S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 wiper blade refresh - can't position or remove wiper arm

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 02:07 PM
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2008 wiper blade refresh - can't position or remove wiper arm

Saw other posts on this , but no resolution. I'm trying to replace my HORRIBLY ineffective factory wiper blades with new Michelin Hybrid Blades (they look like they fit both the post and the squirts thingie. But I just can't get them IN POSITION to work on them. When parked, the hood is in the way (open or closed), so there's no way to turn them the full 90 degrees needed to slip the arm off the post. Multiple attempts to get the wipers to stop mid-swipe on the windscreen (which WOULD give me the correct work angle) all failed - they wipers always COMPLETE the FULL SWIPE no matter when I switch them off or pull out the key. So then, I attempted to remove the bolt holding the entire arm to the post on the wiper motor, but SOME UNKNOWN THINGS is still holding it firmly in place even with the bolt completely removed.

Why did they put such crap wipers on a $50k car, AND make them impossible to replace? I must be missing something, somewhere. Please help. I've made a mess out of it, and the rainy season is upon us. I need some advice, quick.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,093 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Originally Posted by nersveen
Multiple attempts to get the wipers to stop mid-swipe on the windscreen (which WOULD give me the correct work angle) all failed - they wipers always COMPLETE the FULL SWIPE no matter when I switch them off or pull out the key.
Wiring diagram here, see figure 13.1:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...cal-2006on.pdf

It looks like you can pull relay R16 (wiper park) at the front power distribution box under the hood. Turn the wipers on and then pull that relay in mid travel. You might even be able to pull the relay first. That should keep the wipers from parking.

The following users liked this post:
seaace (09-29-2021)
Old 12-26-2019, 08:34 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by nersveen
I attempted to remove the bolt holding the entire arm to the post on the wiper motor, but SOME UNKNOWN THINGS is still holding it firmly in place even with the bolt completely removed..

I am assuming you are referring to the nut under the cover holding the wiper arm in place? If you want to do the wiper replacement this way... replace the nut but leave it loose. use your palm or a small mallet to "pop" the arm about 3-4 inches above the nut and the arm should break loose. It shouldn't take much effort..

Or you could follow Karl's advice to stop them mid stroke.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,093 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Any updates? Did pulling the wiper park relay let them stop at mid travel?
​​​​​​

Old 01-06-2020, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 375 Posts

I just raised my wipers as high as I could and then replaced them. Did need to stop the blades anywhere.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I've never had a problem changing the refills on the original blades (05 STR) with Anco refills but ... they don't last very long. I bought a bunch of them on sale once ...
I switched to Piaa silicone blades for my Suburban and they have been a revelation. Six times as expensive as the Anco OEM crap but well worth it.

You can probably find the right size by length and width here:

PIAA | Wiper Refills

If my STR gets on the road again this spring I'll probably put them on that car as well.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,403 Likes on 2,875 Posts

PIAA refills are the best wiper blade inserts I have ever owned in more than 50 years of driving. The pair currently on my wife's 2006 XK8 are at least three years old and are still performing perfectly....

Old 01-06-2020, 04:53 PM

Here's a condensed re-cap all in one place on HOW TO INSTALL ALL NEW WIPER BLADES on S-types with the windshield squirter attached to the wiper arm.

{BTW this is all info I gathered form around the JF site - I'm just putting it all in one post for convenience.

STEP 1
Buy 1x 24-Inch driver side and 1x 19-inch passenger side MICHELIN HYBRID WIPER BLADES ($21 for both from Amazon). These are near Bosch Quality wiper blades and NOTHING like those cheap Napa or Trico blade refill packs, A set lasts me for 2-4 years with flawless performance.

