S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

930i scanner

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016 | 02:46 PM
|
Default 930i scanner

Any 930i carsoft scanner owners out there that use this scanner and can advise on the following?
I have the above scanner and it's first scan showed no DTCs in the ECU ( other codes given in different modules) I scanned it again a couple of weeks later and it won't read the ECU comes up with a fault in communication no matter what I try to do.
I checked the car out with a £10 scanner from Hongkong that gave me a "no codes" readout so the presumption is that my car electronics are ok.
I sent an e-mail to carsoft 21st Jan no reply from their engineer as yet.
I have an option to either exchange (cost of postage) or get a refund from scantool direct, the supplier.
The car is a S type 2003 model which is listed in their software for cover
So the question is "exchange" (ok if this one is faulty) or "refund" and then what are the alternatives for around £100
What do you think?
Thanks
cully

Old 01-30-2016 | 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

I'm sorry to hear than this scanner has not worked properly for you. I have researched it during the past few weeks and have read too many reviews that describe communication faults similar to what you have experienced, so I have decided not to purchase one. I would return the unit for a full refund if I were you....

Old 01-30-2016 | 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

I use the i930 but mainly to watch graphs and check all modules rather than one only !
This i930 hates doing manual scans ! But works great if you just do auto scans did you try that ? Just let it check all 22 modules an report back ! There really isn't mutch else out there that will do all modules including ABS for the price of an i930!

Also you should be getting atleast 1 code p1000 systems readiness check even on your crap China checker !thay are always there !
I think the elm327 is the best and first go to for an engine check , but i930 is more advanced and is great for the rest of what the elm327 Can not do

Last edited by Datsports; 01-30-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2016 | 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

I have an i930 that I use on my '02. When I selected 2002, I received some "can't communicate " errors. Then I realized that my car was built on 5/2001....so I chose 2001 for the year, and everything was picked up! Just wondering if electrically the scanner thinks it's an '02?

P1000 shows up when there's insufficient data, as in a newly replaced battery, or all DTCs with any emissions data has been cleared. Generic scanners don't pick up many Jaguar-specific codes.

Last edited by Warspite; 01-30-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2016 | 03:15 AM
|

Thanks for the response,
The 930i has picked up codes in other modules (Instrument panel B2477, seat U1260, Gen Elect U1041) that I have erased and not revisited yet.
I tried the same car different years but with the same results.
The "crap" scanner gives me generic P1111 after it's scan.
When auto scanning, which I have done, I wonder if it picks up the ECM? How would I know if it does?
I am inclined to keep it but disappointed with carsoft's lack of response I suppose the question is do I exchange this for another for the cost of sending it back to the supplier
or get the elm 327
Thanks
cully

Old 01-31-2016 | 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

P1111 is systems readiness check compleat,
You could unplug your mass air flow senser (maf) on your air filter box and start the car to force a code and reduced performance mil , and see if it will scan it and clear it , the crap one should fix that anyway if the i930 fails !

Old 01-31-2016 | 04:51 AM

I have one of these scanners I did get get the the message could no see ecu I did update the firmware and it has worked fine since the support for these scanners are hopeless

Old 01-31-2016 | 07:08 AM

I paid $500 for old Autel Maxidas DS708 scanner.
Reads everything, including how many times drivers had sex in the car.

Old 01-31-2016 | 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by car5car
I paid $500 for old Autel Maxidas DS708 scanner.
Reads everything, including how many times drivers had sex in the car.
Hope you don't get any "Reduced Performance" codes during THOSE scans!

Old 01-31-2016 | 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Limp mode?

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (01-31-2016)
Old 02-04-2016 | 02:14 AM
|

I pulled the MAF plug to generate the codes & limp mode then tried the 930, no response, so used the Geniscan 100 to clear the two DTCs (p0102, P0112)
I un-installed then re-installed the updated software (same version that the scanner came with, on change
I am inclined to keep the scanner for the rest of the modules it scans but don't want to give money to a firm that from the 21/Jan has not been able to find their one and only engineer who has gone "walk about" somewhere in the world where e-mail are not allowed to travel.
If I had confidence in the Geniscan GS100 being able to read all the ECU codes I would stick with it.
Thanks.
Cully

Old 02-04-2016 | 05:59 AM

My 930 does everything it's supposed to..

Old 02-04-2016 | 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

ZenFly,

Please elaborate on what you've done with your 930i scanner thus far. I'm curious regarding whether or not it would have been able to diagnose and clear my recent ABS/DSC C1175 code, thereby allowing me to swap the rear wheel speed sensors and then actually see the fault follow the swap....

Old 02-04-2016 | 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
ZenFly,

Please elaborate on what you've done with your 930i scanner thus far. I'm curious regarding whether or not it would have been able to diagnose and clear my recent ABS/DSC C1175 code, thereby allowing me to swap the rear wheel speed sensors and then actually see the fault follow the swap....
I haven't checked ABS specifically but it has been done on auto scan a few times where it reports 100% on all systems as they flash by . I've only done that a few times and haven't given the brakes much thought. The data streams on the engine and trans are amazing to me.. I'll go choose EBS and tell you what is there if you want but I'm pretty sure it's going to do what you want it to and ck each wheel and their sensors.

