S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Subaru Sti - Killed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I'm with you on this tbird. I made it just him and I and short and sweet.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Default If you think the STR is maintenance...

Originally Posted by totalimmortal363
I have a 3.0 and I'm looking to replace it soon, and I'm having a hard time not swaying over to an AMG Merc like an E55 or even a S65. So tempting....
The MB E55 has both more negative inherent issues and expensive upkeep than the STR. An Avos twin screw will more than solve a MB E55 menacing an STR...and for less money in both initial cost of car and 200 chp MB killing Avos TS upgrade.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Default Sounds like me

Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce
I have a friend at work that swears his sti will kill anything on road. He hung a bunch of crap on it and claimed 430 hp, and it sounds like a wet fart. I told him he was going to blow bottom out of it. He went "phtttt" with a wave of his hand.

Three months later after he blew the bottom out of it, he claimed the new engine would hit 500 hp no problem. It's a shame that engine blew up on the dyno cause I would have like to ride in that before he lunched it.

I think he said he was shooting for about 350 hp on the one he's building now. But the final insult was another coworker telling him "I don't care how much you spend on that Subaru it will never sound as good as Larry's car."
Like me... your friend is a bit delusional, LOL!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

BFS, I am shaking my finger at you in disapproval for racing on the street, but patting you on the back for putting the STI in its place and making us proud! Way to go!

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

LOL! Thanks hiema. If she didn't kick down into 2nd or 3rd gear, we wouldn't have been celebrating this show of both STR prowess and idiocy, LOL! Say perhaps I was at 70+ mph, the likelihood of a favorable 3rd to 2nd downshift would not have happened, allowing the auto or manual shifted Subaru Sti to spool up its torque and superior gear spacing. Yesterday I spoke of this encounter with Chris of Mina Galleries. He concurred that from a dig, we have a disadvantage due to lack of gearing and LSD, however, when "in the the powerband" and appropriate gear for the powerband, the 4.2 s/c STR, XJR, and XKR, are going to surprise the unsuspecting, especially with opened up intake, pulley, and exhaust. Trying to decide on wether to ECU tune or whatever? Not doing a blower port, as others, including tuners, actually claim noticeably lower lowend horsepower that is only gained on the top. If an ECU tune, I'd let yas know if it's a yea or ney.

Last edited by bfsgross; 02-20-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
The MB E55 has both more negative inherent issues and expensive upkeep than the STR. An Avos twin screw will more than solve a MB E55 menacing an STR...and for less money in both initial cost of car and 200 chp MB killing Avos TS upgrade.
It seems like I waffle between the two almost daily lol

Now if a clean, white, 05+ STR comes up then we're talking, that or a 05-06 XKR Coupe. Mmmmmmmmm

Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Default Ditto to XKR

Immortal, as for an XKR, IMO, you hit the nail on the head. After my last STR payment next May, I'll be looking for an 07 XKR to hang with the 03 STR.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Tbird's reminder about street racing was timely advice. However, an empty on-ramp leading onto a parkway with no cars is an opportunity not to be missed.

bfsgross (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

Robin, once attempted to use an on ramp, only to find a Trooper using it to monitor traffic.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Robin, once attempted to use an on ramp, only to find a Trooper using it to monitor traffic.
Yep, that happened to me.
Mind you, I was driving the metro, but the cop was so angry for me startling him from his sleep, he was furious. He insinuated that I had riced out my car as I was clocked entering the highway at 80. "Its a stock 1.3 liter officer!"

Though I am quite adept at being a smart ***, I decided to play it stupid. I mean, the worst that could happen is that he would write me up for 80. But I think he couldn't. I think that he did not have adequate proof, or did not follow through with proper procedure. Because after a few minutes of him tearing out his hair in frustration, trying to communicate with the idiot I was pretending to be, he told me to leave and never come back.
"Thank you officer!"

Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

Eerie heima...we're so alike, LOL!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Meh @bfsgross.... Big woopie, an STI.....

This grey haired old fart in a, cough, cough, slightly tuned 300C barge did the same thing to a black STI on Rt8 North not that long ago....

He was in front... riding the left lane like most of Ohio's population... and I was behind him and was going faster.
After a bit he finally moved over, changing lanes real fast like he was pissed. I blew it off and just started going past him. Then he did it.... down shifted to take off...and I was like.."no you didn't"....

Floored it. And well, Diablosport's adjustments of timing and other parameters with their little hand held device is quite effective..... The look on his face as Gramps walked away was priceless....

This is one reason why, despite all it's faults, I love my 300 like you guys love your STR...

