Sponsored by:

2005 STR Shift Solenoid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 STR Shift Solenoid Replacement

Hi, fairly new member here.

Little back story.

So i've had an 2005 S-Type R for a couple of months now purchased this at 87k miles back in March and just about to hit 90k now. So far i've done just a basic tune-up (oil change, spark plugs, coils, and filters) So after i did this i noticed i was getting a sort of a random jerk when i was at stop signs or red lights. Looked into it for a bit and i believe i was experiencing the famous "ZF Lurch" the odd thing was that before this the transmission was running great no issues, i would get the restricted performance light time to time but came to realize it was because i had a bad coil causing a misfire all was resolved with the change of coils and sparkplugs. So a week later after experiencing the "lurch" i started noticing i would get rough shifts mainly 3-4 just this past week around thursday after these rough shifts kept happening i started getting the "gearbox fault" message on the dash. After that it won't shift past 3rd gear. The "S" button will not come on and it will not let me shift in the gear selector either even if i am "shifting manually" it will go back to the "D" once the error message pops up. If i turn the car off and on the message goes away it lets me shift in "manual mode" and the "S" button will be able to light back up, however once i get back on the road and the rough shifts happen again the same issue will occur. I plugged it into a OBD II and got the following transmission codes, P0730 P0735 & P0783. I've been looking into this for a couple of days here in the forums and all around the internet. I've came to the conclusion it might be the shift solenoids or low transmission fuel. Seeing as this being an S-Type R about to hit 100k miles with no real certainty of how she was treated by her previous owners, i was opting for replacing the shift solenoids, changing the sleeves, filter and refilling it with new oil rather than just checking if the oil was low and topping her off.

Question.
With that being said my only concern is choosing the correct shift solenoids. Does anyone know what colors i should look for as this is the 2005 STR or are they all common. I have seen some kits that come with blue and yellow and some that come with a couple of orange ones which is what brought my concern. I am based out in Mexico just across the border from El Paso, Texas just as an fyi as i do see a lot are based out in the UK. I have also looked into the ATF i will have to buy but have not found one yet as i will probably have to get one from the states if i do not find the correct one here in Mexico. Aside from this anything else i should try or be aware of before i try to tackle this.

FYI. I also have the DSC Fault and CATS SYSTEM Fault message on the dash these have been on there since i purchased the car but i have not ran into any issues due to these with the gearbox prior to what happened this past week.

Old Today, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 562 Likes on 423 Posts

To be positive on parts you can raise the drivers side of car high enough to get under easy. While on safety stands look on that side of trans for a flat metal area with numbers and zf on it. The number series you want will be stamped in and should start 1068. That series of numbers id your trans parts list. That being said the solenoids you want should be yellow and blue and maybe one black one. The ones in the trans may be discolored from bright yellow to dark yellow and bright blue to a dull green

Last edited by scottjh9; Today at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (Today)