STEP 2
To have the angle and room necessary to rotate your wiper blade the 90 degrees required to slip the wiper on or off the "J" hook connector at the end of the wiper arm, you will need to PARK your wiper blade at the PEAK OF SWIPE (mid-swipe) on the windscreen to allow you to work without the hood getting in your way., No amount of wiper swiping and quick pulling out the ignition key will allow you to stop the wipers mid-swipe. The only way to do this is to turn your wipers on then go to the front power distribution box under the hood and pull the R16 relay fuse at the optimal time (wiper park fuse).

STEP 3
Rotate wiper blade 90 degrees so you can slide the J hook on the end of the wiper off the black squirter/connector attached to the centre post of the old wiper blade - this black connector IS ALSO your window squirts mechanism with a hose running down into your hood AND will be the new connector clip on your new wiper blade. Carefully pull the black squirts connector clip off the old wiper blade and discard blade.

STEP 3
Remove new MICHELIN HYBRID WIPER BLADE from the package and remove any and all included attachment clips from the centre post of the wiper blade. Snap the existing black squirter/connector clip onto the centre post of the new Michelin Hybrid Wiper Blade. Lift the wiper arm about 9 inches and slide J hook at end of wiper arm through the center hole of the new wiper blade (held at an approximate 90-degree angle) so the hook can slide in, then onto to the black Squirter/connector clip assembly with the J part of the hook wrapping on the top and bottom of the squirts clip.

Whoah! You're done. Now you have awesome new wiper blades that maintain superior contact with the windscreen at all times and perform flawlessly for 3-4 years without fail. Say goodbye forever to the poor design and cheaply made OEM wiper blades on you late-model S-type.

Thanks to all who's advice got me to this solution, and good luck to anyone headed down the same path.

The following 2 users liked this post by nersveen:
Aarcuda (01-06-2020), kr98664 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 06:46 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Nersveen, thanks for the write-up! Will this work on a 2005 4.2 with the windshield squirter?

Old 01-08-2020, 04:35 AM
Received 298 Likes on 203 Posts

There is no need to park the wipers in any other position than the normal park position. Simply release whatever clip mechanism is used to hold the wiper in the "J-hook" and pull away from the closed end of the J. The wiper will then drop from the arm if you lift the arm slightly. Replacing is the reverse. It is a one-minute job. You guys are over-thinking this

The following 2 users liked this post by neilr:
jya (01-08-2020), S-Type Owner (04-06-2021)
Old 01-08-2020, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by neilr
There is no need to park the wipers in any other position than the normal park position. Simply release whatever clip mechanism is used to hold the wiper in the "J-hook" and pull away from the closed end of the J. The wiper will then drop from the arm if you lift the arm slightly. Replacing is the reverse. It is a one-minute job. You guys are over-thinking this
yup. thats what I said or meant to say

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
I just raised my wipers as high as I could and then replaced them. Didnt need to stop the blades anywhere.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:26 AM
Received 298 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
yup. thats what I said or meant to say
Oh! So you did
Sorry!

Aarcuda (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by baxterdown
Nersveen, thanks for the write-up! Will this work on a 2005 4.2 with the windshield squirter?
Don't think so. It replaces the entire blade AFAIK?

There's nothing wrong with the original blades that have the squirter. The rubber just doesn't last long enough. That's why I've converted to the PIAA silicone blades. I've got 8 months on them with my Suburban and that sits outside in the sun, rain, snow and ice all year long. Perfect so far and no more streaky windshield.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Don't think so. It replaces the entire blade AFAIK?

