S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 S-Type v8 - Radiator Fan Turns on frequently

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024 | 04:47 PM
|
Default 2006 S-Type v8 - Radiator Fan Turns on frequently

In comparison to my 03 S-Type R, the cooling fan comes on everyday in the summer season. The coolant temperature remains 210-218 F
Also, it stays on for a few minutes after turning off the engine. . Is there a problem or is this functioning as designed. Thanks

Old 03-30-2024 | 03:15 AM
Veteran Member

Where are you? I expect ambient temp matters...

Old 03-30-2024 | 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

It is normal for the fan to come on. For example, any time the AC compressor is commanded on, the cooling fan will also run, although usually at a low RPM. I suspect the fan is kicking in to high speed mode, and that is what you are hearing. On a hot day, especially if creeping along in heavy traffic, it's not considered abnormal for the fan to run faster and make more noise. And if the coolant temperature is towards the high end of the normal range (or above), the fan will run for several minutes after you shut off the engine.

Please keep in mind the dash gauge is deliberately misleading, and will be parked in the middle with the coolant temperature in the normal range of about 180-230F. I see you're using values from your scanner, so that is a good practice.

Given the chance to spend your time and money, I'd beg, borrow, or steal an infrared thermometer. The indicated temperature appears to be little higher than normal, but it's your call if you want to do anything about it as you still appear to be within the normal range. If you dig in, you'll want to confirm if dealing with an actual temperature problem or just indication.

With the engine fully warmed up, point the spiffy little laser dot on the inlet of the radiator. This will be the upper hose. Take your reading directly on the metal, not the hose. If not too buried, you could also record the temperature at the temperature sender. See if either value is close to the rating of the thermostat. 192F maybe, but don't quote me on that. If the actual temperature is much higher than the thermostat rating, a new thermostat would be a reasonable bet.

Also compare the thermometer reading to the scanner value. If within about 10F, the scanner display is reasonably accurate. If the scanner value is substantially higher than the actual temperature, a new temperature sender is worth a gamble.

If you do confirm the thermostat needs to be replaced, be sure to test the new one before installation. I have found new thermostats to be one of the most likely parts to be bad from stock. OEM, quality aftermarket, white box, it doesn't matter. Not just Jaguar, but all vehicles. I've reached the point I won't install one without testing it first. Here's a good primer on how thermostats behave and how to test:

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/tempe...ps-and-tricks/

The following users liked this post:
ampiko (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024 | 01:43 PM
|

Austin -Texas