S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 Manual transmition conversion is there a kit? Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
I don't know where the law is now over there but at one point it was suggested (or stated) that all PCM software changes would/should be prevented (stopped/etc) - except for those provided by the maker - in an attempt to prevent emissions. Further, that the actual PCM software version (called a "calibration") would be checked during I/M and vehicle failed if incorrect or any tampering found.

Obviously if that happens / happened it would prevent all tuning via the PCM.

There would be a start year and it would only apply to vehicles of that and later years, I believe.

I guess this would be EPA (and/or CARB). May be worth hunting to see whether this is what's happened.
Well, since you asked... LOL

Rumor has it (no one at Chrysler will own up to it) that they did it to try and cut down on warranty claims.

See, obviously, if you break something and bring it in because it is still under warranty and there is an altered PCM they don't have to fix it. But...With the way that the PCM worked, at least in the Chrysler, you just simply plug in the tune tool and do a factory reset. This loads all the factory tuning back into the car (I know, I have one..).

What has the "Mopar" community all pissed is that they can simply test or inspect a failed part and determine if it was faulty or damaged by abuse. So by thinking they're saving money, they are alienating a portion of their fan base. Not good if you ask me..

The emissions rules haven't changed... Actually funny story there as well... Early versions of the Diablosport tuner that I have had a provision to bypass the EGR valve. It would actually mask the fact that it was gone... Many people would go through emission tests then post up the print out showing the EGR reading...All the while the EGR valve was sitting in their closet..... I think the tuner company got some flack over that since that feature is no longer part of their programming.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Let's hope this doesn't catch on. Though if it does I suppose guys wanting to tune will either apply a piggyback or a whole different PCM. And revert to factory for I/M or if something blows up.