S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

930i scanner

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 04:13 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Datsports
my i930 says Communication Failure on the 03 xkr only on the engine control module as well, and only on manual scan ,when there is code existing it pulls it and clears it fine in auto mode , but always auto scans all 20 modules fine with or with out codes
but works perfect on the 03 STR inc ECM ! so I'm surprised you are having this issue .
same here i emailed icarsoft about the xkr and got told there engineer was bizzy refining other tools for new modles and was too buzzy to help .
then they told me there was a way to fix the problem with the latest software so i updated it , did not help , then they said to do 3 key off/ons with the scanner plugged in .
that didn't work ether , just made me laugh they are full of sh-t!!
but i still kept mine as it has actually been an awesome help for what it can do and does well !
just get your self an elm327 and use it as ECM scanner and the i930 for the rest ,
the i930 has great graphs, data logging , and for the price you will struggle to get a scanner to do ABS,ARS,BODY MODULES ,CATS SUSPENTION,AND real time graphs.
the elm is only $20 if your smart phone is android get the bluetooth one , if you have apple iPhone then get the wi.fi one ! there are plenty of apps to run them some are free some are a few dollars ,
i still think the i930 is a bargain tool for the price.
Mine does everything just fine, but I haven't found the graphs you mention here.. I've seen fuel trim graphs on other tools on youtube.

I'm referring to graphs like these..

Last edited by ZenFly; 02-10-2016 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,871 Posts

I tried the i930 scanner on my wife's 2006 XK8 yesterday. Exact same behavior as on my 2005 S-Type. When I attempt a manual scan of the Engine Control Module, I get the same "Communication Failure" result. The auto-scan feature ran as designed and came back clean with no outstanding DTCs....

So I updated the scanner's firmware via iCarsoft's website (following their tutorial video exactly as shown on the website) and received the "Update Successful" message at the end of the process. Took the scanner back outside, tried it on both Jaguars, but the scanner still refuses to manually scan the Engine Control Modules on either car due to "Communication Failure"....

As Datsports says, the i930 can indeed do a lot of different things and would probably be a big-time unit if iCarsoft had an actual customer support department instead of just pretending to have one. But my i930's refusal to manually scan either cars' ECM is ridiculous....

Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking at the threads some scanners cannot read the ECU module on some Jags but can read the rest of the modules on all other Jags covered
Some who have exchanged faulty scanners have resolved this problem which, to me, suggests the scanner has a simple software "communication" problem
The bigger problem here is that we have a scanner that we all want being supplied by a company that has no interest in being re-active. (I am informed they are still on xmas holiday as of today)
I started the threads and at this moment am waiting for a replacement 930 hoping this will resolve the problem but resigned to using a second scanner for the ECU if it fails

Old 02-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

If the folks at iCarsoft are still on Christmas holiday as we approach mid-February and never bother to respond to their customers' tech support questions, they won't be in business for the long term....

Please keep this thread updated as to whether or not your replacement i930 scanner is fully functional. If it is, then I am likely to get mine replaced rather than returning it for a full refund....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-10-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

I finally got a response from iCarsoft regarding my i930's inability to read our two Jaguars' Engine Control Modules....

I'm told that's because my i930 came loaded with the "NoOBDII" firmware, which is the package that allows it to read and diagnose the specific Jaguar / Land Rover modules. If you want your i930 to have the standard OBDII capabilities (on ANY vehicle, apparently), you go to iCarsoft's website and you download the "OBDII" firmware....

What iCarsoft did NOT specify to me is whether you must choose between "NoOBDII" firmware or "OBDII" firmware for your i930. If it can only do one or the other (and not both), then we'll all be better off using it as an exclusive Jaguar / Land Rover tool and picking up a cheap OBDII scanner for when we need to read the ECM....

I've asked iCarsoft if the i930 can hold both firmware packages at the same time. If they respond, I'll post their answer here....

