S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-type R Track Times

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Have no doubt that you know what you are doing, just give my views also as a customer. Not sure what sort of piggyback system you would like to use, but you need to think about the heat that the ECU is compensating (although you mention already some good measures against heat). If it is a simple ECU that can only + and - injection time at certain rpms it might be tricky as when you would set and test this based upon a hot system (so like in 4th on the graph), you could go to lean on a cold system (i.e. 2nd gear in the graph).
If you go the tuning route, and you can’t take the heat (or an extra lambda sensor to check the mixture) into consideration, then a tune on the original ECU might be the better road.
No problems I appreciate your views and your knowledge on the 32 bit Denso. As far as a customer just to be clear I am not going to be selling anything, I will put the info out there for anyone who wishes to use it and am working with a shop that I will also turn the info over to that can be the go to place for anyone wanting it, I have no affiliation with the shop other then knowing the guys and their work and I will not make a penny off it. I don't work with the public, Race cars is my thing I do well at it and I like that niche. I will leave the customer relations to others.

The word piggy back is a little misleading for this system its really a ECU just being used to only control certain parameters of the motor in conjunction with the stock ecu. Basically were changing values at the ecu and changing feed back coming back into the ecu.

We are to a point + and - changing fuel trims and 02 feed back. We are also using our own map sensor and wide-band 02 sensors at the same time. I can change the fuel trims and 02 feed back to the stock ecu under certain conditions and then under say a lean condition due to IAT rising or for any other reason I can roll back my fuel corrections based on my 02. We could also set it up to make changes up to a certian point and then lets say the 02 goes beyond the chart we set up as safe, at the point the corrections drop out and the ecu goes into it's preset safety mode just as it normally would.

When I was working on the ecotech motor program with Roush racing we were using the pectel ecu. It was left over from there Indy car program and since money is king that is what we were given to use because it was paid for. Problem was the ecu wasn't built for forced induction! We had to use multipliers to accommodate the boost based on a five bar map sensor basically using what was meant to be altitude corrections. I learned with the system you can with enough time trick anything. WE also were running 62psi of boost on a 4bar sensor so you had to hail marry the last line of code multiplier since it was off the graph LOL! Made 1600hp with a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder anything can be done.

All that to say we can kill the heat with a combination of octane, evaporation, freon and efficiency. In the very likely case that at some point something will go very wrong we can either let the ecu take over or make our own input. I always have a death watch program in this case it may be just letting the ecu regain control in case we run out of meth, get bad fuel etc...

This is a sc430 we did the same thing on. This car is running a stock can bus Lexus ecu for the naturally aspirated motor with a motech ecu running piggy back. It has 1000cc inj, twin 66mm turbos, the stock drive by wire TB and everything works as it should, dash, trans etc... Was making about 650hp here. We latter ditched the stock ecu and went all motech because the guy wanted 800+.
YouTube - ‪Twin Turbo SC430‬‏

Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Wow, cool stuff! It's great to hear you're not in the stick-on-a-piggyback-it's-easy tribe.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Just thinking out loud; another option might be to take away the possibility for the denso ecu to use its own strategies when it comes to the heat measured via the AIT2 (the temp sensor behind on the left hand intercooler). This way you don’t have to make it complex to counteract the strategy, yet leave everything else right for the stock ECU. Then you need your own sensor on the intercooler, and put the original sensor on a place where it measures ambient temps, and use the possibilities of your ECU to use your own strategies based on the temp sensor in the intercooler. Then the fuel trims will be more linear, and easier to manipulate.

Please don’t do this at home

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I'm lost in the computer lingo; but the talk sounds like there's a possibility of remapping the STR....

Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

It's a typo for IAT2 (2nd IAT, intake air temperature) sensor. Not computer lingo, really. Car electrics lingo.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by avos
Just thinking out loud; another option might be to take away the possibility for the denso ecu to use its own strategies when it comes to the heat measured via the AIT2 (the temp sensor behind on the left hand intercooler). This way you don’t have to make it complex to counteract the strategy, yet leave everything else right for the stock ECU. Then you need your own sensor on the intercooler, and put the original sensor on a place where it measures ambient temps, and use the possibilities of your ECU to use your own strategies based on the temp sensor in the intercooler. Then the fuel trims will be more linear, and easier to manipulate.

Please don’t do this at home
That is most likely the route it will go. I have to get into the ecu to explore the inputs and maps I have available as so far I have only used this ecu once (last week LOL) once its setup and I see where the strategies come in exactly what they are and to what extent I will have a better idea. I like the idea of the stock computer running fail safe for the double redundancy and the idea of taking it out of the loop for control. Its just to early to say how it will shake out since you first plan normally goes out the window pretty quick on these projects LOL

Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Wow, cool stuff! It's great to hear you're not in the stick-on-a-piggyback-it's-easy tribe.
Well the word easy is relative LOL. Its not that it's out of the realm of whats been done you just have to consider a lot of variables and know how to work around them.
It has been done so its simple to a point, if its never been done its trying, and my favorite, if it can not be done then its just more expensive

Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by qikcat
Well the word easy is relative LOL. Its not that it's out of the realm of whats been done you just have to consider a lot of variables and know how to work around them.
It has been done so its simple to a point, if its never been done its trying, and my favorite, if it can not be done then its just more expensive
Couldn't agree more

Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm really very interested in seeing how you guys make out with this...keep me posted!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

jagv8, not to sound self denegrating, but..."car electronic lingo" looks and sounds much like "computer lingo" to me. LOL! Haven't a clue what this stuff is.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

LOL - fair comment!!

It's a weird hybrid of terms borrowed from all over the place.

Start with some basics and just keep at it

Such as:
http://www.onboarddiagnostics.com/page02.htm

JTIS is quite good, believe it or not, as are the jag Technical Guides. (No good at teaching OBD, they don't try to do that, but they show how the parts of the car hang together.)

Last edited by JagV8; 06-07-2011 at 08:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 AM

LOL it's a lot of trade lingo added in to. My wife went with me to the Atlanta race and commented that after an hour at the trailer she didn't understand one word we said! Keep in mind my wife hears a lot of me on the phone talking someone through something so she probably knows more then a lot of mechanics about how things work.

With real pro race guys it gets real bad. When you live it your jokes, your stories even your analogys all centers around race lingo. The turbo pro mod me and my partner setup that everyone in the industry said would never work set both ends of the world record last weekend in NJ. I am on the phone (quite excited) letting chris know it ran a 5.80 flat and my wife asked so what did it trap I was so proud!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 AM

seems like you have her trained well!!! lol

Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by zee oh sex
seems like you have her trained well!!! lol
Yep she picks up a lot, Part of me living it! I wish she could travel with me more but her practice keeps her home unfortunately. Best part was when I said 258mph she said that is flying for a door slammer

Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

10-4 on the wife qwikcat. My wife is beginning to tolerate me blasting it when we're returning from date night dinner.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't forget to turn the A/C off as well as the DSC.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

So has anyone else ran Their car at the track yet? If so what was you 1/8 mile trap speed and 1/4 splits?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 PM

If it ever drops below 95+ here I will hit the track. Not much sense doing it in this heat!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 PM

^agreed!!! id like to go back once more to play...

but its either downpoured or been above 85degrees here everyday for the past three weeks