S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 S-Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

There are some dyno sheets already on the forum you can look at if you wish. (None for this particular company, despite requests.)

The STR just has cats - one per bank - so "primary" is misleading or even just plain wrong. In view of the previous trouble we've all suffered here with this particular tuning company and the complete absence of any before&after dynos this does not seem good at all.

If you're able to provide dyno results - and beware leanness - that'll be great.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

QESIII, many of us STR owners have placed hi-flow cats and ported the supercharger. Did ECU Tuning Group say they aren't able to tune our ECU's do to these modifications?

Last edited by bfsgross; 05-22-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

OESIII, I can see that you reached the limit of your tolerance, but you should know you're not alone. This forum has been like pure gold to me ever since I joined a few months ago, and in particular bfsgross has been really helpful.

I have just fitted a qwiketz 3" inlet pipe, a K&N filter and removed the inlet air baffle plate. Took her out on the road, and noticed an immediate improvement. I still have the OEM cats and will soon be fitting a 1.7 lb pulley which is sitting on the shelf. I have spoken with the ECU Tuning agent in Vancouver, and he says the same things that you do.

So, for better or worse, I am going to get an ECU Tuning job. I don't smoke, don't drink or gamble hard, but I plan to invest that $1000 and see what happens. Afterwards, my butt dyno will tell me whether or not the money was well spent.

I do appreciate that many of the guys here take their cars to drag and track meets, and so really want to see more absolute numbers. For me, satisfaction will be an obvious increase in power, including a more certain ability to smoke Mustangs with a bad attitude. Dyno readings can wait until I get hold of a twin-screw SC. In the meantime, a poor performance from ECU Tuning will guarantee them bad publicity on this forum.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,351 Likes on 8,597 Posts

Robinb, how will you know if the tune is good or bad without a dyno run afterward?
Why wait for a t/s to do a dyno?
You would be doing everyone who is waiting for results a favor.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Robin, ditto to Jay. A dyno may help us either stay or get off the fence. Did ECU Tunin Group say wether they recommend their tune for a modded STR?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 PM

Butt dyno is really all I care about for a 10% power increase - I am either going to be pleased or not pleased by the extent to which my spine is straightened at WOT.

On the other hand, this forum has saved me so much money in the last 3 months that the least I can do is return the favor. So, I will do a dyno afterwards and publish the results. But bear in mind, this dyno will be for a stock 2005 STR with:
57000 miles
OEM cats
Intake air baffle removed
K&N filter
Qwiketz tube with thermal wrap
1.7 lb Mina pulley
Low-temp thermostat
ECU Tuning

The ECU guy did say the qwiketz tube and 1.7 lb pulley was OK, but they
would not accept a 3 lb pulley, and wanted either OEM cats or a Quicksilver exhaust. So, I am a perfect fit. We shall see. Couple of weeks.

Last edited by Robinb; 05-24-2012 at 11:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robinb:
bfsgross (05-23-2012), Panthro (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Robin, we eagerly await the results of your dyno run. It'll give many of us a perspective from which to decide one way or the other....

Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Str

Thanks for all of the advice.I appreciate it.I was hoping to see some dyno results of a stock STR so I can see where I should have been before the tune.I don't need to see the actual dyno sheet,just telling me what they were is fine.Now I've got ants in my pants waiting for the dyno next Tuesday.I really hope it's close to what I'm expecting or I'm not going to be too happy with the company either.It has been running very well and they predicted about a 45 HP gain from just the tune.I guess we'll see.
About the CATS.I have been saying secondary CATS.I meant the center resonators.Sorry.Removed them and installed an X pipe.I replaced the black baffled air intake with a straight pipe from the throttle body into a K&N filter.I guess that's the same as a qwiketz? If not let me know.Is the inlet air baffle plate the plate that opens and closes automatically? I hate to sound dopey,but I,m not sure about some of these things.
I don't recall if ECU Tuning Group mentioned anything about a tune on a modded STR or not.
As far as adding hi-flow CATS and porting and polishing the supercharger,they advised me not to.I believe the reason for not changing the CATS was due to possibly not passing inspection due to emissions.The P & P of the supercharger I was told by them that due to the thinning of the walls of the supercharger and the extreme heat in the engine compartment,the supercharger would be pulling in hotter air than it should causing a reduction in power instead of an increase.Sounded logical to me at the time,but what the heck do I know! When you changed the CATS and replaced them with hi-flows was there anything else that had to be done to pass inspection?Also with the supercharger have there been any problems after the P & P or is it worthwhile doing it?What would the P & P cost on the supercharger be and also the price of the hi-flow CATS and which company I should get them from? The only other thing is the heads.Everyone on the forum says not to P & P the heads.I'm pretty sure it was Eurotoys that advertised a 70 HP gain from doing the heads,but I'm really not certain.I really have to check out their website to see.If you people are telling me that it's a bad idea then I won't have them done.
Well,I can really go on and on,because I need to know,but I'll stop bending your ears for now.
Thanks for the help:
OESIII

Old 05-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member

There are already dyno sheets, as I mentioned before.