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (02-14-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 05:16 AM

I have just arranged to send my 930 back to the supplier who said that they were going to stop supplying these in favour of "Foxwell" scanners and refund the money.
I e-mailed another supplier pointing out the problem with carsoft and they suggested Autel MD 702 as a comparison but looking at the spec. it has some but not all of the modules covered (and is more expensive) so maybe I should hold onto this scanner until you get a response with your question.
cully

Old 02-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

iCarsoft responded relatively quickly to my second question yesterday. As I suspected, they said that the i930 can handle either the "NoOBDII" firmware or the "OBDII" firmware, but not both at the same time....

I'll keep my i930 loaded with the "NoOBDII" firmware so it should read all of the Jaguar modules EXCEPT the Engine Control Module. I'll grab a $40 OBDII scanner using a coupon at Harbor Freight for when I need to read the ECM's P-codes. Once I do that, I should have the tools necessary to read all of the modules in our two Jaguars for a total outlay of about $170. In the grand scheme of things, that's not too bad....

iCarsoft needs to do a much better job on their website and in their marketing videos explaining to potential customers that you must make the choice between the two firmware packages because the scanner will not run both of them at the same time. You can download the firmware packages back and forth from the website depending upon what you need to read at the moment, but I think it's much easier (and safer) to leave your i930 set up to read Jaguar-specific modules and use a cheap OBDII scanner to read the ECM's P-codes....

Potential customers also need to know that the owners manual is lousy. The best way to learn what this scanner can and cannot do is to spend plenty of time playing with it while it is connected to your car....

aholbro1 (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 AM

Jon please help me with this!
If I scan the ECU using my cheap scanner and get a DTC will the 930i scanner give live data and freeze frame info on that problem?
I pulled the MAF electrical connection and got the relative codes with the cheap scanner, I then checked the MAF sensors with the 930 data stream and got zero volts showing, so presumably this is the info you will get in this situation? (nothing showed in freeze frame)
If I keep the 930 is this what I would need to do with any ECU problems
(I will eventually get up to speed with these scanners.)
Thanks
cully
ps wouldn't be good to have these conversations with the manufacturer!!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

It isn't seeing the PCM so no it won't give anything you ask.

An elm327 can see live & freeze frame data.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed. Use your regular OBDII scanner to read and clear your engine-related codes. Use your i930 scanner to read and clear your Jaguar-specific module codes such as ABS, Seat Belt Restraint, Seat Modules, Door Modules, etc.

The more you play with your i930 while it is connected to your vehicle, the better you'll be able to figure it out. Go into Manual mode and scroll through the various system modules that you see on the screen. You'll come away with a much better understanding of the tool once you do this....

Good luck having an actual conversation with someone from iCarsoft. I'm just glad they responded to my e-mails. Quite frankly, I did not expect them to bother with me....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-15-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

More i930 inconsistencies to report....

My forum buddy Wayne (cjd777) and I met for lunch this past Saturday along with our wives. Afterwards, Wayne took my i930 home with him to diagnose an airbag system code on his 2000 XK8. Upon multiple attempts to manually scan his car's Restraint system module, Wayne always gets the "Communication Failure" message that also showed up whenever I attempted to manually scan either my 2005 S-Type's or my wife's 2006 XK8's Engine Control module....

I sent an e-mail to iCarsoft's tech support address yesterday to see if we can get some help from someone there. No response thus far....

These i930 units appear to work as advertised on a few Jaguars, work only half-assed on most Jaguars, and not work at all on a few Jaguars (all indicated cars being within the model types and years clearly specified within range by iCarsoft). Very, very frustrating, so purchase an i930 at your own risk....

cjd777 (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 754 Posts

As Jon says, not a good experience and a complete waste of our time. I spent a good 30 minutes before calling Jon and 1 hour on the phone with him, thank goodness we both had some time to spare. I feel sure we tried every combination of tricks in Manual Mode with no hint the i930 was going to give up any results.
In the Automatic Mode we got 100% but I noticed the checks were kind of funny in that it would give 11/13 100% or in the case of the Restraint System 13/16 100%.
After saying all was OK, it did bring up a couple of codes of things that were fixed years ago, at least I'm hoping so.
I thank Jon for his generosity and will continue to try and figure it out with Jon's help.
After installing Real Gauge I feel much better seeing all the important parts are not overheated and getting oil, ready to roll.

