S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2l na to 4.2l supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023 | 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

From my perspective in order for forum member to be able assist you in more than just generalities, you will need to provide us with details on what model year the S-type you want to swap the engine into, and what year engine/trans you want to put into the car. Simply stated, I look at the S-types as having 3 distinct generations. (For a simple discussion say Gen1, Gen2 and Gen3.) If your swap stays within the receiver car's generation, then you can most easily get the job done. If you want cross generational platforms, the job with increase 10X.
Gen1: 1999 to to 2002.5 S-types have significant differences then Gen2 and Gen3, and it will be very difficult to put on STR components on this first generation car. For these cars, you could figure out how to swap in a 4.0 V8 to replace a V6, but installing a 4.2 engine and trans would prove to be much more difficult. (Electrical system complexities and different front suspension/front subframe versus the next generation).

Gen2: 2002.5 to around 2006. This generation has a new front subframe and front suspension, Rear suspension is changed slightly. Upgraded rear subframe, different differential with uneven drive shafts, different parking brake system, (electric and/or manual activation, different driveshaft. 4.2 NA Engines went to VVT and STR engine did not have VVT. (Therefore lots of electrical control module programming differences, between the V6, 4.2 NA VVT and the STR engines.) But basic routing of harnesses is the same. Other details, because STR had CATS option, there are about 5 variations of brake ABS/TCS modules, so if you are swapping to brembo brakes with or without CATS on the receiver car, you probably have to swap the ABS/TCS brake module if you are upgrading to Brembos.

Gen3. Around 2006 forward: Also known as the Facelift version. 4.2 supercharged engines went to VVT, new electrical system controllers/ECM/Body Control modules. Facelift changed some of the body panels.

For each of these generation cars, all of the vehicle's control modules are all programmed and matched per the VIN, and vehicle options. As soon as you change/program the ECM for a particular engine/transmission configuration, you will have to reprogram many of the other control modules. This means you will have to have access to, and/or purchase this capability, else your swap may never start.

If you are serious about proceeding, the first thing I would do is download all of the S-type mechanical and electrical manuals, and diagnostics for the different generation S-types and start studying the manuals. (Manuals use to be all posted in the Sticky sections of this forum.)

Believe me, there are so many subtle differences between years, models, options, sensors, modules and how the are programmed that one needs to study and learn a lot of details before jumping into the project.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (06-01-2023)
Old 05-15-2023 | 10:09 AM

I do appreciate the time to write everything, and i think you are on mobile and the signiture is not visible, because my cars are described there.

this 2003 v6 stype i have already swapped once. I did the ecm reprogramming and runs perfect. But is slow, tried different manifolds, did better with a st200 one but still slow
I know most of its components and the aforementioned details.

what i dont know is what are the reinforcement differences on the STR. Again if i go the STR swap route, i will transfer EVERYTHING. I can get a crashed one cheap when i find one.

or if i go the NA motor (only) route (already available and very cheap), i wonder if i can put the 4.2na on the v6's 6hp transmission (considering the bell housing difference and probably different torque converter and gearing ratios)

Old 05-15-2023 | 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

The STR changes are discussed in the forum & the various Jag docs (Technical Guides, Training Courses, Technical Training & probably others).

Most are on here (including the large file area) or JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

I was surprised that the V8 NA & SC 6HP26s are different weights, though I know not why.

Old 05-15-2023 | 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

In what I call the Gen2 vehicles, Jaguar often put on control arms and suspension parts that had softer bushings, and smaller diameter sway bars, on the V6 and 4.2 NA cars, versus what they used on the STR. On Gen3, I believe that they converged all of the suspension parts to be the same, except perhaps spring rates and shocks. (Majority of gen3 suspension parts are all backwards compatible to Gen2.)
(There have been many suspension discussions on the forum regarding swapping STR suspension and brakes to non-STR models.

When you say reinforcement differences, body wise, the Gen2 bodies are almost the same, or could be the same. On the new STRs I believe that they reinforced where the seats fold down to stiffen up the body. Not sure if not having this on your 03 would affect the flexing of the body and or handling. (Perhaps they stiffened up all the Gen2 bodies, I don't know. Others might be able to confirm.)