BTW: I too have referenced that dark tale in Chicago as an example of what not to do. Remember, there is a major difference between punching the pedal on an open or light traffic highway and doing stupid crap on a city street with traffic all around. Yes, there is risk to both harm and tickets, but the risks are majorly different...

Another funny note is when I have "little ducklings" following me on the highway as I boggie on home, only to be royally pissed to be stuck behind me as I do the speed limit through residential streets after exiting... Some people just don't get the difference... No kid is going to come running out from the concrete barrier on RT8.....

The following 2 users liked this post by JOsworth:
bfsgross (02-21-2013), Robinb (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Rally breeding notwithstanding, there are very few substitutes for a big V8 with a blower. On a side-note, I'd love to try a '66 Dodge Charger 440 Hemi. I'd say it'd be an outrageous amount of fun!

The humble 3.0 with manual 'box has been known to "embarrass" the occasional "fast" car too...

Last edited by jimgoose; 02-21-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Default They had those in Ireland?

Originally Posted by jimgoose
Rally breeding notwithstanding, there are very few substitutes for a big V8 with a blower. On a side-note, I'd love to try a '66 Dodge Charger 440 Hemi. I'd say it'd be an outrageous amount of fun!

The humble 3.0 with manual 'box has been known to "embarrass" the occasional "fast" car too...
When in high school back in late 1970's, was fortunate to ride in a Dode Coronet 440 4 speed. What a rush when all four barrels kicked in. "66 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi was likely similar but with a bit more gush. You must've originally hailed from the U.S.?

Last edited by bfsgross; 02-21-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 AM

When in high school back in late 1970's, was fortunate to ride in a Dode Coronet 440 4 speed. What arush when all four barrels kicked in. "66 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi was likely similar but with a bit more gush. You must've originally hailed from the U.S.?
Nope, I'm as Irish as bacon-and-cabbage. I have a liking for big, lazy Yank V8s with more torque than a planet, though!

bfsgross (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

On a side-note, I'd love to try a '66 Dodge Charger 440 Hemi. I'd say it'd be an outrageous amount of fun!
LOL... Go find a Hemi 300C to "test drive"... fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your prospective, it is a very similar experience so many decades later...

Turn off the ESP and enjoy the sideways fun!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Nope, I'm as Irish as bacon-and-cabbage. I have a liking for big, lazy Yank V8s with more torque than a planet, though!

Heh heh, the V8 power is great. Only problem with those 60s-70s musclecars is they could get you into trouble but couldn't get you out ! The steering-brakes-suspension systems were...um....a bit lacking.

And, truth be known, the vast majority of 'em could be easily beaten by today's performance cars. Only a handful ever made it into the 13s in the 1/4 mile in off-the-showroom-floor configuration. Most were mid 14s to mid 15s.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth

BTW: I too have referenced that dark tale in Chicago as an example of what not to do. Remember, there is a major difference between punching the pedal on an open or light traffic highway and doing stupid crap on a city street with traffic all around. Yes, there is risk to both harm and tickets, but the risks are majorly different...

As my Dad always told me, "There's a time and a place for everything". There are smart ways to break the law and take risks....and really dumb ways to break the law and take risks.

Problem is, adrenaline and testosterone too often have a way of overpowering good judgement. I won't be preachy, as decades ago I did my share of street racing and, frankly, did some dumb, dumb things.

My days of all-out street racing are long gone. But, I still enjoy occassional fast driving....and more so when there's a willing co-participant. I'm extremely selective about how-when-where I partake.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Heh heh, the V8 power is great. Only problem with those 60s-70s musclecars is they could get you into trouble but couldn't get you out ! The steering-brakes-suspension systems were...um....a bit lacking.

And, truth be known, the vast majority of 'em could be easily beaten by today's performance cars. Only a handful ever made it into the 13s in the 1/4 mile in off-the-showroom-floor configuration. Most were mid 14s to mid 15s.

Cheers
DD
Oh I know! I've driven a few old American cars, including a 1965 Mustang and a bloody enormous 1959 Cadillac DeVille. They were absolutely awful, and I loved them. Talk about grinning from ear to ear!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Oh I know! I've driven a few old American cars, including a 1965 Mustang and a bloody enormous 1959 Cadillac DeVille. They were absolutely awful, and I loved them. Talk about grinning from ear to ear!

Lots of grins, yes....and that '59 DeVille would be the epitome of an American "Land Yacht". :-)

Fortunately American cars have come a long, long way...gradually but surely... in the last 25 years or so. Many still believe that all American cars have poor road manners, brakes, etc. They're wrong :-)

There's still lots of fun and satisfaction in driving the old classics of the 60s, though.

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: 2013 Subaru Sti - Killed