Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS ECM S-type 4.2L 2002/3

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ABS ECM S-type 4.2L 2002/3

Morning all.
I want to know if when you replace the ASB ECM with a new module, not second hand, whether it needs to be flashed or is it good to go?

I have the various software, battery maintainer etc just thought a heads up before I replace it would be a good idea. Also I have removed the original and replaced it and I can describe a much faster method than Jag recommends if thats a help.

Thanks again and look forward to any replies

Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I believe the ABS/DSC module (new) needs to be programmed to your vehicle via Jaguar dealer level diagnostic software - WDS/IDS

More reasons why most owners try to find a replacement module and swap it in their vehicle.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:40 PM
Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Looking for best way to remove ABS module

Originally Posted by cogitare
Morning all.
I want to know if when you replace the ASB ECM with a new module, not second hand, whether it needs to be flashed or is it good to go?

I have the various software, battery maintainer etc just thought a heads up before I replace it would be a good idea. Also I have removed the original and replaced it and I can describe a much faster method than Jag recommends if thats a help.

Thanks again and look forward to any replies

Please let us know your method to easily remove and replace the ABS module. I have a 2005 S-Type R. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2016, 04:43 PM

I'm still curious how you easily removed the ABS module (A.K.A. Dynamics Stability Control Module). Please chime in again and let us know...

I wanted to move forward with the repair so I removed the ABS module from my an 05 STR by first loosening and lifting the front power distribution fuse box (contains fuses and relays) on the RH side (U.S. Passenger-Side). It took a bit of massaging but I did so by removing the two top rearward bolts with a 10mm socket and the third bolt was very difficult to remove. It is located a bit more forward and lower which is the same location as a large wire harness. I used a 10mm open end wrench to get it loose and then a pair of long needle nose pliers to remove the bolt completely.

Advice: I have no idea why they used a bolt more than twice as long as it needed to be. I'm replacing the front bolt with a much shorter one to simplify the remounting of the fuse and relay module.

I am still not sure if I'm going to send the module to have it repaired or roll the dice and see if I can locate and repair bad soldier joints myself (
). Reference 9:48 into video. The module in an 05 STR is a different shape.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:55 AM

i would post a pdf with images but i dnot have sufficient rep soz. here is text only:
Removal of ABS ECM S-Type Jaguar 2002.5-2003 4.2L – the quick method – 20 minutes.
Tools required:
Flat blade screwdriver 8mm wrench
T35 bit
T socket
Battery maintainer Jag software.
1. Remove battery ground from chassis.
2. Using a flat blade screwdriver, release the 3 catches on the fuse box to the left of the abs unit and lift it up and towards the front of the vehicle as far as possible.

3. Remove the single torx screw T35 holding the ABS bracket ,which is now accessible with the removal of the fuse box, this gives the ABS unit a little more freedom, which is required as it is a tight fit.
4. The ABS ECM is held to the ABS pump by three torx bolts, you will require a T socket. Remove the 3 screws.
5. Gently wriggle the ABS ECM away from the pump assembly, be careful as the electrical connector sitting at the top is the longest part of the unit.
6. Reverse the procedure for installation.
7. Connect your battery maintainer, vital for interrogation and reprogramming.

8. Whether reprogramming is required is unclear. The problem (DSC unavailable) disappeared as soon as the unit was replaced, nevertheless I used the SSD/ISD software to program the unit.
9. The process described by Jaguar for this job was obviously designed by an engineer who never had to actually do it.

The following users liked this post:
1320racer (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 11:15 AM
Smile

Many thanks cogitare!

We followed a similar procedure except I didn't... A) Unlatch the fuse panel's catches and B) Remove the bracket that is held in place with three torx screws. It was very tight and I had to massage things to remove the ABS module. I'll likely need to remove the three torx screws and bracket to safely reinstall the ABS module once it is repaired.

MODULE REPAIR:?
I used 2.5" drill bit to make a hole in the ABS module to determine if I could locate and repair any broken soldier connections. From looking through the hole (and testing with a ohm meter), all visible soldier connections are OK. Now I need to remove the entire cover and test the rest of the printed circuit board's (PCB's) connections. Hopefully then I run across a bad soldier connection and/or component.
(Hole Orientation) Assuming ABS module is resting so the Jaguar logo and part numbers are right-side up and to the right, the 2.5" hole was drilled in the upper left hand corner. This may be the wrong location for the typical soldier point failures. Now I will need to remove the entire cover and then hopefully I will see an issue with the PCB or a component on the PCB.

FINDING A REPLACEMENT:
I've located a couple ABS modules on Ebay with the same part number as my 2005 ABS module. Unfortunately, the sellers's description of sale of the module leaves me thinking there's a good chance it may too have issues. Here are two links...
  1. Jaguar s Type 2005 ABS Anti Lock Pump Control Module PN 4R832C219BD | eBay
  2. Jaguar s Type 2005 ABS Anti Lock Pump Control Module PN 4R832C219BD | eBay

Would you guys/gals trust this seller?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 AM

i recall opening the old unit with a Dremel cutting around the edge and couldn't find any overt damage, although if memory serves it was set in hard compound, maybe I'm wrong it was a while back. I bought a new one from UK parts supplier as i bought a used one from germany, and by used I mean damaged, ugly paper weight.

New are expensive but at last they work.

The following users liked this post:
1320racer (09-21-2016)