S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 lb. pulley install problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts
Default 3 lb. pulley install problems

Any body else ever have the eurotoys pulley installer bolt snap in half with the pulley half way on? When trying to take the original pulley off the bolt head would just mushroom. Then the nut that was welded on the end broke the weld off. After I was able to get the tool back out I tried to use it again to install the pulley and the bolt snapped in half right at the stress nut. I was able to finally get the pulley on with other means, but I was just wondering if I'm the only one who has had this happen. I will get some pictures tomorrow.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally, I rented the Eurotoys puller along with 3 lb pulley, then chose to give the job to the mechanic. He cut off the stock pulley then chased on the new pulley with the bolt. Sorry it was such a farce for you to get it on. Now...does she have more stump pulling torque or what?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Originally, I rented the Eurotoys puller along with 3 lb pulley, then chose to give the job to the mechanic. He cut off the stock pulley then chased on the new pulley with the bolt. Sorry it was such a farce for you to get it on. Now...does she have more stump pulling torque or what?
I would've given it to my mechanic, but unfortunately that's myself as well . It was all worth it in the end, though . A couple of big smokey burnouts later and all the trouble was forgotten . The low and particularly mid-range power band is greatly improved. If I did it again, however, I would pull the whole supercharger out and send it out to get ported and let them do the pulley install at the same time.

Last edited by QuartzSTypeR; 01-26-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

LOL! Got to luv those burnouts. Ditto on the porting-pulley install. Did you order the air intake tube? Hi-flow cats and Magnaflow Tru-X center resonator/muffler? With these the throttle response, torque, and hp are amazing.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 PM

LOL! Got to luv those burnouts. Ditto on the porting-pulley install. Did you order the air intake tube? Hi-flow cats and Magnaflow Tru-X center resonator/muffler? With these the throttle response, torque, and hp are amazing.
A shop was supposedly building my intake tube, but they won't return my calls. They were going to do my exhaust work as well, but with the time and lack of communication from them, I am going to source another shop for that work. Is there a reason you are going back to the 2.25" piping? I was considering going to the 2.5" setup. The local drag strip opens up on the 25th, so I'm trying to get it done soon.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I used the same make of puller they rent without issues. Could be the thing is really old or maybe your pulley shaft was slightly tighter then others? I just pulled the stocker off my spare blower and it comes off really easy with a blower not in the car!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by qikcat
I used the same make of puller they rent without issues. Could be the thing is really old or maybe your pulley shaft was slightly tighter then others? I just pulled the stocker off my spare blower and it comes off really easy with a blower not in the car!
It was a total nightmare to yank off the pulley. Even after cutting it all the way through at one part, it still wouldn't budge until I cut more off. I used a micrometer to measure the shaft and new pulley, and the inside of the pulley was .77" and the shaft was .80" so it is definitely a squeeze to say the least. After talking it over with eurotoys, I think some of the blame is definitely on me as I think I misused the tool during the removal process. My question about the install tool though is this: Is the nut on the end of the bolt welded there, or is it just capped? I am used to regular pulley pullers and installers where the end nut is part of the bolt and is used to hold the bolt in place while the other bolt forces the install piece on.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Go with qwiketz's intake tube and maintain the stock 2.25" diameter pipes due to a drop off in torque with 2.5" pipe.

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Go with qwiketz's intake tube and maintain the stock 2.25" diameter pipes due to a drop off in torque with 2.5" pipe.
Great to see people sticking with the 2.25" piping as I have been maintainig since I stayed with the stock piping with the complete exhaust overhaul

Old 04-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
Great to see people sticking with the 2.25" piping as I have been maintainig since I stayed with the stock piping with the complete exhaust overhaul
Where is the video?????????

Old 04-18-2012, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rasputin
Where is the video?????????

Lolz video? I wish if I had time would do. If you do a search of my old threads I have pics up of the setup. That's the best I can do for now.
Cheers!!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
It was a total nightmare to yank off the pulley. Even after cutting it all the way through at one part, it still wouldn't budge until I cut more off. I used a micrometer to measure the shaft and new pulley, and the inside of the pulley was .77" and the shaft was .80" so it is definitely a squeeze to say the least. After talking it over with eurotoys, I think some of the blame is definitely on me as I think I misused the tool during the removal process. My question about the install tool though is this: Is the nut on the end of the bolt welded there, or is it just capped? I am used to regular pulley pullers and installers where the end nut is part of the bolt and is used to hold the bolt in place while the other bolt forces the install piece on.
Mine is all one peice. There is a chance his has been mucked up a few times by other renters and who knows what it's got?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM

Yeah, mine started out as one piece, I just wasn't 100% sure that the nut welded on the end wasn't just capped, or if it were a part of the bolt. I don't see how it would work if it wasn't part of the bolt, and it came off and left me in a bit of a bind. Eurotoys has been very helpful and has had great customer service so far.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

The puller I purchased failed due to a weld failure (see pics). I was sent a replacement UPS next day. Below are a some emails...

Mike,

Received! I appreciate your quick response to the weld failure!

The new welded nut and threaded rod worked perfectly. It took less than two minutes and I was able to press the small pulley on the rest of the way.

Sincerely,
Bryan

sales@eurotoysltd.com
Jun 20

to me
Hi Bryan,

I am glad that you finished it. I will re-write the tool instructions to be more specific, have been meaning to do that for awhile now. I contacted the tool maker and they said they have had 3 break in 10 years, and 2 has been in the last month. They changed who welded them, go figure.

Mike
Eurotoys Ltd.
847-464-4000

Attached Thumbnails 3 lb. pulley install problems-weldfailure1.jpg   3 lb. pulley install problems-weldfailure2.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Is this the puller you used??

Attached Thumbnails 3 lb. pulley install problems-super-charger-pulley-removal-tool.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1320racer
The puller I purchased failed due to a weld failure (see pics). I was sent a replacement UPS next day. Below are a some emails...

Mike,

Received! I appreciate your quick response to the weld failure!

The new welded nut and threaded rod worked perfectly. It took less than two minutes and I was able to press the small pulley on the rest of the way.

Sincerely,
Bryan

sales@eurotoysltd.com
Jun 20

to me
Hi Bryan,

I am glad that you finished it. I will re-write the tool instructions to be more specific, have been meaning to do that for awhile now. I contacted the tool maker and they said they have had 3 break in 10 years, and 2 has been in the last month. They changed who welded them, go figure.

Mike
Eurotoys Ltd.
847-464-4000

That's the same way mine broke. Thanks for bumping the thread, I forgot to send my puller back and this reminded me.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Is this the puller you used??

Yep, that looks like the one.