S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2l na to 4.2l supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015 | 12:29 PM
|

Originally Posted by NBCat
Despite what you may feel about the willingness of forum members to help, the facts are that there are several important areas to bear in mind when considering taking on a project such as adding a supercharger to a normally-aspirated engine.

Cost aside, there are important engineering differences internally for an engine that is designed to produce increased horsepower and torque by means of a supercharger or turbocharger. Those could be different pistons, rings, connecting rods and perhaps even the crankshaft, all designed to withstand increased stresses. The engine block may also have additional casting lands for rigidity or increased coolant jacket size or added lubrication jets to dissipate heat from the pistons and cylinder walls. In addition, there may also be a difference in the compression ratio to ensure operating temperatures remain within a range that is possible given the type of fuel available for a vehicle driven on the street.

The differences go further beyond the engine to the braking and suspension systems to cope with the increased performance possibilities of the supercharger. Higher volume fuel injectors and a different PCM may be required to increase fuel pressure and flow as well as monitor the gearbox shift points.

Looking at the advice you have been given so far, it is surprising you do not simply find an STR and enjoy driving it.

I guess you didn't bother even reading my post.. I have a crashed STR, engine trans suspension and brake system will be transferred. Fuel System and PCM and everything needed as well. I'm keeping the crashed STR until the project is complete.

Old 02-24-2015 | 12:37 PM
|

It isn't the first time I seek assistance on here. At one point I thought I had blown head gaskets on my N/A S type. I ended up figuring out on my own after quite some time that my trans cooler was damaged inside the radiator and therefore my trans fluid which is similar in color as engine oil was mixing with my coolant. The only thing I have found helpful on here so far was quite some time ago when I found the fix for "drooping lights" when the self adjuster or leveler is bad

Old 02-24-2015 | 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 03Jag4.2Stype
i don't have a huge pile of money but i do have complete str that was wrecked. I am transferring the brakes and everything else as needed. I was just trying to get some insight or tips of what i will run into. Any help is greatly appreciated. I understand it is cheaper to sell my regular s type but i wouldn't get anything for it since it has a blown engine and i don't have the money to go out and spend 8-10k on another car
I did read this post further down in the thread. As I and others have said, this is an enormous project and prior to setting out, there are many things to study, especially the electrical system and other engineering differences between the two models. Merely swapping over components may or may not work.

Please post photos as you move through the project so it can be a useful thread for anyone else embarking on this type of job.

Old 02-24-2015 | 01:43 PM

It isn't the first time I seek assistance on here. At one point I thought I had blown head gaskets on my N/A S type. I ended up figuring out on my own after quite some time that my trans cooler was damaged inside the radiator and therefore my trans fluid which is similar in color as engine oil was mixing with my coolant. The only thing I have found helpful on here so far was quite some time ago when I found the fix for "drooping lights" when the self adjuster or leveler is bad
Sorry to hear that you don't find the forum helpful, we try, I noticed that you never updated your thread about oil in the water with the solution, that might have been helpful for others.
I doubt you will get much first hand advice on your project as I don't believe anyone here has done it, but good luck and keep us posted.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
joycesjag (02-24-2015), NBCat (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015 | 02:27 PM
|

I just don't get the sense of this being an automotive community sometimes. there seems to be a lot of self centered people. I have been on other forums and it just seems very different. people joke around and that is fine, I don't mind that from time to time. It just seems repetitive sometimes with the same reply that does not answer anything in general. it would be nice to help each other out. hopefully this forum will improve

The following users liked this post:
Mclovin22 (05-17-2023)
Old 02-24-2015 | 02:40 PM

Hopefully.

With the risk of sounding repetitive you are sailing uncharted waters so I'm not sure what more advise you expect.
Post up any snags you hit as you progress with your project and I'm sure people will have suggestions.

NBCat (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015 | 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

You are a glutton for punishment. But from my perspective the swap can be done. I assume that your 4.2 donor car is at least the same model year, hopefully as sports model or newer.