I am not sure if the front sub-frames are exactly the same. you need to find P/N lists and check this. Example: The STR has the secondary water pump for feeding the SC coolant. This difference in the cooling system may require a different radiator, hoses, and perhaps mounting bracket / supports versus a NA version. The A/C and trans cooler might be different.

Jim Kristeff (06-13-2023)
Old 05-16-2023 | 03:03 AM
Veteran Member

I have what you call Gen2 & it has the bracing.

Old 05-16-2023 | 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Significant front sub-frame differences with a SC car. I found this out when changing the AC compressor on my old 2005 STR. The STR has some additional cross bracing on the sub-frame.

Listen to Tijoe I have been following him for a long time and he has attempted a LOT of this type of stuff.
How is the LS motor swap car doing?

I see you now have an Alfa! I was really interested in the Quadrifoglio as I got to see and sit in one at the Texas Mile. Neat car and best of all you will NEVER see another one! But got worried when I started reading about the service problems and how hard it is to get service depending on where you live. Mainly because they are so rare and hard to find. Never will forget that car had CF seat frames!

JagV8 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023 | 10:02 AM

Hi! This is not the OP haha. Im someone else. i just revived this topic because here's a lot of golden info from Tijoe, JagV8 and others which i must thank a lot for!

but im yet to read everything today and see if i can do similar reinforcements.

There is a totaled str going for 1000 eur around here and im trying to get my hands on it so i can do this project.

Last edited by elDariusVargas; 05-16-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2023 | 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I was surprised that the V8 NA & SC 6HP26s are different weights, though I know not why.
The STR g/box is stronger than the N/A one, which may account for the difference.

JagV8 (06-02-2023)
Old 05-31-2023 | 06:18 PM

While you're at it, instead of a supercharged 4.2, put in a drive train from a wrecked 5.0 liter supercharged XF with 500 to 600 horsepower instead of a measly 400 horsepower. You will then have a Super S Type. On second thought just get a used XF with the supercharged 5.0, they are also about the cheapest fast car you can find. If you can find one, that is.

Last edited by Catmobile; 05-31-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2023 | 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Catmobile
While you're at it, instead of a supercharged 4.2, put in a drive train from a wrecked 5.0 liter supercharged XF with 500 to 600 horsepower instead of a measly 400 horsepower. You will then have a Super S Type. On second thought just get a used XF with the supercharged 5.0, they are also about the cheapest fast car you can find. If you can find one, that is.
Amazing idea!
will the xfr ecu be able to pair with the
cluster, immobilizer and door module or other stype interconnected electronics?

Old 06-02-2023 | 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Or listen to the internet experts and just install a Ford Coyote engine. Because they are the same motors but with different cam covers!
It should be a straight forward and simple swap. I wonder why no one has done it?

Old 06-02-2023 | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Or listen to the internet experts and just install a Ford Coyote engine. Because they are the same motors but with different cam covers!
It should be a straight forward and simple swap. I wonder why no one has done it?
i see what you mean, but the xf is similar to the stype. Id go for a coyote or ls or uz tomorrow but im in europe and would be extremely expensive

Old 06-02-2023 | 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by elDariusVargas
Amazing idea!
will the xfr ecu be able to pair with the
cluster, immobilizer and door module or other stype interconnected electronics?
I'm nearly certain - no.

Old 06-02-2023 | 03:34 PM

I'm not sure if Jaguar put the 5.0 liter engines in the XF before or after they changed the chassis that was shared with the S Type. A Jaguar dealer or mechanic should know off the top of their head. If the chassis is the same, it would be a lot easier. For myself, I would rather have the tried and tested 5.0 Jaguar engine that the Coyote. People easily get 600 HP out of them, which is plenty and Jaguar mechanics have told me that the 5.0 liter engines are at least as durable as the bombproof 4.2. Besides it's a Jaag. The problem with mods is that when you put in a more powerful motor, everything should be changed unless you just want to rev it up once in a while. You need compatible trans, rear end, drive line, etc. or the existing ones won't last very long. You also need suspension and brake upgrades from the donor car too. With the same chassis you could just drop the entire suspensions and put them on as a unit, like in the factory along with the electronics. Then you have your Super S Type! You can do it Vargas!

