Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS / Parking brake fault codes from a U-turn -_-

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS / Parking brake fault codes from a U-turn -_-

How're you all doing!

I swear I made account MONTHS ago when I traded for my 03 STR...

I have the car that the guy from florida tricked out, White- lowered with forgelines?

Anyways! I've loved the car while owning but it's gone and pissed me off pretty good lately..
The issue I'm having is I did a U-turn late one night (no one on road) on a 4 lane road and maxed out the turning to the left and in the middle of the turn the car started beeping and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree!

Threw 3 faults, parking brake, ABS, and catalytic fault.. The speedo also stopped working at the same time.
So I had a friend of mind hook up a solus to the car and it was unable to get any information from the ABS module...
The odd thing is the car drives ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!! Shifts at the right times, Shifts right when I put it in WOT conditions, Idles, pulls, stops all 100% correctly. I inspected the front drivers side wheel well for damaged wires (The wheel well got ripped out long before I got it)

It beeps at me every time I unlock it and turn it off. I've checked the fuses in the trunk and inspected the front ABS wheel speed sensor wires. I'm going to check the rear wires but I'm sort of at my witts end with the car... The issues it's having just don't quite make sense.

I've read everything from the battery could be getting old and the voltage variance could be enough to throw the system, to I'm going to be out 2100 dollars for a new ABS module that only the dealer can program.

Any help would be very much appreciated, I'm already buried in the car, I don't really have thousands to throw at it for something as stupid as this. I'm capable of replacing any and every part of this car, I'm just lacking the resources to figure out WHAT to replace.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by nemean
...and maxed out the turning to the left and in the middle of the turn the car started beeping and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree!
The ABS sensor wiring on the side that got stretched would be a BIG suspect.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Shortly before my 2005 S-Type 3.0's Electronic Park Brake module failed in late April, the car would occasionally emit three "beeps" when I would crank the ignition switch for the first time in the morning. It would not do this on successive cranks the remainder of that day. I attributed the beeps to my original factory battery getting ready to give up the ghost since it was just a month shy of being ten years old. In retrospect, these three beeps may have been the car's way of warning me that the EPB module was about to fail. Since I had never seen that specific issue reported here on the forum, I had no way of knowing that....

When "Park Brake Fault" and "Cruise Not Available" suddenly appeared on the dashboard display, I thought a new battery would immediately resolve the issue. So I installed one, but the fault messages did not disappear. Once a new EPB module was installed and properly programmed, my issue was finally resolved....

Check your wiring harnesses as instructed, but keep my situation in mind as well....

Let us know how you finally resolve your issue. Good luck....

Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM

The fault codes are the following:
P1637- can link abs module / network malfunction
P1260 security input
P1582 flight recorder data is stored
P1000 system check not completed

* parking brake module
U1040 missing speed signal

Trans module
P1799 / abs

Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

When cleared, which come(s) back first?

Some of those look transient - possibly failing battery, but probably transient either way.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8

Some of those look transient - possibly failing battery, but probably transient either way.

Originally Posted by JagV8

Those were after they were cleared.

Today I threw a few hours at it...

I replaced the battery with the new optima out of my truck

I cleaned the ground to the battery at both ends

Then I cleaned the main ground in between the ABS module and the passenger headlight.

Checked the harness for obvious damage and thoroughly inspected the wheel speed sensor on the passenger side.

All... With .. no.. fix

Beginning to want to put an LS engine in the car and a gauge pack. I love the car but this is nuts.

I know I'm probably just overlooking something, or maybe the ABS module itself has failed...

Old 07-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Since all this started after your U turn move have you got under the car to check the ABS sensors and wiring? I see you checked the fronts but did you get to the rear ones too?

Maybe you will see something out of place?

I say this because the error codes posted are very rare and we have little to no experience with them. They make me think of wire harness problems because they all started at once.