There's nothing wrong with the original blades that have the squirter. The rubber just doesn't last long enough. That's why I've converted to the PIAA silicone blades. I've got 8 months on them with my Suburban and that sits outside in the sun, rain, snow and ice all year long. Perfect so far and no more streaky windshield.
It DOES replace the ENTIRE blade AND it also utilizes the 2008 S-type OEM on-blade black squirter mechanism to double as the connector clip to the new blade. This only works with the Michelin Hybrid Blades, so open the package and pull out the included black connecter clip that's attached to the round metal post in the center of the new blade - just pull it out and throw it away along with the various other black clips that come in the package. The OEM 2008 S-type black plastic squirter mechanism (with the feeder hose running down to the squirts pump) also happens to have a perfect round groove on the bottom of it that perfectly snaps onto that same metal dowel in the opening of the new wiper blade. You'll also notice that the OEM squirter thing actually has a rounded edge which is the exact shape need to catch and lock onto the "J"hook at the end of the wiper arm (which is parked in the middle of your windscreen after pulling the wiper fuse at the right moment). You'll need the wiper in the mid-swipe position to be able to lift it high enough (without interference from the hood - which should be closed) then slide the J hook arm which is in one hand, through the center of the new wiper blade - whcih needs to be held perpindicular to the arm and then catch the rounded edge of the squriter aka wiper attachment clip onto the J-hook and then rotate the wiper as it catches and locks in place. Sounds complicated, but it's easy. Parking the wipers in the mid-swipe position is the hardest part - a brilliant suggestion by Karl (above). Thank You Karl. Wholaah! Brand new WIPER BLADES that work AWESOME. Fantastic wiper blades!

I have no Idea what the original owner of my 2008 S-type had done to the wiper blades, but they were all mangled, and deeply scratching the windshield - even with recommended new rubber blade refills. The wipers just skidded annoyingling and with a cringe worthy scratching noise with each uneven swipe across the windscreen, leaving large unwiped patches of mist, rain, and snow dangerously obstructing my view. An application of RainX seems like the magic elixir for both hiding the scratches and facilitating perfect, full contact with the glass throughout the entire wipe cycle - which if failed at miserably when I acquired the car last month. Problem solved. And YES sometimes the OEM wipers are beyond help.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a PO completely butchered the OEM one. So you had to do something to replace it. Glad that worked.

I see that Michelin has these in coated silicone. I wonder if those could be made to fit?

https://us.michelin-lifestyle.com/en...s/wiper-blades

Old 03-22-2021, 08:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for this. If this works for me it will be a game-changer.
Question though...I see multiple MICHELIN HYBRID BLADES on Amazon.
Which ones will work? If more than one, which do you recommend?
Thanks,
Kevin

Michelin 14524 Cyclone Premium Hybrid 24" Wiper Blade With Smart-Flex Technology, 1 Pack
Amazon Amazon

MICHELIN 24" 28524 Storm Hybrid Blade-24
Amazon Amazon

Michelin 8024 Stealth Hybrid Windshield Wiper Blade with Smart Flex Design, 24" (Pack of 1)
Amazon Amazon

Michelin Guardian Premium All-Season Hybrid Wiper Blade (24")
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-23-2021, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 474 Posts

Check the piaa website also. They have a nice fitment chart

Old 04-05-2021, 08:32 AM

Just following up, I'm afraid this did not work for me.
I bought the Michelin Guardian Hybrid blade.

When I get to the part of Step 3 that says "Carefully pull the black squirts connector clip off the old wiper blade and discard blade." I'm unable to do that.
The squirter is riveted to the old wiper blade. If I grind the rivet out it is unclear how I would be able to attach the squirter to the new blade.

I was able to remove the "refill" part of the blade and use it, but if you're going to do this you might as well just buy the refills.
If anyone else can describe how to put new entire blades on I'd love to hear it.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:42 AM

Update.
Found wiper blades on Ebay with the squirter attached.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143027178059

No instructions included incidentally...
But installed with no problem...perhaps a little difficulty removing the squirter hose from the old blade.

The initial test run with the squirter while parked seemed more like a drizzle than a spray, perhaps it will be different when at speed.
Enough liquid came out to do the job, though.

The blades seem more thoroughly pressed to the windshield than with the original, which bodes well.
No rain since then though, the real test will be operating in the rain at speed.
Cheers.

Scotlad (04-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,098 Likes on 1,724 Posts

The driver side arm on mine is distorted (I think) as the angle of attack of the blade is awful; it is pushing the blade across the screen rather than pulling it and the noise is horrible.
How hard is it to change the entire arm?