Sponsored by:

5r55n Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 5r55n Shift Kit

From what I can see, the TransGo kit is the popular shift kit to go with :
Amazon Amazon

But, I just noticed this other shift kit that I haven't seen mentioned on here before: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission...-/251301537940

Does anyone have any experience with it and have advice as to whether it is worth it or not?

-Chase

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0L - 110k miles

Old 07-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Honestly, if your transmission is operating normally I wouldn't tinker with it. I would invest in a filter/fluid change though... Just my $0.02

Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM

I wouldn't say it's operating "normally." Maybe it is operating as expected for a 2000 S-Type, but I really want to get rid of the delay and lurch when I change between park, drive, and reverse and the occasional rough shift. I plan on getting the PCM flashed with the newest software mid-August, but I assume that isn't the whole problem.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:50 PM

Chase, there is no reflashing programming on the 5R55N transmission. Functionality is controlled by the PCM.

Of course you can do a hard reset and re-train the transmission. Have you tried the shifting procedures when Trans is fully warmed up?

Search on the forum.

Has the fluid/filter ever been changed? This could be part of the cause of your delayed shifting.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
Chase, there is no reflashing programming on the 5R55N transmission. Functionality is controlled by the PCM.

Of course you can do a hard reset and re-train the transmission. Have you tried the shifting procedures when Trans is fully warmed up?

Search on the forum.

Has the fluid/filter ever been changed? This could be part of the cause of your delayed shifting.
If you couldn't tell already, I don't know much about the inner workings of cars. Most of my knowledge about the car is based off of what I have read here. Are you saying that it isn't beneficial to get the latest software on the PCM? I just planned on doing it, because I saw it on another thread. What are these shifting procedures? And I have had my transmission flushed and the fluid changed. That was about a year ago before I had started noticing that my mechanic isn't very reliable. I've been wanting to know if he used the right fluid, but I don't want any confrontation. I think I'm going to ask the local ford garage if they'd flush my transmission and use the 12 quarts of Mercon V that I'm going to order soon. Do you think I would be able to do the hard reset myself and re-train the transmission?

Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All he is saying is that any actual issues with your transmission (i.e. hard shifts, etc.) won't be fixed by reflashing your PCM. You may notice slight performance gains, however a reflash, typically, by itself won't fix actual problems.

Retraining your transmission may help, but not to scare you, your issues are more than likely related to worn valve body springs. In which case, you were correct with wanting to install a shift kit.

I just purchased a used 5R55N online and will begin the valve body rebuild once I get back stateside. I opted to go this route to learn how to rebuild the system without the risk of destroying the trans sitting in the jag.

There are several videos concerning the 5R55N transmission on Youtube, be sure to check them out. These videos include everything from how to perform a hard reset and more. Just do a search for 5R55N transmission and go from there.

I can't stand having someone else work on any of my vehicles, so I won't be one of those guys telling you to take it in to the dealership or any other shop for that matter. That being said, be sure to know your limits, otherwise you'll just be paying the technician anyway.

I hope you decide to tackle the project yourself. You can do it!! Keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Chase6495 (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM

I agree - you can certainly tackle this yourself if you want. There's a lot of information here on the forum and the net as well.

Hardest thing to keep in mind is making sure the fluid fill procedure is done properly. (again, lots of info available)

Sonnax is the way to go for replacement parts. Lots of good feedback and info shared on the forum.

Chase6495 (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 PM

I think I'll get started on the youtube videos soon. Why do some S-Type owners replace the solenoid block?

Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 PM

The above link goes over the solenoid for the 5R55N/S/W and does a pretty good job explaining the details. The channel actually has a couple videos pertaining to the 5R55N that I found pretty interesting when doing my research on the transmission.

-Bob

Old 07-28-2014, 07:33 PM

Nice video. He does a good job of explaining the importance of upkeep on the solenoid. This doesn't look like a job I will be doing on my own though. What part of the transmission does the shift kit upgrade? I assume that it is not the solenoid, as some people install a new solenoid as well as a shift kit.

Also, unrelated: Today, I noticed that my key came out of my ignition very warm. I haven't noticed this before, so I'm wondering if it is normal.

rbhostet (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 PM

The shift kit upgrades the valve springs located within the valve body itself. This is removed after removing the solenoid block. There are additional videos that go over the installation of the 5R55N valve body spring kits.

Not sure on the warm key.