Old 02-04-2016 | 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

ZenFly,

When you have a few spare minutes to play with your 930i scanner, please check out its ABS/DSC capabilities and post your findings here. I hope this turns out to be the extremely capable tool that its marketing department wants us to believe it is, but so many customer reviews say that their 930i refuses to communicate with various components of their car that it is supposed to, and then they complain that customer support from the manufacturer is non-existent....

Old 02-05-2016 | 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

My i930 has cleared ABS codes for wheel speed sensers befor on an 03 s type r , and an 03 xkr! It tells you witch one is faulty . I.e left rear !
As I have stated in another thread although it scans the module on auto mode when no fault is present and passes it , it does not read codes for c.a.t.s suspensions if one is there but the CEL goes out on its own once the wire connection or faulty shock is sorted any way so no big deal !
Just doesn't help to fault find the c.a.t.s is all ! Otherwise works perfect on all 22 of my s type modules . I would get your faulty one swapped for another good working I930 ,
Great tool .

Old 02-05-2016 | 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Datsports
My i930 has cleared ABS codes for wheel speed sensers befor on an 03 s type r , and an 03 xkr! It tells you witch one is faulty . I.e left rear !
As I have stated in another thread although it scans the module on auto mode when no fault is present and passes it , it does not read codes for c.a.t.s suspensions if one is there but the CEL goes out on its own once the wire connection or faulty shock is sorted any way so no big deal !
Just doesn't help to fault find the c.a.t.s is all ! Otherwise works perfect on all 22 of my s type modules . I would get your faulty one swapped for another good working I930 ,
Great tool .
I bought mine off ebay / paypal from a seller with 100% feedback and a great return policy. Makes it real safe. If you don't like it send it right back. I see above that some have had units that didn't function very well. It took me a bit of messing around to figure it out because the manual is lame, cust svs doesn't answer and I'm 67 and not the brightest bulb on the tree with modern tech. The only thing I've seen on youtube that I guess much more costly units have is a graph on short term fuel trims that jump up and down plus and minus around zero and paint a pic of it in time but the 930 does fuel trims just fine watching the number jump around. I just think the graph is cool and maybe a bit better indication of what is going on with all the sensors. It's fascinating to me. I quote data "great tool"

Old 02-05-2016 | 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll reconsider the i930 unit, but I consider a good owners manual and responsive customer tech support by phone to be essential for any diagnostic tool. Looks like those two factors will remain in the "poor" category for this product....

Old 02-09-2016 | 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Last Friday I decided to roll the dice and order the i930 scanner through amazon.com. The unit arrived yesterday afternoon. I read the very sketchy owners manual, then plugged the unit into my S-Type's OBDII port, powered it up, followed the screens to properly identify my car, and attempted to do the individual manual scans of the various modules it is supposed to be able to read. During the ABS Module scan, it indeed picked up the correct wheel speed sensor DTC fault and allowed me to clear it (of course that DTC will reappear as soon as I drive the car because I have not yet received my new wheel speed sensor from SNG Barratt). The scanner was able to successfully complete manual scans of all the other modules it is supposed to be able to read EXCEPT the Engine Control Module. Whenever I try to manually scan the Engine Control Module, I get the "Communication Failure" message on the scanner's display screen that others have reported. Very disappointing - a scanner that refuses to work with the Engine Control Module is pretty useless to me....

And as everyone has said, their tech support is worthless. The published phone number is answered with a recording that states "this number does not exist" and my e-mail to their tech support address has thus far been ignored. I expect to be sending this scanner back for a full refund if I cannot find a way to get it to properly communicate with the car's Engine Control Module....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-09-2016 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-10-2016 | 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

my i930 says Communication Failure on the 03 xkr only on the engine control module as well, and only on manual scan ,when there is code existing it pulls it and clears it fine in auto mode , but always auto scans all 20 modules fine with or with out codes
but works perfect on the 03 STR inc ECM ! so I'm surprised you are having this issue .
same here i emailed icarsoft about the xkr and got told there engineer was bizzy refining other tools for new modles and was too buzzy to help .
then they told me there was a way to fix the problem with the latest software so i updated it , did not help , then they said to do 3 key off/ons with the scanner plugged in .
that didn't work ether , just made me laugh they are full of sh-t!!
but i still kept mine as it has actually been an awesome help for what it can do and does well !
just get your self an elm327 and use it as ECM scanner and the i930 for the rest ,
the i930 has great graphs, data logging , and for the price you will struggle to get a scanner to do ABS,ARS,BODY MODULES ,CATS SUSPENTION,AND real time graphs.
the elm is only $20 if your smart phone is android get the bluetooth one , if you have apple iPhone then get the wi.fi one ! there are plenty of apps to run them some are free some are a few dollars ,
i still think the i930 is a bargain tool for the price.

Quick Reply: 930i scanner