S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs fault, Gearbox fault.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016 | 02:26 AM
|
Default Abs fault, Gearbox fault.

Bit lengthy this one but hopefully the information may help somebody. about a week back I got the holy trinity of abs fault, cruise not available and DSC not available flashing up on the dash. My old code reader could only read ECU codes so I ordered an icarsoft i930 and carried on driving the car. A few days later the 3 codes were joined with an engine code, which I could now read with my old standard reader. The code related to the right rear ABS sensor or it's wiring. Aha, I thought all I need to do now is to swap the two rear sensors over, clear the code and wait for it to come back so I can see if I now get a new code that refers to the other side. Fortunately as I was doing the swap my shiney new reader arrived. Anyways, the swap was completed and I took the car for a test drive. Sure enough after 100 yards the fault came back but this time the code was for the other side so I knew the sensor was at fault. What happened next was disturbing. I pulled out of a junction and instead of the car going from second to third gear I got a huge lurch and a gearbox fault message. The car would now only go in to 1st or 2nd. It seemed too much of a coincidence that it happened after I had been messing about so I switched the 2 sensors back. The gearbox is fine again, I have the original fault code back. I can only assume that the box relies on the left rear wheel sensor in some way but don't really know why that should be. I am now waiting for a new sensor and just hope that I haven't hurt the tranny in any way.
1/2er

Old 05-06-2016 | 03:57 AM
Veteran Member

The sensors report the car speed. With weird values anything bad can happen, such as bad gear changes.

Old 05-06-2016 | 04:40 AM

I had this exact same issue last year, including the horrible lurch and gearbox fault message. I honestly thought the tranny had died but thankfully a new ABS sensor fixed everything so you should be fine.

You wouldn't think something that minor could screw up so many things but apparently so!

Old 05-06-2016 | 06:39 AM
|

It is weird, the thing that bugs me the most is the gearbox issue only happened if the bad sensor was on the left rear, on the right rear I got the other errors but no 'box errors. I have had my 3 things in a month now, hopefully nothing else will go wrong for a while.
1/2er