S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 3.0 and 4.0 oem catalytic converters interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JagV8,
Thanks for the diagnostics. I don't think my scanner can graph the o2 sensors, but here it is if you wanna look it up, Innova 3100 a. The website is canobd2.com

Yeah, I haven't looked at the lower breather elbow yet, but I am wanting to replace both the lower and upper elbows. Just in case but I have to look at them first.

Fuel system 2, yeah I don't know anything about that or the EGR for that matter. I will look into both of them for sure.

But yes, I did reset my codes because I had re tightened the cats just to be sure so I cleared them to see if they would stay away, but they came back. Can't tell you the distance but I know it hasn't been long since I don't drive the car often but it was about 2 weeks ago.

As far as the o2 sensors, I only changed the 2 on the passenger (bank 1) side. When this whole thing started, it was just giving me a P0420 code, several maybe 6 months later the P0430 code will come up every once in a while. Now they both come up at around the same time. I should of tested my o2 sensors first but I didn't so you're definitely on to something with reading the o2 sensor graphs. The replacement o2 sensors I used was the BOSCH. You can get them at Checker or Autozone of here. Can't remember the exact part number but I did read something about getting the RIGHT o2 sensors because it could throw faulty codes. Don't know how true that is.

What about the EVAP system? Is is saying that it's not complete because the drive cycles aren't completed? Are all drive cycles different for each monitor? For example, my P0420/430 code came up after a short distance/time of driving which means 1 or 2 drive cycles were completed for that monitor, so would it have been completed for the EVAP system or EGR monitor?

Hey BugDoc
Thanks for chiming in. Well my 00 S Type has 2 sensor ports, one at the top of the cat and one just after the cat, none in the middle. Is your 02 S-Type the newer model style? I know they switched styles in the middle of 02 can't remember up to what vin number but if you search around you can tell. Or just look at your center console. Does it have the radio to the left side and a pocket or navigation screen to the right or do you have the radio/nav screen smack dab in the middle? This would help me to know if any 02.5-04 s type cats are compatible with the 00-02 s type cats.

Too bad you can't remember that parts place. I've been looking though.

As far as the universal cats go, yeah the weld job has to be tight so there would be no leaks. But as far as the oversize, I'm not sure that it would be a good idea since it has to be tuned to the vehicles specs. That's the whole purpose for me asking the question which started this thread, are the 3.0 cats compatible with the 4.0 cats. I know they look the same but someone said the internals were different on both and that they might throw codes because the 4.0 is not in spec with the 3.0's. I think JagV8 stated that. But that's the same thing I assumed, bigger would be better. But I heard of people using universal cats and having to change them again because the check engine light kept coming on. I guess it's a matter of being tuned to the cars spec. The computer might see something wrong and flag it. But I'm not sure.

Yes the lower breather is what I was talking about. But where did you get that brass T for the air line to the valve covers? I hate those plastic lines, they get so brittle and break easily. Is it just the T that's brass or the entire T line (intake line and valve cover lines)? If so, would you mind telling me where you got them?

The o2 graph info would be a great new thread. It gives another piece of info into figuring out ways to solve our cars problems. Good idea.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,518 Likes on 3,929 Posts

I grabbed its manual and it appears not to be able to graph live data

I didn't notice the EVAP status. Oh dear.

You can read about your car's monitors and their tests, plus detailed drive cycle info if you get JTIS. You should be able to figure out EGR from there, too.

I'd do the elbows and other things raised previously as they're fairly simple and reasonably cheap, whereas cats are not.

Bosch make many kinds of O2 sensors. It's vital to use the right kind upstream and the other right kind downstream.

As far as I know, even the earlier cars used wide range sensors upstream and the other type downstream.

I know my car has Fuel Status 1 and 2 and that both should usually be CL (closed loop). I don't know about the earlier cars, which I think use a PCM made by PTECH, but again JTIS may well make it clear. It's cheap but you'd need to spend time on it.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I got the JTIS manual. I'll be looking on it thoroughly now to make see whats the deal.

What's wrong with the EVAP?

And as far as the o2 sensors go, I got the one that was stated for upstream/downstream. Plus the wire lengths correspond to the sensor position. One is longer than the other.

But I'll be checking through the JTIS manual to see whats up.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

There may be an enabling condition which has not occurred and so the EVAP can't complete. Details are in jtis (in pdf files as I recall).

Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question o2 codes check engine light on plz help!?? :0

Originally Posted by JagV8
I grabbed its manual and it appears not to be able to graph live data

I didn't notice the EVAP status. Oh dear.

You can read about your car's monitors and their tests, plus detailed drive cycle info if you get JTIS. You should be able to figure out EGR from there, too.

I'd do the elbows and other things raised previously as they're fairly simple and reasonably cheap, whereas cats are not.

Bosch make many kinds of O2 sensors. It's vital to use the right kind upstream and the other right kind downstream.

As far as I know, even the earlier cars used wide range sensors upstream and the other type downstream.

I know my car has Fuel Status 1 and 2 and that both should usually be CL (closed loop). I don't know about the earlier cars, which I think use a PCM made by PTECH, but again JTIS may well make it clear. It's cheap but you'd need to spend time on it.

Hello My Name Is Vinny, I have a 00' Jag S-Type 4.0 V8,
And I actually just purchased this jag. It run great like brand new. Its been pretty much rebuilt I believe is what the last owner told me. He did it,He's a mechanic for chevy. Anyways I noticed I have a small oil leak so I took it to my uncle (who is also a part time mech) and he told me it was the valve cover gasket(r side). Said not to big a deal quick easy fix but I was freaking out because it would/will smoke sometimes. And this is my 2nd s type by the way I have horrible luck with em so far hence freaking out. Anyways were fixing tht this weekend, but the other day my check engine light came on, my uncle checked rite away and said its o2 or watever basically the (cat converter) so he told me a bit about tht and cleared it. said if cones on proly a sensor or the cat. But Ive been seeing other ppl saying a lot of other things on here to along with what he's said. So my question is should I be checking to see if its something more simple first b4 doing the cat and sensors?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 AM

Hey also forgot to mention it just came back on today the check engine light tht is. it was only about 4 days we cleared it Fri and it came on today and I hadnt really drivin but when I do I drive pretty slow like speed limit or a lil below lol sometime a little gas just to feel er go Naw Mean!!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 AM

And the check engine light came back on today it was about 3-4 days it stayed off we cleared it on fri .

Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

I think it would be wise to post the actual code(s).

In case oil is getting in the plug wells it can cause the coils to malfunction and even damage them. In both cases they cause misfires that can damage the cats. So, test coils, fix any oil leaks and post some codes please.

Smoke is probably just oil burning off and not damaging but will stop when the leak is fixed.

The following users liked this post:
BossVinny (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM

yeah I know it would be best to post the codes but I dnt know them but thanks. and thanks for the tips I tried last nite to do tht info but it was late and it wasn't working,llag

You wouldn't happen to know how to solve an issue with my car not having any bass in the speakers would you?