S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 up wiper blades

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2005 up wiper blades

Ok after reading about the wiper blade problem with 05's and up I feel completely lost, it seems that most of the threads are over a year old.
Has anyone found a wiper blade that fits?
Sorry if this has been done to death but I just put in a set of RainX's and they fit really really tight at the hook end, I just wanted to know if something else other than than Napa blades will work?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel your pain...haha

What I've been doing was buying the Trico thread refills and putting them on my original blades. Not that hard to do either. They last pretty long too so no need to do it frequently.

Also, somewhere on one of the threads there was a mention that you can buy universal washer fluid squirters that attach to the blade. Sadly I forgot which one exactly...

The following users liked this post:
devo357 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Sal I guess no one has come up with an exact replacement, I'm thinking im just going to grind a little out of the RainX's so they wont be so tight.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by salmanezkhanz

Also, somewhere on one of the threads there was a mention that you can buy universal washer fluid squirters that attach to the blade. Sadly I forgot which one exactly...

It was I that posted that. Auto Zone carries the universal squirters. They are keeped behind the counter, you will have to ask to see them.

I also just purchase the replacement blades and reuse the metal holder thingies (arms).

The following users liked this post:
salmanezkhanz (12-17-2012)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I can't believe it

Hey All,
I've just owned my 2005 S-Type R for a few months, and love it, but it failed inspection today for a few reasons...one of which is the wiper blades are worn.

I'm astounded to find out that I can't replace my own wiper blades.

I've got the squirter riveted to the existing blade.

If I can find the universal squirters at Autozone, how do I remove the old squirter line from the old squirter and install the new one on the new blade.

I just can't believe somebody made this simple job so difficult.

Also, if I decide to go with the replacement inserts rather than the blades, where are you buying those? Also autozone?

Thanks for any input.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

NAPA sells the inserts. If your NAPA store doesn't stock them, they can order them for you and usually have them by the next day. A set of two typically costs about ten bucks. I change them once per year right before annual inspection time each December. Works like a charm for me....

Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Another 2005 STR here. Yes I have the factory metal blade holders and just swap the rubber insert out.

Yes it's too complicated but that's what we have.

Another reason this list is so valuable. Little stuff like this gets figured out!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by inlucemedita
Hey All,
I've just owned my 2005 S-Type R for a few months, and love it, but it failed inspection today for a few reasons...one of which is the wiper blades are worn.

I'm astounded to find out that I can't replace my own wiper blades.

I've got the squirter riveted to the existing blade.

If I can find the universal squirters at Autozone, how do I remove the old squirter line from the old squirter and install the new one on the new blade.

I just can't believe somebody made this simple job so difficult.

Also, if I decide to go with the replacement inserts rather than the blades, where are you buying those? Also autozone?

Thanks for any input.
There's a thread on Wiper blades where all of the options are discussed. There are lots of choices. Do a little searching and don't allow yourself to become frustrated.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Well, I have been searching...and reading...and searching some more...and buying...and I've still been stymied.

I ordered the parts 60-2401 and 60-1998 from NAPA.

Picked them up today...but...guess what...they didn't hand me 60-2401, they handed me 60-2499 and said that 60-2401 had been superceded by 60-2499. So I bought them anyway, and you guessed it. They don't fit.

Called them back and the guy says that he can't get 60-2401 anymore.

So anybody want to sell me some 2401's that they have laying around?
I'll pay shipping and your time since I can't get my luxury automobile to pass inspection without this $6 replacement part.

The 19 inch ones fit fine by the way.

This is absurd...

Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

My 05 STR came with a Rainx blade that wasn't even making contact with the windscreen! The arm was so tight that I couldn't move it, so just went to the Jag dealer.

They said "wrong arm", and replaced both with Jag OEM arms and rubber inserts, complete with on-board squirters, total price just under $40. I was so pleased I bought another set of replacement inserts for use in a year's time, cost $20. My contribution to the dealer's bottom line.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll throw this out there as extra information:

If you buy any Michelin wipers, just call the 1800 number on he back of the package and ask them to send you some "wet arm clips" and they will send it to you within 3-5 business days in the mail free of charge.

I didn't try it out, but my friend did. He had no complaints.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by inlucemedita
Well, I have been searching...and reading...and searching some more...and buying...and I've still been stymied.

I ordered the parts 60-2401 and 60-1998 from NAPA.

Picked them up today...but...guess what...they didn't hand me 60-2401, they handed me 60-2499 and said that 60-2401 had been superceded by 60-2499. So I bought them anyway, and you guessed it. They don't fit.

Called them back and the guy says that he can't get 60-2401 anymore.

