S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 v8 Timing rattle questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.0 v8 Timing rattle questions

Alright, i apologize in advance for bringing the subject to the boards but before i get my hands dirty i need some questions answered.
ok i just bought a 01 s type with the 4.0 v8 with 76k on it for 4500. When i first got it, it had a check engine light on and the code ran for a list of things. (insufficient oil level, low oil pressure, poor oil quality, secondary cam timing chain, timing chain) and (4-engine oil, engine oil filter, 3-engine, 1-engine oil, 1-secondary timing chain tensioner, timing chain).

So sense the car had 3k miles put on it in 2 years... i figured a oil change and filter would solve the issue so i did so.

The code was wiped off and it didnt come back, for awhile.

Drove her for 2 days, running great, then the light came back. This time for a bad cat. so i guess the issue was the poor old oil.

Now that the problem scared me, i did some researching and found the common timing chain rattle and plastic tensioners.

The car Does rattle on start up, nothing obnoxious. actually you cant even hear it without the hood open.

Now my question is, if i replace the Secondary tensioners on both sides of the motor, will this solve my timing issues to come in the future? or will i need to replace primary tensioners and guides to solve it.

I dont want to throw money into this car, i have 3 cars right now and one is already my money pit.

I think i can handle the sencondary tensioner replacement myself but if its gonna get deeper than that i may just sell her for what i bought her for.

In my research i found this link ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nsioners-4747/ ) to a diy replacement job. This is the same 4.0 that is in the s type correct?

I see there is timing tools required to perform the job correct. Anyone have a recommendations to where i should buy the tools/kit? maybe someone knows a member on here with the tools for sale that they could link me with.

Also as for parts, Any websites with the correct parts (tensioners,new bolts,gaskets) would be appreciated. i know rock auto is a usual but i want to double check.

I am Brand new to the jaguar community and it seems like a bit a challenge to site good information and parts websites.

Thank you so much for the help.

Again this is a 2001 s type with the 4.0 v8 and 76k on it.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Yes, you can do the secondaries yourself - read up on JTIS and yes, you will need the tools to get the job done correctly. The secondary tensioners are relatively easy to get to but keep in mind - the primary tensioners and guide rails succumb to the same woes as the secondary tensioners.

At your mileage - it might be best to consider getting both sets of tensioners and guide rails changed - but of course, if your on a budget... it's understandable.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM

Is there a common milage that the others start to fail? as far as i know the primary is metal so i dont see how it can break like the secondary. To put it in easy words, after i replace the secondarys is it hard to see 150k without big issues? i can maintain and baby a care for its whole time in my hands

Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Personally, these tensioners were doomed from the womb - they were poorly constructed - they went through 3 generation revisions before getting it right (metal tensioners) - another factor is how well the car was maintained... kind of...

I don't believe the primary tensioners (originals) were metal....

Basically, these tensioners start to show wear and fail right around your mileage... the first sign is the "rattle" upon start up.

Best to address it cause if the tensioners (even one) fails - could spell the end of your 4.0 engine...

About babying the car after changing the secondaries - no guarantees.... cause the rest of the timing components (primary/rails) have the same plastic as the secondaries...

Last edited by abonano; 02-25-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 PM

This is starting to look like a full timing job than.. def not what im looking to do. At this point im leaning toward selling the ticking time bomb. Sad part is i love this car.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 PM

well sense i already have this thread open, im looking into trading for a higher mile 3.0 v6 s type. is there any of these type of heart ache problems with the v6 s type?

Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You bought an 01 plate V8 for 4500, you could get one here in the UK for $1500, the price of fuel kills the value.
Tensioners. The early plastic ones are poor , that said I have seen cars on 200K miles with original tensioners and cars on 50K with a snapped chain. You will have the second generation plastic tensioners that have a spring to cope on start up so no rattling even when the tensioner is failing. You best bet is to take a look at them and see if they are cracking (almost certainly). You can just swap the secondaries without tools using stout cable ties and locking the chains in position. This is probably your best bet and gives you a good chance of making big mileages without issue. That said the primaries are plastic and the worst engine damage is usually caused by a combination of weak secondaries and the guides falling apart ! From the 4.2 (02) they fitted metal tensioners and better Morse chains etc.
Most of the cars I have heard of with failed tensioners have not destroyed the engine.... the gamble is yours.