Such as www.jaguarforums.com/forum/attachments/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-15/1333d1254939586-gabriel-s-type-r-build-thread-stock-dyno-pdf

you might like this thread too
www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-15/2005-s-type-r-track-times-54121/page7/

can't recall where I got this:

Attached Thumbnails 2006 S-Type-R-str-dyno-davey2.jpg  

Last edited by JagV8; 05-24-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

OES, Magnaflow makes an affordable hi-flow cat and x-pipe (most of us are using these) and they haven't thrown codes. Install is straight forward and relatively inexpensive. Eurotoys claim of 70 hp gained from their P & P heads is just that...a claim. Since the ECU tune what does your "Butt Dyno" read?

The following users liked this post:
OESIII (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Str/oesiii

Thanks bfsgross.I have a dyno appointment for this coming Tuesday,so I'll post the results when I get them.I called Magna Flows tech.dept. and they told me that unless my original cats were bad it would be a waste of money to replace them with their hi-flow cats because their cats are only oem replacement cats and the HP gain would be very insignificant.At best a 3 to 4 HP gain.
Do you know what the cost of a port and polish of the supercharger is and what the subsequent power gain should approximately be?
Also is the chiller killer a methanol/water injection system?I also saw someone had mentioned a water wetter.I never heard of that.
Do you also feel that porting and polishing the heads is a bad idea?
How about the crank and the cam,rear and tranny? It was sooo much easier to figure out 40 years ago!Thanks again.OESIII

Old 05-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

40 years ago the OEMs made simple and crude, low-tech, low perf and low efficiency engines in massive quantities. The aftermarket and individual tuners found lots of easy opportunities for increased torque and horsepower (frequently at the expense of reliability and mileage) which spawned the 'hot rod' industry.

All those backyard mechanic tricks we used to pull- hotter cams, increased compression, p&p intake and exhaust tracts, modified jetting, optimized ignition advance etc etc. have pretty much already been incorporated by Jag into the production AJ series engines. They didn't leave much on the table in other words.

Keeping in mind that the S-type engine is only 256 cubic inches and the non-R already puts out 300 HP in stock form, no Edelbrock or Crane cams magic-in-a-box is going to do much.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:55 PM

I'm somewhat puzzled, Mikey, and hope you can explain....

My understanding is that NA cars, at best, can manage about 75 HP per litre of engine capacity. On the other hand, turbocharged engines can go up to and over 200 HP per litre. My previous car, a Saab 9000 Aero was giving over 150 HP per litre, and could have gone even higher.

On this forum, avos says that a twin-screw supercharger could easily add 100 HP to an STR. If he's right, Jaguar DID leave something on the table.

What do you think the odds are that a TS supercharger and (presumably) an ECU tune could, without too many other problems, take the STR to 500+ HP?

Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Remember this is not a racecar lol. I would like to see if the tranny could handle 500hp, which is doubtful, or any other drive train parts for that matter. Just like 40 years ago, it was wise to upgrade all the other components that are connected to the engine. And also remember a used str engine is something like $6k for just the engine and $15k for a new one. 500hp could be quite expensive to maintain correctly. E55 amg's are already 500hp and actually have an aftermarket; this could be a wiser choice for those looking for more power.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

OESIII, Magnaflow must have misunderstood your request. Their hi-flow cats are by no means similar to that of OEM. They flow way more air at any given time. Rasputin, Avos's 2000 XKR formally had a 4.0 s/c but now runs an STR motor (4.2) with a twin screw, laying down 635 chp or 535+ rwhp. He made no exhaust modifications either. It's very concievable that an STR with a twin screw will produce between 500-600 Cadillac CTS V eating horsepower.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinb
On this forum, avos says that a twin-screw supercharger could easily add 100 HP to an STR. If he's right, Jaguar DID leave something on the table.
I was referring to internal engine mods, specifically old school hot-rodding tricks. The sky is the limit (within reason) once external stuff like turbo or supercharging or NOS etc etc come into play.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
OESIII, Magnaflow must have misunderstood your request. Their hi-flow cats are by no means similar to that of OEM. They flow way more air at any given time. Rasputin, Avos's 2000 XKR formally had a 4.0 s/c but now runs an STR motor (4.2) with a twin screw, laying down 635 chp or 535+ rwhp. He made no exhaust modifications either. It's very concievable that an STR with a twin screw will produce between 500-600 Cadillac CTS V eating horsepower.
I applaud Avos for all of his pioneering efforts, but my point is that we do not know the upper limits of the STR or the sum of its parts. I added 100rwhp to my Camaro but if I add anymore, I will have to redo the tranny, buy a new rear end, and buy a $1300 clutch, with suspension that can put the power to the ground efficiently. If I dont, something will eventually break or be used inefficiently (like running 12's instead of 11's). In other words, adding 100rwhp was cheap, roughly $2000, but everything else will cost $4-$5K to do it right. This hobby costs money, so if you want to experiment with a $15K engine, be my guest, but realize what the end result could be. I bought an STR for many reasons, and one of them is because I knew adding 10-15% rwhp would be easy, relatively affordable, and hopefully within the limits of reliability. The law of diminishing returns tells me that adding anymore is beyond the risk I am willing to take. I stand by my comment that this is not a race car and there are plenty of other cars that would be better platforms to go mod crazy with.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member

As I recall, the car avos modded eats transmissions

Old 05-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

Point well taken Rasputin. Personally, I'd be satisfied with 400 rwhp as an upper limit. Jagv8, we need to know what trans Avos is presently using.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

They were ZF ones and I think 6HP26 but I suppose could be 5HP24. It's a modded XKR as I recall - some searching on his member name (avos) should find out as he did post something and I think in this forum.

Quick Reply: 2006 S-Type-R