S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ABS Question

I tried searching, but its kind of a unique problem.

Two weeks ago I was driving to work, coming onto a off ramp off the highway. I can only assume I hit something, but I don't remember anything being in the road. There was a large bang from the RH side of the vehicle, starting from the front and carrying on to the back. Since then I have had a humming coming from the rear end.

I jacked up the car and couldnt see anything wrong. It sounds a lot like a wheel bearing, anyways I serviced the rear diff, and then ended up changing the RH rear wheel bearing. Neither of which fixed the problem.

Yesterday, I jacked up both sides to run the car to get a better idea of where its coming from. After jacking both sides, and as soon as I started the car I got a ABS fault on the dash. I just figured it had something to do with it being in the air. I tried running the car, but only the RH wheel would spin. The LH wheel looked like it wanted to but wouldn't.

I ended up removing the jack stands, but couldn't get the fault to clear until I drove the car. I tried clearing on my scanner, and disconnecting the negative on the battery. After driving it the warning cleared, and it has been normal since, other than the humming from the rear end.

I pulled the code, C1175 and it was for the LH wheel speed sensor. While I was running the car, the RH wheel looks a bit out of balance, but i need to bring it to a shop to find out for sure. Im just curious if I do have a bad rear speed sensor, and thats somehow causing the humming? Maybe the brake is trying to lock up or something. The wiring on the LH side looked fine, and I haven't tried cleaning it yet either, but other than jacking up the car and running it I haven't had a problem with ABS, I was reading to try this method to pinpoint the problem, but I not recall having to pull any fuses for the ABS?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Running the car in gear while up in the air will always set an ABS code.The car does a self test after start expecting to see all four wheels going more or less the same speed.

The following users liked this post:
abgusaf (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it possible to try by starting the car first then getting it on stands?

Or should i simply pull the fuse?