-Bob

Old 07-29-2014, 11:24 AM

Just got off the phone with the closest jaguar dealer. The employee went from saying they'd charge me $99 to install the latest software on the PCM to saying they couldn't do it unless I was trying to fix a specific problem. Didn't really know what to think of it. The man was quite rude.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Be aware that the solenoids are only part of the problem. If you really want to know the ins and outs of this transmission in the S Type/Lincoln LS go read the LS forums. A lot more modifying and repairing go on there because the cars are cheaper and have fallen into the hands of kids. Stay away from the Mustang guys because that’s a performance car and you do not have or want that type of shifting. If you do dump the car and get something more suited to that.

My 2003 LS shifts great at 100K but it did require a valve body change while it was still under the 50K mile factory warranty. To save money they first changed the solenoids because that is cheaper and quicker but I knew from reading the forums that usually only fixes part of the problem. After bringing it back I got a new updated valve body and it's been great since then.

Also you need to understand about case bore wear. Have you heard of it and do you understand how and why it happens? At 110K miles you are a PRIME candidate to have that.

You really should drop the entire shift kit thing and either drive it until it dies. Remember your car is worth nothing at this point in time. Or get the entire transmission replaced and make SURE you get it from somewhere they know all the little things this transmission needs. NOT some parts changers that slap the entire old unit back in with a few new parts. That's a very bad idea!

One last thing; How are the timing chain tensioners???

Old 07-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Be aware that the solenoids are only part of the problem. If you really want to know the ins and outs of this transmission in the S Type/Lincoln LS go read the LS forums. A lot more modifying and repairing go on there because the cars are cheaper and have fallen into the hands of kids. Stay away from the Mustang guys because that’s a performance car and you do not have or want that type of shifting. If you do dump the car and get something more suited to that.

My 2003 LS shifts great at 100K but it did require a valve body change while it was still under the 50K mile factory warranty. To save money they first changed the solenoids because that is cheaper and quicker but I knew from reading the forums that usually only fixes part of the problem. After bringing it back I got a new updated valve body and it's been great since then.

Also you need to understand about case bore wear. Have you heard of it and do you understand how and why it happens? At 110K miles you are a PRIME candidate to have that.

You really should drop the entire shift kit thing and either drive it until it dies. Remember your car is worth nothing at this point in time. Or get the entire transmission replaced and make SURE you get it from somewhere they know all the little things this transmission needs. NOT some parts changers that slap the entire old unit back in with a few new parts. That's a very bad idea!

One last thing; How are the timing chain tensioners???
Haha. Though I am a "kid," I am not interested in the performance that mustang owners seek, so I will agree to stay away from those forums. I have this car because I am interested in a more luxurious look and feel. I have not yet viewed the LS forums, so thank you for the advice - I will check them out when I get some time.

So you think I should upgrade the solenoid and valve body?

I actually heard about the bore wear yesterday on YouTube. I don't understand it or why it happens, but I don't like hearing that I'm a prime candidate haha.

By replace the transmission, I hope you don't mean REPLACE it, but rather replace all of the parts that go bad? Unfortunately I cannot afford to replace the whole transmission. And to finding a mechanic that knows the ins and outs - How do I know if they do? I'm struggling to find a mechanic that I can trust in my area.

To the timing chain tensioners - I have no idea. I know very little about cars. It's probably appalling to hear. Thank you for your lengthy feedback though.

-Chase

Old 07-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Thanks for reporting back but my answer has now changed.

Unless you are willing to do something (replace) all the timing chain tensioners and chains I would leave the transmission alone.

Any way you can find out if they have been changed?

If not I would pull a cam cover and look at the them. You can only see the secondary ones and if they are metal you have the latest and best ones.

If they are a sickly reddish/orange then they are the old plastic units that are guaranteed to fail at some point. The V-8 is an interference engine so the failure will make the pistons hit the valves and destroy your engine.

Is there any odd noises when starting the car? Roll the window down and turn the damn radio off when you start the car next time. Too many people pay no attention to their car and then are surprised when it has a problem. You can hear the timing chains rattle on cold start up and more than a few people have caught it in time. If you get lucky you might jump time and then the engine will run like crap and nothing will fix it until the timing is all back in sync.

If you can't do the mechanic work yourself I would get rid of the car now. It’s just too expensive to pay someone to fix these things.

That’s what this list is for. Shade tree mechanic’s performing repairs that cost thousands of dollars at the dealer.
It’s really the only way the S Type works out!

If you want some good S Type/Lincoln LS reading spend some time here:

Lincoln LS

Tons of transmission and timing tensioner talk and repairs.

Look for a guy called JOEGR. The guy knows his ****!!