S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-type R Track Times

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL at lining up behind tubbed out dragwagons thats a good idea i never thought of it, of course i was typically in one of those death traps when at the track...

Mine hooks terrible on the street i think i posted earlier in this thread but i have 265's front and 285's out back ContiProContacts. I can blow thru first and second with trac control off. then usually it just grabs out of nowhere in high second or low third.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep I am normally rolling on a set of 34.5X17X16 Goodyears when driving the mod cars and they lay down a patch. Not many people run that much tire on a test and tune but anybody putting down a patch helps a lot with your launch.
On streets I just drive around the water box and scuff the tires maybe roll them over once or twice.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM

Same here, when on street tire i avoid the water, give it a quick blat to get the debris off (people have no clue how much **** tires pick up from staging lanes to the tree). When on my slicks ive always heated those things to the point where you can peel the rubber off. On the drag radials i try to heat em up till they squeak when i let off, that way im not hazing them to badly where theyll actually spin rather than hook.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM

I have had pretty good luck getting Drag Radials nice and hot. Dead hooking 1300hp with an IRS suspension is a good test. My old red and white flame radial tire supra. Not the best pass but hey it was a final win at good old Atco.

YouTube - ‪Battle of the Supra's‬‏

Last edited by qikcat; 05-24-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by zee oh sex
Hey guys glad to see my thread thriving... been busy and had another day of shitty weather this past saturday, havent hit the track yet. Rain in the forecast allllll week this week AGAIN fml... Shooting for tomorrow night just in case the rain holds out!

Theres a local guy who hits our track that runs a black maruader still N/A with cams and a couple other bolt ons and a tune. With a tire i think he's gotten the car well into the 11's. He also has a blue marauder that he put a blower on and blew the car up. So he decided to junk the drivetrain (idiot) and chop the car up. Right now that chassis is done with a 25.2 cert cage all aluminum interior full tub with a narrowed ford 9" out back. Weld alumastars front + rear not sure on tire size, and hes throwing a blown BIG big block chevy in it and i believe he's going with a stout turbo400 trans with a brake... should be done mid season this year. I know him fairly well, him and i both go to the same shop in the area when we arent working on our own junk, and have been present at a few of the same track rental days, we run with the same general circle of car guys in the area.

Alot of work for one season huh? I still think its a shame to cut up that blue marauder though, it is a cool project however.

Also i dont think there is a clause on only being ticketed by a marked vehicle in NYS unless it is a dwi stop. Ive seen it quite often...I know a few of the local departments that have fully unmarked cars that make routine traffic stops. Also in NY cops hide evvvvvvverywhere..

Hopefully tomorrow night i can get to the track, Im expecting a low 13 second pass! Ill check back later.

cya guys
I stand corrected, it's not statewide, but Governor Pataki had issued an executive order, forbidding the NYSP from doing it:

Pataki Curbs Unmarked Cars' Use - NYTimes.com

I don't know if it's still valid or in place, and I guess the "local" boys play by their own set of rules.

One of the ONLY speeding tickets I have ever gotten was on I-81 in NY heading south right by binghamton. This was in 1999.

I come over the top of a hill and there she is in the median, and there are about 5 NYSP cars at the bottom of the hill. I slow down, and the one trooper is in the road waving me over to the side.

License registration yadda yadda. Started passing out the collection of PBA cards, "I didn't ask to see that I asked to see your license". Claimed they got me at 81 (because of course it was 65, so they HAD to make it a 4pt ticket). And wrote it accordingly, no mercy at all.

I think it cost me about 85 bucks by mail to the "Town of Barker Justice Court". Somehow, that seems like an oxymoron to me.

Good luck at the track tomorrow!

Take care,

George

Old 05-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Whoa qwikcat, ya got the 3 lb. on plus low temp thermo? So what do you think?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:56 PM

Don't know yet still haven't drove it. We got finished late last night and decided to hit the bar next to the shop so needless to say I didn't drive home . Been around the house today getting some computer work done before heading out of town so haven't drove it yet. I will take it out tonight for dinner and see. Wish I had the time to get the water inj done to but it wasn't happening last night!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Thats a hell of a pass qwikcat, i have a friend with a 1027whp supra. its one hell of a ride.

I agree IRS with any sort of real power on a sticky drag radial, a BITCH to launch. On motor my Z06 makes 522whp and on spray it was a little over 610whp. Launching it on/off spray is no different because i have a window activated switch and its impossible to launch it at wide open throttle anyways with wheel hop clutch slipping to achieve the best 60' etc etc...

Maybe ill try heating them up a bit more from now on! thanks for the advice and Andro thanks for the good luck wish! I wasnt looking to correct you i just was unsure of the actual law, sad to say if you knew my line of work as well! LOL i have no speeding tickets luckily, also pointing towards what i do, cuz if not id have a TON!

