S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2L V8 - Engine Cover Screws

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2L V8 - Engine Cover Screws

I am looking for two of the four screws that hold the engine cover in place. I callled the local dealer this afternoon and was told that these screws are an integral part of the engine cover and thus not avaiable as a separate part. (Of course they are integral to the cover - that's why two of them have disassociated themselves from the cover on my car).

This is such a minor item that no bone yard wants to honor the request. The screws are rather unique in that they are a 1/4 to 1/2 turn Phillips head screw that will not be found at the local auto parts or hardware store.

Does anyone know where I mjight find these screws? I cannot believe that I am the only one to ever loose these things. I have no problem calling across either the equator or the Atlantic if anyone knows of a good salvage yard in Europe or Australia that would be helpful enough to sell me a couple of these screws.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl G.
Pearland, TX USA

Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Carl, give ken@britishparts.com a private message and see if he can help you. You may be surprised as to what he can whip up for you. Not making any promises, but might be worth a chance. Otherwise, you may want to consider atleast stopping by the auto parts store and looking at their fastener section. I know they won't have the exact screw that you are looking for, but you may be able to get away with a friction button (or whatever they call them). Essentially it has a fairly large top to it and the fastener part of the piece is nothing more than a post with small plastic fingers sticking out the sides. You push it into place and the little fingers hold the fastener in place. It would atleast make for a temporary fix.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

It may help if you can quote the part number of the cover so that people can orient themselves as to what you're wanting.

Also, you could perhaps ask for a quote for the cover with screws but it would be an expensive fix!

You can likely find a 4.2 in a salvage yard in England and arrange to buy what you want but to be worth the yard's trouble I imagine it wouldn't be cheap.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
It may help if you can quote the part number of the cover so that people can orient themselves as to what you're wanting.

Also, you could perhaps ask for a quote for the cover with screws but it would be an expensive fix!

You can likely find a 4.2 in a salvage yard in England and arrange to buy what you want but to be worth the yard's trouble I imagine it wouldn't be cheap.
I did get a quote for the cover with the screws. It was in the range of $160.00 USD. Quite expensive for a couple of screws.

I agree it may not be worth a yard's trouble either here or in the UK but I will never know if I do not ask.

I will see if I can dig up the part number for the engine cover.