S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 S-Type V8 AC compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2006 S-Type V8 AC compressor replacement

Hi, Its time to replace my 4.2L V8 AC compressor. Has anyone done this job and would be able to share the best way to get the compressor out. It looks like the motor needs to be lifted and the steering rack moved, although it also looks like it may come out if I remove the air cleaner box and lots of other stuff in the way,

Its not producing any cold air and I have high pressure bleed through to the low pressure side. The compressor does run, but only for short periods and the low side is always high.
I can get an OEM compressor from Parts Geek for around $420 or a kit off EBay including a condenser for $235. I'm not sure about the cheap compressors, I don't want to do this twice. Any one have experience with the cheap compressors.
Thanks for the help

Old 07-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

There are several discussions on this forum about compressor/dryer replacement, so I would encourage you to read as many of those threads as possible. One highly regarded forum member recommended AC Compressor, Condenser, Evaporator and More A/C Parts at Wholesale Prices - Discount AC Parts for reasonably priced replacement kits. I bought one from them and it's working out great on my '03 S-Type. I'm sure there are also forum sponsors selling A/C parts as well.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
There are several discussions on this forum about compressor/dryer replacement, so I would encourage you to read as many of those threads as possible. One highly regarded forum member recommended AC Compressor, Condenser, Evaporator and More A/C Parts at Wholesale Prices - Discount AC Parts for reasonably priced replacement kits. I bought one from them and it's working out great on my '03 S-Type. I'm sure there are also forum sponsors selling A/C parts as well.
Replaced the compressor with an OEM unit. Replaced the filter drier as well. Removed the LHS engine mount, and lowered the rack to get it out. A slipping clutch was the problem. I could have replaced the clutch but while it was out I went the full monty with a new compressor. PIA to do.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gerry755:
abonano (07-21-2016), Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-31-2016)