Goodluck i hope you see nice results on the pulley and tstat upgrade qwikcat!

Last edited by zee oh sex; 05-24-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:20 PM

That was a slow pass, track wasn't there that day and you hate to spin in the finals. She would run 8.20s on a good pass and a best of 8.02 at 178mph. We left at 5k rpm and 15-17psi of boost with a 75shot on the transbreak to keep the turbo spooled. Ramped to 35 psi by the 60' and 45psi at 100' With a best 60' of 1.38 not bad for radials and IRS. Its was a drag car though the toe was so far in you could never drive it fast so it would have full contact when it squatted, no swaybars, solid bushing mounts etc... Did have full interior and weighed 2900lbs!

My street car made 1050ish rwhp lots of fun but feeding them straight C-16 gets old and pricy! I miss my supras but it was a cool steeping stone into drag racing. God that was so long ago funny where I am at now and it started there!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 PM

Ha ha nice man...sounds like youve had some fun for sure!!

Old 05-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by qikcat
That was a slow pass, track wasn't there that day and you hate to spin in the finals. She would run 8.20s on a good pass and a best of 8.02 at 178mph. We left at 5k rpm and 15-17psi of boost with a 75shot on the transbreak to keep the turbo spooled. Ramped to 35 psi by the 60' and 45psi at 100' With a best 60' of 1.38 not bad for radials and IRS. Its was a drag car though the toe was so far in you could never drive it fast so it would have full contact when it squatted, no swaybars, solid bushing mounts etc... Did have full interior and weighed 2900lbs!

My street car made 1050ish rwhp lots of fun but feeding them straight C-16 gets old and pricy! I miss my supras but it was a cool steeping stone into drag racing. God that was so long ago funny where I am at now and it started there!
Wow....

IRS cars - vettes and vipers specifically scare me on the street. It seems like they are so unpredictable when they break traction. I can walk my 87 Z28 all day long with the tires up in smoke, hanging the tail out there, and my foot in it, and know exactly what it's going to do.

In a Vette, Viper, and a modern GTO, it's like the damn thing breaks loose, and suddenly the back end is coming around the other way... I can only imagine a supra that powerful on the street.... I've never driven a supra.

Take care,

George

Old 05-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Dang! It's really cool witnessing the STR's rise and evolution to the tracks. Keep up the interest in STR build-up's. We need an LSD and headers.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Wow....

IRS cars - vettes and vipers specifically scare me on the street. It seems like they are so unpredictable when they break traction. I can walk my 87 Z28 all day long with the tires up in smoke, hanging the tail out there, and my foot in it, and know exactly what it's going to do.

In a Vette, Viper, and a modern GTO, it's like the damn thing breaks loose, and suddenly the back end is coming around the other way... I can only imagine a supra that powerful on the street.... I've never driven a supra.

Take care,

George
The supra is actually very predictable and easy to drive. I know what you mean though I had a 96 viper GTS with the ROE supercharger and it was a death trap! I hated that car, the rear would pass you going down the road. My 300zx was worse when it went, it was great until it let loss and then it was a sharp snap over. That said a C6 Z06 is the only car I have looped on the street, it drove very well at 98% but at 100% it took a very skilled driver, which I am but she bit me once. Lucky it didn't touch anything but got my attention!

Any car in the 1% range like my street supra is a beast to drive but it was very driveable. You just learn if its below 70 out you don't drive it, you only drive on drag radials or R compound streets, no rain ect... I have a video somewhere of the car running a 1300cc hyabussa bike with a NOS kit (and wining). At a 100mph roll on it spins the tires for about 50' before hooking the first try.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by qikcat
The supra is actually very predictable and easy to drive. I know what you mean though I had a 96 viper GTS with the ROE supercharger and it was a death trap! I hated that car, the rear would pass you going down the road. My 300zx was worse when it went, it was great until it let loss and then it was a sharp snap over. That said a C6 Z06 is the only car I have looped on the street, it drove very well at 98% but at 100% it took a very skilled driver, which I am but she bit me once. Lucky it didn't touch anything but got my attention!

Any car in the 1% range like my street supra is a beast to drive but it was very driveable. You just learn if its below 70 out you don't drive it, you only drive on drag radials or R compound streets, no rain ect... I have a video somewhere of the car running a 1300cc hyabussa bike with a NOS kit (and wining). At a 100mph roll on it spins the tires for about 50' before hooking the first try.
Yeah I hear you. I'm sure you're a MUCH better driver than me. I had a friend of mine almost die in a TT 300zx from the early 90's losing it. Those cars are almost square. Handle great, but tricky at the limits. Long and skinny is much more stable.