Last edited by Catmobile; 06-02-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2023 | 04:08 PM

I'm not sure if Jaguar put the 5.0 liter engines in the XF before or after they changed the chassis that was shared with the S Type. A Jaguar dealer or mechanic should know off the top of their head. If the chassis is the same, it would be a lot easier. For myself, I would rather have the tried and tested 5.0 Jaguar engine that the Coyote. People easily get 600 HP out of them, which is plenty and Jaguar mechanics have told me that the 5.0 liter engines are at least as durable as the bombproof 4.2. Besides it's a Jaag. The problem with mods is that when you put in a more powerful motor, everything should be changed unless you just want to rev it up once in a while. You need compatible trans, rear end, drive line, etc. or the existing ones won't last very long. You also need suspension and brake upgrades from the donor car too. With the same chassis you could just drop the entire suspensions and put them on as a unit, like in the factory along with the electronics. Then you have your Super S Type! You can do it Vargas!
i like your style and if i see a crashed XFR for cheap i will do an emergency reaserch if i could transfer most of the parts and electronics, mostly being left with a s type body and interior maybe.

but if i see a str for cheap, id do it and id be more than happy with a 4.2sc, I'll probably do some water meth and boost it higher, will see. 400 hp is plenty power for me.

I had a hellcat that i flipped for money, i kept it for 25 days (fixed its front end), and that car was so powerful i needed lessons to drive all that haha.

btw regarding the 5.0, isnt the jaguar 5.0 way different that the flat crankshaft coyote?
coyote engines are very powerful even NA.

another cheap way to buikd a super fast car is supercharging a 5.7 hemi. But right now we are on a jag forum 🫡.

greetings to all. Im in the market looking for these cars. Lost an offer 2 months ago $1000 for a lightly crashed str... ill be more attentive

Old 06-02-2023 | 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'm nearly certain - no.
Hmm maybe a 4.2 facelift ecu that can be remapped hmmmm, and the eventual adaptations for the 5.0 to use the 4.2 harness and accessories...

i can't pronounce myself as i am not familiar with the xfr

Old 06-03-2023 | 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry elDariusVargus! I was making a joke as in the beginning it was a common mistake by people to constantly post that the Jaguar 5.0 and the Ford Coyote 5.0 were the same engine or based on the same engine when in fact they share exactly zero! No parts interchange and the engines are and were completely separate from development thru construction.

Old 06-03-2023 | 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

For myself, I would rather have the tried and tested 5.0 Jaguar engine that the Coyote. People easily get 600 HP out of them, which is plenty and Jaguar mechanics have told me that the 5.0 liter engines are at least as durable as the bombproof 4.2
Whoever they are, tell them to seek help immediately. They are on some strong stuff.

Old 06-03-2023 | 02:58 PM

As far as the durability of the Jaag V8s they are built to the hilt, check the specs, everything attached to the engines might have problems, but not the engines themselves. Besides hot rodding it around, once the upper radiator hose on mine popped off, because the cap wasn't releasing pressure and it lost 2/3 of the coolant by the time I got home. The temp gauge went up and then back down, little did I know the temp gauge went down because there was not coolant there. I picked up the hood when I got home and it was a hot stinky mess. It didn't hurt a thing! I tested everything and even had the oil analyzed! This was five or six years ago and now the 20 year old engine still doesn't leak a drop of oil and is still smooth as silk.
I did a little research and the XF had the same chassis as the S Type until 2013, so everything on the supercharged 5.0 XF from before 2013 will bolt onto an S type, who knows one of you maniacs out there will go for it?

Last edited by Catmobile; 06-03-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2023 | 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by elDariusVargas
Hi, sorry for reviving this thread.
im in the same situation and i have the means to do it. Wouldn't be the first jaguar engine swap.

all those parts i can swap any day.

I am most worried about the chassis strength of a regular stype... can it handle the R torque?
Will the body flex too much without the reinforcements?

i can also source a n/a v8 for $200. Should i just throw the na in this regular v6 stype? I have the Ate model R brakes already.

please consider that i do the work so no labor costs for me

hi wish I could have found a 4.2 v8 for $200.00
it has just cost me 12k to rebuild mine thats just parts rebuilt engine myself everything had to come from united Kingdom to new Zealand
Destroyed both cylinder heads 4 pistons
cause expansion tank failed

Quick Reply: 4.2l na to 4.2l supercharged