S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Subaru Sti - Killed

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

A bit o/t, but I killed a Challenger on the way to work this morning. He was driving rather gingerly owing to the snowy conditions, but I went past him in my Audi. This will likely be the only time I can challenge a Challenger.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
A bit o/t, but I killed a Challenger on the way to work this morning. He was driving rather gingerly owing to the snowy conditions, but I went past him in my Audi. This will likely be the only time I can challenge a Challenger.
LOL! That is the only time the R350 is remotely quicker than anything else.....

Put ice and snow on the road and that Benz drives like there's nothing on the road.....

Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My longwinded first timer Post

Hi Gentlemen,

Although this is my first (massively long) post, i've been lurking on hereas well as some //AMG, //M, Lexus forums looking for my next car which is goingto be more luxurious, comfortable but yet still similiarly powered than mycurrent ride: Subaru STi. I’m currently looking at a 2006-2008 Jaguar XKRSupercharged.

Quickie on who/what I am:

IT (Computer) Guy with a Subaru STi and a Chevrolet Chevelle. Looking to buymy next car, which is going to be a luxury car intended to be driven 365 days ayear. (I also like to use parenthesis) I will race my STi (Autocross, HPDE,RallyCross) and therefore the Luxury car will be a daily driver.

I have not driven a Jaguar XKR.. ever.. but plan to when one gets closerthan 300 miles away

[Defense of Subaru STi] (skip if you don’t want to hear a fanboy get his 2cents out)

I can count on 1 hand the amount of cars that can produce the amount ofgrins, thrills, control, modability, value and yet drivability and utility forthe money that a Subaru STi can… …Stock (Evo, GT-R, 03-04 Cobra, E55 Amg, Z06 come to mind for a few of theseattributes but of course there are more out there)

If you add Mods, just like most any car it will lower the value but increasehorsepower, handling, looks, aero, etc if done properly.

For example, with less than 5,000$ invested (Exhaust, E85 Conversion,Intake, Good Tune, Good Tires/Wheels, Coil-overs, Swaybars) A Subaru STI can run 11.70 ¼ and pulls 1.1g+on slalom. Stock does around 13.3. It has roughly 370 whp (@5500 rpm), 400wtq (@3300rpm )in an ~3300 AWD body. I can drive it like a normal human being, or run the streets (just kidding, but doesn’tevery boy racer want to think that?)

The ferociousness of the launch is what makes Subarus so incredibly violent and fun , add the AWD and you don’t lose control, in fact it is completely aControlled Chaos kind of event. The issues with launching stem from people notunderstanding torque and how quickly to release the clutch. Very simply, youpush 1mm past the engagement point, rev to 5500 and on the upswing of revsrelease the clutch and as soon as it bites, lift as if you just stepped in somegum. This will net ~1.5 60 ft. times and do very little harm to the car if atall. Mess up and you’ll slip the clutch OR drop it like a hammer and you’llexplode the motor mounts (STi tranny is made of Titanium and Unobtainium so noproblem there). From a roll (vehicle already moving), the AWD is a hugedisadvantage and is simply added weight. Therefore: launching = requires lesshp than similiarly weight RWD vehicle, Rolling = Requires slightly more toequal out parasitic loss (~22-28%).

Therefore if you’re going to run against the Scooby (as it is affectionately known),be sure to do it at highway speeds and run over 80 mph (stock turbo loses breath85+)

I’ve driven a plethora of cars in my short time, and I’ve got to say thatthe Subaru is the best car to just grab by the scruff of the neck and toss likea dog toy. It’s value and relatively cheaper repairs means that even if you dobreak something (unlikely), you can probably fix it yourself (unless one offparts from Japan).

Side note- I’ve driven a Chrylser 300C SRT-8 and although they are greatcars- powerful, comfy and suprising handle fairly well (Mercedes Chassis Ibelieve?), It’s too heavy and thirsty for me to truly be violent with it,unless it’s a straight line, tires can really add up. You can add Camaros,Challengers, S class AMG and Pretty much All Audis in this group too. Ford (grrr) is now making balanced cars that are excellent, with lighter weight, goodpower and solid handling. The new Mustang GT is a fantastic car for its value,but severely lacking in Uniqueness and everyone has one (you have one and you don’t even know it).

Whew… You can see I’m slightly passionate about this =)..

I digress…

[The Chevelle Factor]

I also have a 1969 Chevelle SS (semi-clone) 396. I’ve added a picture toshow my two cars together. For those with hawk eyes, yes The Chevelle has a 350badge but it’s changed now as it has a 396 =).

In other words, I love usable Torque (bigblocks are usable when not throttle’s not punched, roll into the throttle), andSTi is all low end torque as well.

More importantly….