I've never felt comfortable pushing a vette or viper to the limit, it's always been a friends car, and a car I had little to no seat time in. I had a viper do a 180 on me lifting OUT of the throttle. That was the LAST time I got behind the wheel of one of those cars. Fortunately I too didn't actually touch anything, but it scared the hell out of me. Tanner Foust actually said that the Viper was the most difficult car to drive he had ever experienced.

Maybe because I've had the 87 since high school, and have driven it consistently since it was a mid 14 sec car all the way to now at 10:32, (without the spray), and I learned to control the power in stages... I think I'm going to finally spray it this year, just to get the one 9 sec timeslip in... frame it and call it a day .

Take care,

George

Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Lol if your not spraying your leaving something on the table. Throw a little 150 plate kit on it and that 9 should not be a problem. Bet you don't stop there once your on the juice. You will have three stages and the motor will look like a plumber convention in no time

Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 PM

Nitrous is a sick and twisted addiction...ask me how i know. LOL

I have to say i had a 94 camaro z28 with a 383 AI heads a mild cam and a paxton novi2000. Car ran strong and unless i was purposely throwing it into donut mode, just matting the throttle had the most predictable *** end of all time. the frame connectors torque arm and control arms kept that sucker in place, just burning the tires off and hanging the *** a bit to the right...actually looked pretty sick coming at you lol

My tubbed big block stang, totally different animal she just had you looking at the sky and when you came down, youd be staring at the wall if you didnt know wtf you were doing lol.

My z06 is also a different animal, i havent had the privledge to drive a viper or a supra however ive driven my c5 z06 and a c6 z06. both are similar. but the c5 is a little more free of control, when it breaks loose and you lose it unless you back off the throttle its gonna do whatEVER it wants. but once you back off she comes right back almost. the c6 was a bit more predictable but it wasnt my car so i wasnt pushing her as hard.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

After reading all this track talk I can't wait to take the STR to the track.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM

^ agreed !!! It's giving me the itch to build another track car and wave bye bye to the vette

Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zee oh sex
Nitrous is a sick and twisted addiction...ask me how i know. LOL

I have to say i had a 94 camaro z28 with a 383 AI heads a mild cam and a paxton novi2000. Car ran strong and unless i was purposely throwing it into donut mode, just matting the throttle had the most predictable *** end of all time. the frame connectors torque arm and control arms kept that sucker in place, just burning the tires off and hanging the *** a bit to the right...actually looked pretty sick coming at you lol

My tubbed big block stang, totally different animal she just had you looking at the sky and when you came down, youd be staring at the wall if you didnt know wtf you were doing lol.

My z06 is also a different animal, i havent had the privledge to drive a viper or a supra however ive driven my c5 z06 and a c6 z06. both are similar. but the c5 is a little more free of control, when it breaks loose and you lose it unless you back off the throttle its gonna do whatEVER it wants. but once you back off she comes right back almost. the c6 was a bit more predictable but it wasnt my car so i wasnt pushing her as hard.
That's exactly how I feel. My 3rd Gen 87 and your 4th gen 94 were basically identical underneath, and yeah you could walk it, tires up in smoke with the *** end hanging out all you wanted. The IRS cars, once it goes, it's like god help you... It's just not a safe feeling...

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 PM

Finally made it to the track tonight. Just got home. Not overly happy with the results but not disappointed either...

It was a pretty warm and muggy night up here tonight all night even when the sun went down the heat didnt let up much. Gorgeous night especially compared to all the rain we've had so I'm not complaining, but not a great night for racing.

Also I pulled into the track at 630 after a 40-45min trip up there and racing started at 615 so my car had about 10 mins of shut down time before my first run. Also I left the tire pressure at around 35psi...didnt have a good air gauge on me and on a street tire like my 285 contiprocontact I don't think airing down helps all that much.

I left off idle each run I didn't brake rev the car at all.

I'm 180lbs with a full tank of 93 I only ran a 13.98 at 102.76 with a 2.25 60' for my first pass. I was thoroughly pissed with myself.

So the car sat for about half hour with the hood open in between each run. I got 5 total. Times and 60' consistently dropped until I got it to it's best run of the night on my last run with a time sheet showing a 1.962 60' time a trap speed of 103.46 mph and an ET of 13.582...

I'm guessing if the car had some time to actually cool off before making a run I could cut the ET down by close to 0.3's of a second with a mixture of better weather and no heatsoak.

All in all it's not a bad baseline and it cracked 13's for my first launch and full pass ever in the car.

Now to decide whether I really want to waste the $ on pulley exhaust intake and tune. Probably would net a full second drop in the ET, or close to it.

Let me know how my results are in your opinions!! I can get exact weather specs for you guys if you want, that way you can compare them to yours.

Quick Reply: 2005 S-type R Track Times