Wayne

Old 02-22-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenFly
Mine does everything just fine, but I haven't found the graphs you mention here.. I've seen fuel trim graphs on other tools on youtube.

I'm referring to graphs like these.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrCa9cC9EPg

you mean these ones, you can choose 1 to 4 sensors to graph at once any more than 4 will be in a list with numeric display

Old 02-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Now icarsoft also has an improved model, the LR2 930 which according to an answer from a question I asked, has more memory and capability. As it seems from reading the posts here, the small unit suffers from a lack of enough memory to handle both Jag specific and OBD2 software. Also they told Me the unit is more made for Land Rover and Jag is just included as they share most information between product lines. The newer unit is about $20 more expensive, but also has a slot for more memory as well as a larger display and a few more things like EPB retraction and oil service resets.
BUT.. that's just what they say, being as the standard unit doesn't seem reliable I won't hold My breath that it's replacement is far superior.

The following 3 users liked this post by Renocat:
cjd777 (02-23-2016), Datsports (02-23-2016), Jon89 (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

Datsport, That would have been great, but we could not get anything in that mode on the XK8, and Jon was getting the function to work on his "S" type, but never got the graft.
A new and improved, OK, let me jump all over that.

Wayne

Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 AM

Reading Jon's post 15th Feb. I decided to keep the 930 and have a "MaxiEcu OBD11 kit" coming, from the supplier who has donated it free because of the hassle I have had.
Whether the 930 continues to give consistent info we will see
The LR2 930 according to my supplier is apparently the same software as the original 930 with extra bits added and and I was informed to "beware"
Maybe we are all looking at this the wrong way round, "buy the 930" then go to the Jag dealers and buy the car that it works on.
There is enough posts on here to start a new forum heading "scanners"
Cully

The following 2 users liked this post by cully:
Datsports (02-23-2016), Jon89 (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Datsports
you mean these ones, you can choose 1 to 4 sensors to graph at once any more than 4 will be in a list with numeric display

Yes..thanks. I haven't found this yet.. I'd like to use these graphs on short term fuel trims because they jump around so fast. My short term numbers seem to hang around zero at idle with jumps plus to minus numbers like 1.34-2.78 etc.above and below zero... My long term numbers are about the same but don't change much often showing zero on one side and similar numbers as short term on the other.. I've never seen zeros on both banks..

Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Cully, LOL, I like your view on the "scope", no pun, of our trouble.

Wayne

Jon89 (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

I sent an e-mail to iCarsoft support describing Wayne's struggles with my i930 on his 2000 XK8. They responded by asking me for his car's VIN so they are at least acknowledging that we have a problem. But I have also asked them three different times for a tech support phone number, and they just ignore that question....

cjd777 (02-23-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Here's iCarsoft's overnight response to my e-mail to them explaining our difficulties getting my i930 to communicate with Wayne's 2000 XK8:

" Dear Jon,

Good day, the tel number I could get is for customer service department, we need to check with our engineer for a solution.

What's more, as for software problems, our engineer needs to test same model and find a solution, even if you contact the engineer directly, he may not give you a fast answer.

Appreciate your understanding that there is no machine covers all models and systems in current market.

The code reader might not cover some systems on a car model.

I will check with our engineer once I get his reply. I will let you know, how about that?

Appreciate your patience. "

I don't know what other advice to provide regarding the overall effectiveness of this i930 scanner other than "buyer beware"....

Quick Reply: 930i scanner