**I WILL POST THIS IN THE CORRECT FORUM EVENTUALLY, BUT SINCE IT IS RELATED TO THE OP'S THREAD IT'S GOING TO SIT HERE FOR A BIT**

[Why I want a Jaguar]

Image? Nope….

Power? Maybe….

Comfort? Yes….

Good Sporty Slushbox? Yes…

But most of all… Uniqueness and Soul.

I love looking at the Jaguar XKR and I appreciate the effort put into thesecars and can truly see the charisma in the designers and engineers. I feel Icould walk up and have an excellent conversation with him about Art, or have apassionate argument about politics, or just talk about the current state ofaffairs in the automotive world. These vehicles are truly amazing and I’d behappy to own one.

In other words….It. Checks. All. Boxes.

Since I am looking for a 2006 XKR, the prices seem to hover sub-30k and evensome with 80k miles are closer to 20k.

[Questions regarding reliability/power/misc of a 2006-2008 Jaguar XKR]

Here’s my questions (yes, I’ve searched but if you’ve read my malarkey sofar maybe you can provide a more tailored response to my questions. I want YOURopinion.)

This will be my 365 Daily driver, I will have no garage (for the new car) but I meticulously takecare of my cars as best I can.

-Do you honestly believe that these cars are reliable as a daily driver, tobe used 365 days a year (yes, even snow as I’m in the Midwest United States)

- How does this car do in the snow with snow tires?

-Is it sinful (ironic) to park these vehicles in the sun (I have no garage)and how does the paint/bodywork hold up to the solar exposure?

-Opinion… Vert or No?

-Can of Worms-Would you recommend power modifications such asTune/Pulley/Exhaust? If so, what companies?

-Have you driven a turboed rally rocket? If so, how would you compare thedifference in power delivery?

-Realistic Gas mileage and distance? i.e 24 mpg/240 miles per tank

-Hear to heart….If you were to do it again, do you regret not buying acertain year or make/model?

-Curiosity How much aftermarket support and/or just support In general (JagShops) is there in the United States? Do you feel like you have to travel 400miles for special maintenance (I’ll probably do 90% of it myself)

Thanks for reading this enormous post, as this has been brewing in me for awhile. Love it or hate it, I’d like to hear your two cents on my situation andlet me know what you think of my two lovely ladies.

-8th Sin.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Subaru Sti - Killed-chevelle_sti.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize for all of the formatting issues with my above post. I proofread it on my phone (terrible idea) and since I take pride in my keyboarding (or lack there of) skills, I just wanted to throw that out there. I also cannot seem to edit that post, so not sure that's because I recently created my account or what but anywho...

Have a good day gentlemen.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Ok, this is more the S-type subsection, but will have the same motor as the STRs.

I have pretty much daily driven my STR for over 3 years now, and it has never left my stranded.

-Coil packs tend to take a dump on you, but you can still drive it

-DCCV goes bad, but you can still drive it

-Coolant tank breaks on S-Types, but only when you start messing with it (usually to get to the DCCV, so buy one to replace anyways)

Other than that, my car has been reliable all day everyday

I do have some mods on my car, namely exhaust, intake tube, springs and wheels and it was a blast to drive (even though my wheels rub).

Right now I am on round 2 of mods, smaller pulley, bored TB, meth injection but I don't have the car back together yet as I haven't received my TB back.

If I was looking for an XKR to get, I would get a coupe as I think they look better but that is just me.

As for snow, it is possible, but depends on how much you get. To be honest, your Subie with All season tires would prob be better than a jag with snow tires!

Gas mileage I get is 13-15 city, 25-27 hwy

I have driven evo8s, STI frogeyes, and an RS6. All felt planted through twisties. I have never drive an xkr, but the str is pretty sporty. I'd still pick something awd vs a heavy rwd as they are more tossable, but don't take that as a jag isn't fun. They do feel lighter than you would think, but they don't rotate as well and don't expect to point and shoot.

I love my STR, I would like a s/c 5.0 xkr but that will have to wait a few years down the road, but I wouldn't change what I currently have.

As for tuners, Mina Gallery has some items, as does euro toys. Don't expect the same level of modding as your other two cars. Intake, exhaust, smaller pulley is pretty much it (unless you go twinscrew). I am not sure if the software works for your car, but I know in the S-type world it is vaporware from what it seems (plenty of people will sell you a tune for $1k, but no one backs up any gains from it).

To me what the Jaguar is best at is highway cruising and looking good on Saturday night. They have plenty of power to get out of their own way, and look great doing it. I still get people asking me what year my car is and then don't believe me that my car is 10 years old. The ride is firm, but not kidney jarring, unless you are like me and lower it, then put 20" wheels on it. Even then it is still more plush then my friend's RS6 that is completely stock. Sure there are plenty of cars that can beat it in a straight line, or around curves, but do those cars have the soul of a Jaguar?