Things you will need to verify before starting to make life a little easier.
1. Same rear end gear ratio.
2. Depending on if your STR has brembos or the newer single caliper rear brakes you may have to swap out the complete rear end assembly. STRs with Brembos have separate parking brake, actuator cables and how the e-brakes work could be different. (electric, versus manual.)
3. All STRs have CATs. Different shocks and associated harness and control module in the trunk.
4. STRs may have a different ABS control unit programming to handle the Brembos. This will tie into the Body control module programming.
5. While you are at it look JTIS to see if the STR body harness might be significantly different.
4. Body reinforcing is probably different. STRs have a stiffening panel incorporated behind the seats to reduce body flex. The rear sub frame mounts are also beefed up a bit to handle the increase HP of the STR.
5. When you swap in the STR engine and trans, you'll have to use all the associated STR engine and trans harnesses. These tie into the body and dashboard harnesses. Guess what, the speedometer cluster will be calibrated differently so you will need to swap al least the instrument cluster.
6. You will need to change alll the radiators, and associated hoses. Radiator, trans cooler, STR aux pump and lines. Air intake box....

These are the major items off the top of my head.

Probably a 70% car rebuild. Could be worse.

Plan an extra $500 to $1K on all the old plastic parts and lines that shatter as you take the cars apart.

Go for it! but time wise, I recommend you scrap your NA 4.2 and purchase an STR with a blown motor or high mileage. Much easier time and money overall.

The following 5 users liked this post by Tijoe:
abonano (02-24-2015), elDariusVargas (05-14-2023), joycesjag (02-24-2015), NBCat (02-24-2015), Norri (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015 | 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Really pay attention to his remark about the cost of broken plastic!

I don't mind working on my STR but I dread removing any plastic now that the car is 10 years old. It's not just Jaguar but any automotive plastic is a problem.

That's one of the reasons I am fond of older cars with lots more metal in them. Not as good cars but much easier to repair/rebuild.

Old 02-25-2015 | 11:14 AM

it would be nice to help each other out. hopefully this forum will improve
I think the forum has already 'improved' and is presently working very much in your favour on this issue.

Had you asked the same question 5+ years ago, there may have been some naive optimism and ill-advised enthusiasm for your planned project as owners back then might have simply and innocently underestimated the difficulty and cost of the task. That would have been a shame as the car would most likely be still sitting today gathering dust having been abandoned part way through.

There's lots of experienced and knowledgeable people here today that know these cars inside out and have learned from the school of hard knocks.

I'd be grateful for the shared info if it was me.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mikey:
joycesjag (02-25-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-01-2015), NBCat (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015 | 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey

There's lots of experienced and knowledgeable people here today that know these cars inside out and have learned from the school of hard knocks.

I'd be grateful for the shared info if it was me.

Me too!

Old 02-25-2015 | 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tijoe
You are a glutton for punishment. But from my perspective the swap can be done. I assume that your 4.2 donor car is at least the same model year, hopefully as sports model or newer.

Things you will need to verify before starting to make life a little easier.
1. Same rear end gear ratio.
2. Depending on if your STR has brembos or the newer single caliper rear brakes you may have to swap out the complete rear end assembly. STRs with Brembos have separate parking brake, actuator cables and how the e-brakes work could be different. (electric, versus manual.)
3. All STRs have CATs. Different shocks and associated harness and control module in the trunk.
4. STRs may have a different ABS control unit programming to handle the Brembos. This will tie into the Body control module programming.
5. While you are at it look JTIS to see if the STR body harness might be significantly different.
4. Body reinforcing is probably different. STRs have a stiffening panel incorporated behind the seats to reduce body flex. The rear sub frame mounts are also beefed up a bit to handle the increase HP of the STR.
5. When you swap in the STR engine and trans, you'll have to use all the associated STR engine and trans harnesses. These tie into the body and dashboard harnesses. Guess what, the speedometer cluster will be calibrated differently so you will need to swap al least the instrument cluster.
6. You will need to change alll the radiators, and associated hoses. Radiator, trans cooler, STR aux pump and lines. Air intake box....

These are the major items off the top of my head.

Probably a 70% car rebuild. Could be worse.

