S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 2006 Jaguar S-Type cheaper to maintain since it was under Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 2006 Jaguar S-Type cheaper to maintain since it was under Ford?

If I sound like an idiot, just look at my name. I was gonna buy a used 2006 S-Type, but I don't want to buy it if it is going to be as expensive as say a BMW or Mercedes to maintain. Can these S-types be repaired easily like Ford models, but just a tad more expensive just by the fact that it's a Jaguar, or are they a pain to repair in the US like BMWs and other foreign cars.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Do you DIY?

Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Repair costs are about the same as Merc or BMW. Reliability is similar too, sometimes better.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,069 Posts

A friend who has dabbled in all three tells me the "gud german kahs" (Sidewise fist-pumping whilst uttering this with all muscles in your body fully tensed and a guttural-voice-tone required!!!) parts-costs are significantly higher than parts for the Jag "S-Types." Of course, there are exceptions depending on the part. And I know he's had an X200 and an X202, I don't know which Merc's and Beemers he's had for comparison sake. Only so much room in my brain, can't be bothered to store the cars that friends held in former times.

Rick's question is key: Do you? If not, and you are concerned about maint. and repair costs...probably should pass it by.

Sorry, just noticed you are new - Rick aka JoycesJag. Btw, welcome to the forum. You need to make an introduction on the New Members area and have a quick-read of the forum rules and guidelines to enjoy the full benefits of this fantastic site.

Last edited by aholbro1; 05-21-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Not sure why the OP believes that foreign cars are 'a pain' to repair in the US.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,871 Posts

As others have already stated, if you cannot DIY the vast majority of your automotive maintenance and repairs and you are concerned about having to pay someone else to do those tasks for you, then do not acquire a Jaguar....

Old 05-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnoob
If I sound like an idiot, just look at my name. I was gonna buy a used 2006 S-Type, but I don't want to buy it if it is going to be as expensive as say a BMW or Mercedes to maintain. Can these S-types be repaired easily like Ford models, but just a tad more expensive just by the fact that it's a Jaguar, or are they a pain to repair in the US like BMWs and other foreign cars.
+1 on joycesjag's comment. If you're concerned about maintenance/repair cost and don't DIY, then make it easy and buy Honda, Toyota, Kia or Hyundai. If however you want a Jag or other import that's 10+ years old, then you really need to find one that's been taken care of by previous owner(s). Cars are machinery that needs to be maintained; many owners (not here though) don't care a fig about keeping their cars up and are in a pickle when they break down and face sudden expensive repairs. Tip: If you're set on one of these higher-end cars, stay away from car dealers and instead buy from an enthusiast who's maintained the car and has the records to prove it. The saying "There's nothing as expensive as a cheap (Jag, BMW, Mercedes, etc.)" is true. Buy the best car you can afford, then maintain it. My $0.02.

Last edited by swingwing; 05-21-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

The other thing I'd mention is that a tremendous amount of knowledge and help is available on the internet. There's DIY videos on YouTube and a lot of help on great forums like this one. You can learn how to source parts, do the work yourself and enjoy the differences these kind of cars offer.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They are every bit as expensive as their German cousins if you use the dealership, but almost every major city has a decent British car shop that thrives because they charge reasonably. The shop I frequent (British Automotive in Scottsdale) is honest, knowledgeable, and very reasonable.
I repair simple things myself whenever possible.

Last edited by DigitalDisaster; 05-21-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Not sure why the OP believes that foreign cars are 'a pain' to repair in the US.
Well, I sort of agree with the original statement, based on how parts are sold. Let's use a common wear and tear part for comparison, the electric motor for the radiator fan. The carbon brushes wear down, the commutator gets pitted, and eventually the motor stops working. Drive a car so equipped for long enough, and that motor will wear out.

On my '02 V6, the motor is not available separately as a new part. The only option for new is to purchase a complete shroud/fan/motor assembly, which is ridiculous as the existing shroud and fan are still perfectly good. Only the motor itself needs to be replaced. The complete assembly runs $500+ new. Special order, too, so expect to wait. I'm cheap. I rebuilt the motor myself after finding some brushes that would work.

I went through the same thing with a '96 Audi A4. The fan motor was only available new as part of the same assembly, at over $400. I rebuilt that motor as well.

Now pick a garden variety domestic US sedan, like a Taurus or an Impala. That same type of motor is sitting on the shelf at your local parts store, for maybe $50.

So I'd say expect to run into a lot of parts issues like that. Not a deal killer, but something to keep in mind if you've never owned a European car.

On the plus side, as the OP was wondering, many Jaguar parts of this vintage are straight out of the Ford parts pin. That brings those prices down significantly, if you know the Ford part number. That also means more aftermarket support, too. Lots of info in the forum about parts interchangeability.

I should also stress I love my Jag and it has been the most reliable car I've owned. Damn, she looks great, too. What a sweet ride. But upkeep won't be cheap if you're not doing it yourself.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (05-23-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 11:19 AM

I can quote many examples of domestic (North American) cars being a PIA to repair in terms of cost and complexity vs. the opposite of European and British cars. I've found that for the few parts that we share with the Ford family, sometimes the Jag equivalent is the least expensive.

As an ex-boss once said 'everyone who stereotypes is an idiot'. We all enthusiastically agreed with him.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

I live in Germany and here I find that the Jaguar is better made than the Mercs and BMWs. Yes it can be more difficult to get the correct spare parts here but if you do your research it is always possible to get a part at a reasonable price. E.g. the lambda sensor. One source wanted 185 euros but after looking around I found it for 97 euros.

The trick is to try and find out who manufactured the part and not to buy it direct from Jaguar.

you can download the workshop manual here so you can work on the car yourself. The OBDII codes can make the diagnostic process a lot easier.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (05-23-2017)