S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-type R Track Times

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Excellent. We'll have an understanding of what a stock STR can do in the 1/4 with a good driver.

Last edited by bfsgross; 05-10-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 AM
jya
Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Mine is never in drive. Love the J gate.
It feels like it starts in a lower gear from standstill with the selector in 2nd and the sport button on. With button off it must start in a higher gear. To me it feels quicker changing manually.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, don't get me wrong but it seems like such a waste to just drag race this car. If you've never attended a drivers school at a road race track you don't know want you're missing. These cars have such a great chassis to go with that power. A good group to go with is NASA, National Auto Sport Association - nasaproracing.com which puts on events all over the country. For instance my home track, VIR in south central Virginia features a length of 3.2 miles with a straight of 4000 ft.,about 16 corners, and nearly 200 ft. of elevation change. Try it, I think you'll enjoy your Jag more.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Drag racing is a good measure of power to weight and a good way to see how changes your making to the car is affecting it's performance. The jag is no drag car no even close but it's even less of a road racer. I can already tell just from messing around on the roads around here its just so heavy. Keep in mind my car has full suspension and upgraded rotors, pads, fluid ect...

I will have my jag at road Atlanta in a few months and I do enjoy the road course. Just that making it run well and having confidence in the car is going to be a streach for me. It can run with vetts on the drag strip with just a few mods. Every Benz and BMW on the track is going to chase it down with equal drivers until the back straight. I normally run in the A group but I would not put this car in that group.

I am just a drag guy and always will be as you are a RC guy. I appreciate the road course and I always go suspension and brakes before HP but now getting the car into the 12s and then 11s is the goal.

It's just diffrent ways to enjoy the same car. To each his own.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Def agree... Road course racing is a BLAST!! I've had my vette out on Watkins Glenn on a few occasions. Its one hell of a rush. But im just more into drag racing.

I also drive around the streets in a quite "spirited" mannor to say the least. I dont foresee the STR doing all that well on a road course without a few major upgrades like coilovers, brakes, sway bars, some poly bushings, etc etc.

Its a hell of an all around daily, and i dont expect to squeeze much out of her as far as a stock 1/4 time... not im comparison to other cars that is.

But it should fair well...

Old 05-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you guys underrate the STR's ability through the twisties. The car grips and holds road well. A .82 G skidpad is very respectable on stock tires (Car and Driver), and I've personally taken the car through certain death defying turns at speeds I care not share while barely losing the rear end. If I had great summer tires I'd be even bolder.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

And in two weeks we will find out the rough top speed

Old 05-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

That a boy Mike! Just keep the pedal to the metal and yell Ahhhhh!, all the way to the end. LOL!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

On a well prep'd track I can get to WOT pretty quick. I usually go around the water box and then just line up. I haven't really attempted any type of burnout or anything like that on this car. When the track gets crowded and I get even a little bit of water on the tires I can feel it because the tires let loose at the top of first.

BTW, too bad we couldn't program this thing to shift at redline. One of the magazines complained that it never hit redline once in the quarter and thus never even made max power during the quarter mile.

I've taken my car to the track twice, but it hasn't ran up to expectations yet. Once I get my car back I'll try to tune the alky system a bit and then take it back. By the way, it was only 1/8 mile and it trapped at only 83.xx mph. A current gen c63 was trapping at 90.xx so I was pissed and dissapointed.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Hey guys, had to work late on wednesday of course and it was beaaaauuuutiful night for racing here... and saturday it rained like crazy all day!! supposed to rain right thru thursday of this week here. So looks like ill have to shoot for saturday of this week or wednesday of next...

Ill update once i can finally hit the track!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Looking forward to the results of you runs. Have fun.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 PM

planning on it bud! thanks!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Michael, your track doesn't require you guys to wear helmets?

ATCO in NJ you have to wear a helmet regardless of if you're riding a bicycle down the track...

Tech is sort of liberal there... You can always pull the well I don't know what it will do, but if it breaks 13.0 or 10.5 they will kick you off the track for a 2nd run if you don't have the required equipment.

Take care,

George

Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

No track should require a helment for any pass over 13.99 or a certian MPH I can't recall, as with all things some tracks don't care unless it's pretty quick. There are all kinds of requiremants dependant on the ET/trap you should have a cage for under 11.50. I had to fit a removeable chute to a few of my cars. That or get kicked out after pass two LOL.

BTW atco is awsome. Always loved that track and it's even better since they redid the ruts comming throught the wall, a track with a bar! Won my first race, there and clinched the points championship there the next year. Love that track!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

Eh, Im in Kentucky. Not sure if they know what helmets are here.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 AM

The tech at our track doesn't know what they're looking at unless it's a pre 90's domestic pretty much. They're starting to catch onto all the turbo Honda guys and guys that put money into their evo's etc...

They will kick u off the track after your second run however if u have no helmet and run faster than a 13.99

They are a little loose on the cage requirements until u dip into the 10's.

And they're VERY strict on guys with bikes.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

LOL! Mike! You mad man. R U saying Kentuckyins R backward ***?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21,863 Likes on 8,775 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
LOL! Mike! You mad man. R U saying Kentuckyins R backward ***?

Think of them as a large "cup" for holdin the 'shine...

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (05-17-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by qikcat
No track should require a helment for any pass over 13.99 or a certian MPH I can't recall, as with all things some tracks don't care unless it's pretty quick. There are all kinds of requiremants dependant on the ET/trap you should have a cage for under 11.50. I had to fit a removeable chute to a few of my cars. That or get kicked out after pass two LOL.

BTW atco is awsome. Always loved that track and it's even better since they redid the ruts comming throught the wall, a track with a bar! Won my first race, there and clinched the points championship there the next year. Love that track!!!
Funny you say that... We (who have it locally) think it's a dive, but Englishtown is so damn crowded with all the NY'ers that you just don't get enough runs in...

Test & Tune @ Atco = 20, on a good day 4. maybe 5 runs, more if you feel like staying all nite.

Test & Tune @ Englishtown = $35 (i think) and you're lucky if you get 3 runs in.

Atco is much more liberal with tech. Englishtown keeps a database, so if the car has EVER gone past one of their limits (ie the 11.99 cage rule) they will exclude it (you can't pull the I don't know what it will do deal).

It DOES have that "Winners Circle" Bar, but the concessions etc leave a lot to be desired. Although it's kind of cool that they allow coolers in

Take care,

George

Old 05-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Veteran member

Yes, it is pretty crazy the things I have seen here. One of the cars I raced against that day ran in the 11s and he didn't have a helmet or a cage. Guess it is a bit more liberal here.

Quick Reply: 2005 S-type R Track Times