Any chance you can take it to a dealer? I know that's not a great suggestion.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Since all this started after your U turn move have you got under the car to check the ABS sensors and wiring? I see you checked the fronts but did you get to the rear ones too?

Maybe you will see something out of place?

I say this because the error codes posted are very rare and we have little to no experience with them. They make me think of wire harness problems because they all started at once.

Any chance you can take it to a dealer? I know that's not a great suggestion.

I don't mean this in any kind of an offensive way at all, but I'm 25 years old and I've been swapping motors and fabricating parts on cars since I was 16.

I don't believe in dealers, and will wholesale the car off before I go that route. They're most likely going to hook a lesser scanner than the one that's been hooked to already, and charge me over 100 dollars to tell me about the same codes I already know about.

The Solus couldn't connect to the ABS module at all... normally if It were a wheel speed sensor, it'd read each individual wheel speed sensor and tell me which one it was.

I've been under the rear end a few times and didn't see any hanging wires from the rear, but the high speed turns I've taken in the car would have done much more rubbing than the low speed u turn, So I couldn't imagine that the hurt wires in the rear. I'll definitely check there tomorrow though!

Are there anymore grounding points that I'm unaware of for the ABS module? It's very tight in that location, so I followed the wiring harness as best as I could and thought the ABS unit was grounded right there behind the headlight.

I've checked every fuse I could, but I'm to the point where I might just go ahead and pull every single fuse one at a time...

(Jesus Christ I hate wiring gremlins)

Old 07-23-2015, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

The proper dealer tool is rather better than the one you mention.

It's free advice here, you don't have to take it!

Old 07-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Let us know if you fix it. Those codes are strange. The security one mostly. Sounds like the car is not happy with something.

You appear to missing the ABS signal because of code U1040. If the wheel sensors are good then it's either wiring or a bad module.

The flight recorder error is also a odd and unusual one.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Let us know if you fix it. Those codes are strange. The security one mostly. Sounds like the car is not happy with something.

You appear to missing the ABS signal because of code U1040. If the wheel sensors are good then it's either wiring or a bad module.

The flight recorder error is also a odd and unusual one.
The weirdest thing here is that the car drives, shifts, and acts PERFECTLY FINE... So its like it works, buuuuuut doesn't. which makes me think it's a weak ground issue..

Old 07-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by nemean
I don't mean this in any kind of an offensive way at all, but I'm 25 years old and I've been swapping motors and fabricating parts on cars since I was 16.
I don't mean to be offensive, either.

Well.. maybe a LITTLE..

But only NINE years?

Give a think as to what sort of folk hang-out here, and THEIR experience.
Many have been sorting out Jaguar and other motorcars longer than you have been eating solid food.

I'm past 70, started on farm equipment waay before age 16.. and I am still a Jaguar 'newbie' - here to find out things I do not YET know.

What 'we' have learned in an extra 20 or 50 years is that not only do we NOT 'know it all'.. we don't even know enough!

There is ALWAYS a need to rely on others for something we do not have.

I could not afford to operate an XJ8 AT ALL ..if it were not for the information contributed by members of this website.

In all probability - neither can you.

WITH their cumulative , shared, expert aid, it is turning out to be one of the LEAST expensive motorcars among the 'many' I have owned. Dodge Caravan, GMC Sonoma.. just among those still HERE ..have cost me right about double per year what the XJ has.

EACH.

Meanwhile ...

A proper scanner WILL tell you if the bus is not communicating with the ABS subsystem, TCM, yadda, yadda.. and if it IS so doing, will identify - to name one - which wheel sensor or wire to it is reporting failed.

Just got my third OBDC II reader so as to have one that could do exactly that, (IcarSoft i930).

It did so.

I am headed out this very afternoon to replace the offending lead (right front).

Patience, Grasshopper.

ALL recent vehicles have their share of such 'gremlins'.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-24-2015 at 05:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
toaster (09-05-2017)