So anybody want to sell me some 2401's that they have laying around?
I'll pay shipping and your time since I can't get my luxury automobile to pass inspection without this $6 replacement part.

The 19 inch ones fit fine by the way.

This is absurd...
Don't bother with the Napa ones or the Rain X ones either. They won't fit. Trico makes 2 types that fit. Once such set is mentioned here in my thread as well as a few other members also provided options

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-53433/page4/

Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 AM

Of course the question is then where to buy the Trico inserts.
I've got autozone, advance, and napa near me.

None of them appear to have the Trico inserts when I search the web sites.

I ended up ordering some from Orielly (not in my area) and having them sent.
Be about 5 days to get here.

At this point I give it a 50% chance of being the right ones.
Sorry but I'm getting a little jaded.

This was supposed to be the easiest of the 4 things I need to have fixed on this car in order to get it to pass inspection.

We'll see how the other 3 go.
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Well you said you'd searched and read but the threads say Trico so I have to say I'm puzzled why you didn't just get Trico or some from the dealer. Yes it's hard when you go the cheap but known wrong route. This site really helps if you take its recommendations...

Old 05-04-2013, 08:25 AM

A whole bunch of people in the threads say Napa worked for them.
Maybe you and I are reading different threads.

I wasn't trying to go cheap, I'll pay many times the cost of refills to get this thing on the road if I can get my hands on the part that works.

I'd gladly have bought Trico if I could get my hands on them, but, as I said in my previous post they aren't carried by the parts stores near me. I've now ordered them.

Further I didn't say there was anything wrong with this site. I'm frustrated that what is a very simple fix for the vast majority of cars is a 10 day project on this one. In fact the site has been very helpful, although your post didn't add anything useful.

At least my posts have pointed future users away from Napa part number 60-2499.

Thanks much.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

As you say you've more things to fix you might read up on them then maybe post what each problem's reading turned up so people might try to help if you accidentally followed a wrong path.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM

The Trico's I provided the part number for are not inserts. They are the rubber blades with the "METAL" hosters that mount directly to the 2005 Jaguars. The price is one you cannot pass up. I have a different set on my car from Trico now (Part numbers elude me at the moment but the blades fit really well. These again are not refills, they are the entire blade and work really well. I think the cost for the 19" and 24" were about 37 dollars together.

If you want rubber refills, every jaguar dealership has the refills for the default blade holsters that come with the car for about 39 a pair.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Another option is to purchase a set of "break-to-fit" refills that fit a 6mm claw width. They typically come in sets about 28 inches long. You break them (for better precision, cut them) for the length you need. Use your original blade as a guide, or simply measure out 24 inches for the drivers side and 19 inches for the passenger side. I've seen these in our local Advance Auto Parts stores. Again, they must fit a 6mm claw width....

Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

There is rather a tendency for people to see something like "got from Napa" and the person reading ASSUMES they have the same car so Napa is the answer. More research would show they have a similar but different car and anyway maybe Napa stopped carrying the ones. The 2005 isn't the same as the 2004 for wipers. And so on. These are low volume cars, imported, in the USA and kept changing.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Here's another wiper blade insert possibility for those of you struggling with your NAPA stores due to certain part numbers being superceded by other part numbers that wind up not fitting your particular application. I've had this happen to me, so I believe you....

Prior to getting her XK8 in February 2012, my wife's primary vehicle was a 2004 Lexus RX330 SUV. It required 24-inch wiper blades using a 6mm claw width, the same as our 2005-and-newer S-Types on the drivers side. The local Toyota dealer sold these blade refills for their Highlander SUV series, but they could not cross-reference our Lexus part number. So I physically took one of her blade refills into the Toyota parts department, handed it to them, and said "I need two of these, please." When they said for what vehicle, I said a 2004 Highlander. They quickly found the refills and brought two to me. Since I had one of her original Lexus inserts in my hand, I had the opportunity to compare the Lexus refill with the Toyota refill to ensure an exact fit. The inserts proved to be identical. But because I purchased them from the Toyota dealership, I think I paid about $10 each for them instead of the $18 each that Lexus charged....

NAPA apparently still can get the appropriate 19-inch blade refill for our passenger side with no issues. It is the 24-inch blade refill for our drivers side that everyone is struggling with. So if you have a Toyota dealership nearby, take your 24-inch blade refill into the parts department and ask for a 2004 Highlander blade refill. Compare the two and I will not be surprised if you've now found your source for all the drivers-side refills you'll need from now on. But I'm sure the price has increased since I did this maybe three years ago....

I will add that those Toyota blade refills were of outstanding quality. I only had to do this once during the entire 5.5 years we owned that Lexus....

Last edited by Jon89; 05-05-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 up wiper blades