S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 Cam Phasers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.2 Cam Phasers

New to Jags although I've always wanted one. I have a 2005 S Type 4.2 NA with ~100k miles. It has a very pronounced rattle on a cold start. It only does it on a cold start. If it's been running in the last couple of hours, it starts as smoothly as a new Honda. I thought it might be the VVT solenoid, but a Jag mechanic told me he thought it was more likely a bad cam phaser. He said there's a pin that locks the position of the phaser when the oil pressure bleeds off. I haven't found.many options for cam phasers for this engine. I'd welcome thoughts and advice. This is my first Jag but hopefully not my last.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:31 AM
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,813 Posts

It would be helpful to know the number of kilometres/miles on the vehicle, and its service history.

Has any work been done to the engine lately?

Are there any DTCs stored in the system, and if so, what are they?

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Yes if you have that problem you should have VVT error codes?

Old 01-30-2024, 11:59 AM

It has 100,000 miles currently. There was only one code, P0456 I think, for a small evaporative leak. I cleared it but it predictably came back. Maintenance? I don't know. I just purchased the car. It came with no service records. The fluids were all topped up and the oil looks clean. However, given all the small issues it has, I suspect maintenance wasn't at the top of the previous owner's priorities. I would check the codes again but my code reader is in the trunk of my Honda which is currently in the shop. I think there's some irony there...reliable Honda is in the shop and I'm driving the quirky British car every day...lol.
I have not checked oil pressure with a gauge yet but I don't think this is a crankshaft issue. I'm new to Jags but have worked on cars my whole life. If the car is warm, it starts quietly. If it's cold, there's a very defined tap, tap, tap that lasts 3-5 seconds and goes away. It idles quietly except for a very small valvetrain tick that you almost have to have the hood open to hear. I've read that some oil additives may have a positive effect on the VVT system. I've also read that going to a higher viscosity oil might help. I think I'll get that info backed up by other more experienced Jag owners before I try any of it.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:23 PM

The X200 is as reliable as any other marque, including the Germans and Japanese, if maintained properly.

Use an OEM quality oil filter such as Jaguar, Knecht, Mann, etc. when changing the engine oil. Using a quality oil filter may reduce or eliminate the clattering during cold starts. If the noise is pronounced, remove the cam covers and inspect the primary and secondary timing chains, guides and tensioners for cracking or missing pieces. The AJ33/AJ34 did not have the timing chain issues of the AJ28, but I have seen broken secondary tensioners on the AJ33/AJ34.

DO NOT use additives or a higher viscosity engine oil as they can cause issues with the VVT units.

joycesjag (01-31-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 02:19 PM

Thanks. I suspected that the additives and/or higher visc oil might cause more issues than it solved. I'll pull those cam covers and see if there's anything going on there that shouldn't be. It's probably about ready for new gaskets at 100k miles anyway. Do you have any suggestions as to where one might source the filters you mentioned? About all you can get off the shelf around here is Wix.

Old 01-31-2024, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...t-variants.pdf

SSM from way back in the day. it's annoying but i've never heard one actually come apart even at 300k+

Last edited by xalty; 01-31-2024 at 12:21 AM.
Loganj (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Loganj
...Do you have any suggestions as to where one might source the filters you mentioned?...
Here is a listing from SNG Barratt, one of the forum sponsors:

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...20Id%203117089)

Loganj (01-31-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 08:52 AM

Once I got my good code reader, I found a stack of codes. One of them was C1397 which is an open circuit, bank 2, VVT solenoid. If the VVT solenoid on that side wasn't working at all, would I get a cold start rattle on that side? I'm still going to pull the cam covers and check timing chain tensioners. Also, would a non functioning solenoid eventually cause damage to the VVT cam sprocket?

Old 02-03-2024, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 562 Likes on 423 Posts

Nothing wrong with wix. They are as good or better than most. Been using them for years both at work and home. Was a heavy duty diesel mech for years. Nothing but wix or baldwin used. Nothing harder on engine oil than a detroit diesel v12 with a blower and turbo. I get my jaguar wix at oreillys in the extended life one. Compare the filter media on different filters. I also have used mann and like them too. Check rockauto and you can compare specs on them all

Old 02-03-2024, 06:28 PM

I ordered some Mann filters but I've used Wix all my life. Never had a problem with them. But, I also never had a problem with any other brand of filters either. This is my daughter's first car, and I need it to be right when I turn it over to her. It's the coolest car I've ever driven except for maybe the 1980 TransAm I had in high school.

