring diagram that doesn't match, he is hoping someone comes in with an STR so he can do some comparisons.
thanks for the offer six rotors but Berkshire has a jaguar scanner and Birkshire is pretty capable as GT42R says, but they have ruled out the battery
saw some sweet rides while I was there though :-)
I guess I will give them another week and go from there

may have to go on a hunt for an aspen green STR I know lurks in the GTA, hope its insured ;-)

Old 05-24-2014, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Old 05-24-2014, 07:06 AM
Received 264 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow99
I spoke with the owner of Berkshire today, they are going over the wiring but jaguar UK sent them a wiring diagram that doesn't match, he is hoping someone comes in with an STR so he can do some comparisons.
thanks for the offer six rotors but Berkshire has a jaguar scanner and Birkshire is pretty capable as GT42R says, but they have ruled out the battery
saw some sweet rides while I was there though :-)
I guess I will give them another week and go from there

may have to go on a hunt for an aspen green STR I know lurks in the GTA, hope its insured ;-)
No problem. I talked to Berkshire 2 years ago when I had an electrical problem. They quoted me $800 to troubleshoot my headlight. I was not impressed when I spoke with them.

That's when I decided to do the research to fix my own car. My diagnostic tool, software and dedicated laptop cost $280.I located the broken wire and repaired it for $10.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 PM

well I am still waiting for an STR to show up at Berkshire so they can do comparisons between the two to find my specific problem, I could be waiting for a long time, he convinced me to hold off for another two weeks, what would be some good advice on how to proceed, I cant keep towing from shop to shop and hope they may be better or what about this idea, I would be willing to pay someone to bring there oops their STR to Berkshire to do the tests but not sure what would be a fair price to offer.... maybe 200 bucks???? for a day.... or would most think your not touching my car for guinea pig testing???

any advice appreciated

Thanks, Dave

Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Dave, sorry to hear of the ongoing issues...

I would potentially offer my 03, but I think you certainly need to be comparing an 05 to an 05 to get anywhere... still, I doubt you would find anyone willing to be a tester/donor in this particular situation...

Has Berkshire offered to potentially buy it out? Maybe take it as a trade on another Jag in their lot?

What color interior/exterior is your R?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:41 AM

no offer to buy it from them, but it is a black interior and metallic british racing green HGZ I think is the paint code, and your probably right an 03 may not be the same but thanks for your response

Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

HGZ may be Jaguar racing green, not British racing green

The following users liked this post:
GT42R (06-11-2014)

Quick Reply: 2005 s-type r scanner wont read