The following users liked this post:
jimgoose (06-12-2014)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
To me what the Jaguar is best at is highway cruising and looking good on Saturday night... Sure there are plenty of cars that can beat it in a straight line, or around curves, but do those cars have the soul of a Jaguar?
Michael Star, thanks for putting my inner unspoken thoughts into words.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I've recently come back to the fold, with a vengeance. I had a 1988 XJR that I did nothing with but drive. I loved it, and only ever had to replace a coolant hose that exploded on me. I was lucky with that car. FFW to present. I have an '05 STR and I FRIGGING LOVE IT! Jaguar replaced the fuel tank with an XF tank to correct the fuel leak issue (my car is apparently the engineering platform for this hybrid fix), and I have the stupid evap leak code (which I'm slowly diagnosing). Other than that, the car is solid, runs like a banshee and I've killed a number of ricers and other Euro cars (E55 AMG - badly driven, because I don't think I should have taken him).

It seems like, daily, somebody wants to try and bite off a piece of me in my Jag. Hasn't happened yet STi, Boss 302, M3, Ford Lightning - they all were taken down as their drivers underestimated the go-fast potential of this car. I have a very long, straight, protected, never patrolled piece of highway between where I work and where I live. Yesterday, a fellow in an turbo-d Acura RSX decided to park it in the left lane. I followed until he moved over. Same deal, he moved over quick and as I started to pass, tried to drop the hammer on me. It was comical, actually... I just squeezed the throttle a little to see how serious he was, and that's when I heard the turbo plumbing doing its thing. Empty highway, no cops (like - none. ever.), why not? I dropped the hammer on him and once I got a couple hundred feet out in front of him, flashed my rear foglamps I hung out at 130mph for a little while to see if he could/would actually catch up. Nothing, so I backed down to 100, and he finally showed up. Pacing him in the left lane, it was trivial to just squeeze throttle on and pass him.

The car is so amazingly docile and - civilized - around town, looks fantastic with a fresh coat of wax and polished wheels, and will lay down the law when foolish kids in their ricers poke the cat with a stick. I have a Mina Gallery intake coming for it, so we'll see how that goes

Cheers,

Ken

Old 06-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never get hot ricer and eurotrash vehicles dicing me in my STR , most people think the Jag is "an old mans car" and don't bite....

In my vettes or Camaro - not the same , every pimply faced hormonally challenged youth wants a part of me...

When choosing my STR I also looked at various Mercs , I fancied the S500 or S600 , but if you think Jag repairs are pricey - these cars are in a league of their own with their complex systems.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Sure there are plenty of cars that can beat it in a straight line, or around curves, but do those cars have the soul of a Jaguar?
Sadly, the S-type (aka Lincoln in a party dress) doesn't have the soul of a real Jaguar, either.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>Sadly, the S-type (aka Lincoln in a party dress) doesn't have the soul of a real Jaguar, either.

I'm sorry, but what exactly does that mean? The S-Type was developed by Jaguar and shared with Lincoln, not the other way around like the X-Type. It has a Jaguar developed engine that was only used in the cars Jaguar "lent" to Ford (i.e., LS and T-Bird).

Sure it originally had a FoMoCo transmission but that was corrected soon enough.

Does an XF or a new XJ have the soul of a Jaguar (they were both developed while FoMoCo had oversight)?
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 AM

AJ8 was/is also used by Landrover and Aston Martin.

The S-type is based on the Ford DEW98 platform and whilst I know the "risks" involved with using Wikipedia as a source of information, it is claimed that the platform debuted with the LS, although I reckon that the S-type did come first (or at least so close as to be unimportant).
Ford DEW platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, regardless of all that, the S-type has neither the class nor soul of more traditional Jaguars (such as the XJ6) and I certainly will not be buying another when I've sold this one. In terms of the quality of the fixtures and fittings it is definitely a long way behind the X300 and XJ40 and the feel of the car as a whole is more one of an upmarket Ford rather than the middle of the Jaguar range.

Last edited by Richard Moss; 06-12-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

To be fair, you've got the original variant that Jaguar wanted much improved and then did improve for the 2002.5MY. They hugely improved suspension, interior and so on at that time (and in came the 4.2 and STR).

Seems to me the S-Type was made from 1998 and LS from 1999. The LS didn't get the new suspension or the 4.2 or R. Also didn't get the much better ZF transmission.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I got into it with a Camaro SS last night on my way home! Pulled away from him every time till I hit the damn fuel cut at 125mph. Then he walked right away.... So frustrating how some of these cars have a 125 governer and some are at 150. How can you bypass this?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Pay a tuner? Use the UK tune, maybe via a Mongoose JLR?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Pay a tuner? Use the UK tune, maybe via a Mongoose JLR?
Not sure what this mongoose thing is?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

google is your friend
or search on here