Plan an extra $500 to $1K on all the old plastic parts and lines that shatter as you take the cars apart.

Go for it! but time wise, I recommend you scrap your NA 4.2 and purchase an STR with a blown motor or high mileage. Much easier time and money overall.
So.....perhaps not such a task as we had thought.

Old 02-25-2015 | 01:41 PM
|

the electronic brake seems to be identical as to what is on the STR. My S type is a late model 03. Pretty much has all the 2004 features from what I have seen. Some of the items on the list are pretty obvious others not so obvious. None the less thank you very much for putting that together for me. I greatly appreciate your time.

Old 02-26-2015 | 11:47 AM
|

I did some research at work last night, brake booster and brake rotors seem to be the same part #, caliper is obviously different on the STR. This is for the front brake. A few other parts were straight matches.

Old 05-14-2023 | 04:55 AM

Hi, sorry for reviving this thread.
im in the same situation and i have the means to do it. Wouldn't be the first jaguar engine swap.

all those parts i can swap any day.

I am most worried about the chassis strength of a regular stype... can it handle the R torque?
Will the body flex too much without the reinforcements?

i can also source a n/a v8 for $200. Should i just throw the na in this regular v6 stype? I have the Ate model R brakes already.

please consider that i do the work so no labor costs for me

Old 05-14-2023 | 06:13 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure there’s any actual differences in the chassis per se. Probably just the close springs shocks wheels and then the module programming. Where can you find a V-8 for $200? Do you have anymore? I’ve got a spare 2006S type in my driveway that needs a motor

Old 05-14-2023 | 07:03 AM

Whats good Cuda!
Im currently living in romania. Here the taxes for engines bigger than 2 liters are enormous and most people cant afford gasoline (i know modern day communism) So demand for v8 engines is small.
so went to a scrapyard and i offered myself to pull the engine out. $200 is what they get for the whole care at recycling stations. So me offering that money for just the engine that no one needs is a deal for them.
- Note: my car is registered as a 2.5 so i just change the engine and im good with taxes
- Note2: thats why i also have a evo 4g63 2 liter turbo hella fast and low taxes.

Now, regarding the question, if i am advised that the chassis and body of a regar Stype will be ok with the R power i will do the complete R swap (drivetrain, braking system, suspensions, and electronics) as i can find a totaled STR for less than $2000. (A good stype R here is too unworthy expensive to register, hence my need to swap, no worries i did it before its fun for me)

if you guys would have trust issues with the integrity of a regular stype, id just throw in the NA v8 and ill enjoy the car as is, and use the mitsubishi for fun and speeding.

Third and the best option, if someone knows the structural differences and can point them out, i might be able to just add braces or weld some reinforcement. Maybe?
again i have the tools and skills, and the parts and materials i can source for cheap here.
i just need someone's knowledge on this.

thank you

Last edited by elDariusVargas; 05-14-2023 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2023 | 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

I think we have the answer??
The "expert" who claimed this could all be done if only we did not damage his self esteem by doubting this project is now long gone. That was way back in 2015 and he has been absent since that time.

Where is his massive build thread?
There is not one because he never did anything!

Now you can ride to victory and do this swap and then document it for all to see!

joycesjag (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023 | 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

The R had some mechanical changes, including bracing & suspension (& fuel pumps).

I don't know if the NA V8 did, but I think not.

I guess (!) the cluster will be different so hope you got that too.

What about the trans?

Old 05-14-2023 | 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
The R had some mechanical changes, including bracing & suspension (& fuel pumps).

I don't know if the NA V8 did, but I think not.

I guess (!) the cluster will be different so hope you got that too.

What about the trans?
hi Jag v8!

in the case of a str swap, i will transfer everything. But even after that, the bracing and reinforcements im very courious about

in the case of a NA engine swap, i have the same question. Will the v6 torque converter and gear ratio handle it?
or do i need the bigger bell housing transmission with its internals and the diff from the v8 na donator car?

thank you

Last edited by elDariusVargas; 05-14-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2023 | 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know.

Quick Reply: 4.2l na to 4.2l supercharged