Old 06-26-2024, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam phaser (VVT) interchange on 4.2 engine

Originally Posted by Loganj
I haven't found.many options for cam phasers for this engine. I'd welcome thoughts

I’ve been wondering if an Intake cam phaser from a Lincoln 3.9 LS would work in the Jaguar and the Range Rover 4.2 engines? Pictures of the Jaguar, Range Rover and the Lincoln cam phasers look identical. Aftermarket timing chain kits list they will work in the 3 engines. Has anyone tried this? Dorman list a replacement cam phaser for the Lincoln LS for ~$150. This would be a much lower cost option if it will work?

Old 06-26-2024, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

You're not likely to need a timing chain for the 4.2 until stellar mileage - how many miles has your car done?

Old 06-26-2024, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
You're not likely to need a timing chain for the 4.2 until stellar mileage - how many miles has your car done?

I have a s type R with 160k miles and. A 2008 Range Rover 4.2 SC with 200k miles. They both have the startup rattle when sitting overnight. The timing chains are probably fine as one the engines start, rattle for a few seconds they both run perfect and very quiet. The common fix for this is replacement of the cam phasers. Looking for some other option than the $700 each option from jaguar or rover.

Old 06-27-2024, 10:34 AM
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Volleyman
I have a s type R with 160k miles and. A 2008 Range Rover 4.2 SC with 200k miles. They both have the startup rattle when sitting overnight. The timing chains are probably fine as one the engines start, rattle for a few seconds they both run perfect and very quiet. The common fix for this is replacement of the cam phasers. Looking for some other option than the $700 each option from jaguar or rover.
Are you looking to replace because you can't stand the rattle, or because you think they'll eventually fail? If you can tolerate the rattle on startup, then you'll likely never need to worry about cam gear failure. I have an XJR at 152k and a 4.4 LR3 at 244k that both have the same VVT rattle with no other issues, and I've never seen any reports of cam gear failure due to this issue.

A possible alternative solution is to install an engine pre-oiling pump (like an Accusump) to build engine oil pressure before cranking, thus avoiding the VVT gear rattle from lack of initial oil pressure.

Old 06-27-2024, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by VR6Rado
Are you looking to replace because you can't stand the rattle, or because you think they'll eventually fail? If you can tolerate the rattle on startup, then you'll likely never need to worry about cam gear failure. I have an XJR at 152k and a 4.4 LR3 at 244k that both have the same VVT rattle with no other issues, and I've never seen any reports of cam gear failure due to this issue.

A possible alternative solution is to install an engine pre-oiling pump (like an Accusump) to build engine oil pressure before cranking, thus avoiding the VVT gear rattle from lack of initial oil pressure.
mostly the annoying noise on startup. I can avoid the startup noise by holding the foot feet down (cutting off the fuel injectors ) while first starting the engine, building up oil pressure. Once the oil pressure light flickers out, release the foot feet and the vehicle with then start with no rattle. This would probably cause premature starter failure if done on every cold startup. If the Lincoln LS phasers are interchangeable, I could find some used ones off a low mileage engine at a local junk yard. Has anyone repaired a cam phaser, by machining new internal parts?

Last edited by Volleyman; 06-27-2024 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 06-27-2024, 12:34 PM
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Volleyman
mostly the annoying noise on startup. I can avoid the startup noise by holding the foot feet down (cutting off the fuel injectors ) while first starting the engine, building up oil pressure. Once the oil pressure light flickers out, release the foot feet and the vehicle with then start with no rattle. This would probably cause premature starter failure if done on every cold startup. If the Lincoln LS phasers are interchangeable, I could find some used ones off a low mileage engine at a local junk yard. Has anyone repaired a cam phaser, by machining new internal parts?
I assume you've seen this thread already: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rattle-173044/ That guy has some videos taking a deep dive into the issue, maybe he's got some additional helpful info.

I did a quick check online and pulled the Dorman part # for the Lincoln LS cam phasers: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...er/doe0/998009

I also found a listing with good pictures of the cam phasers from an X350 4.2 XJ: https://www.ebay.com/itm/27570068291...RoCxtMQAvD_BwE

They look very similar, if not identical, at least in the pictures.

I would say the best way to 100% verify interchangeably would be to get sprockets from a salvage V8 NA 4.2 Jag and a V8 LS and compare them side-by-side with a caliper.

Old 07-04-2024, 05:15 PM
Default 2004 ford 3.9 t-bird engine

I would say the best way to 100% verify interchangeably would be to get sprockets from a salvage V8 NA 4.2 Jag and a V8 LS and compare them side-by-side with a caliper.[/QUOTE]

I found a smashed 2004 ford t-bird in a junk yard. It appears to have very low mileage. The inside of the engine look new and there was no wear on the valve train. The timing chain guides had no wear and no parts missing. They were brown in color so they may have hardened with age. I removed all the timing components with the exception of the cams. I plan to compare the components with the ones on my s type R and the Range Rover 4.2 SC. The cam phasers look identical to the Dorman replacement.