S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In absolute shock and dismay

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In absolute shock and dismay

When I first went to the dealership, they told me that I would be charged a diagnostic fee of $115 or around there to look at the car. If i didn't get it repaired i'd pay the fee. If I got it fixed, they would apply it to the costs.

I had them check out an electrical problem, broken sunroof, and a recall. My car would need jumping every day due to battery being dead. So i took it in.

Found out that it was due to complete wire corrosion under the driver and passenger sides. They said they needed to replace wires and fix the harness? I asked for the bad wires and they refused and told me the mechanic fixed it using new wire with the old wire. How does a car thats less than 6 years old get complete wire corrosion? When I leased the car, they told me that they got it from Georgia. I'm thinking it could be that it was flood damage, shipped it to mi from florida, fixed the car under the radar, and then re-leased it out.

They found a leak in the transmission. To fix the hose they wanted to charge me $690 (rubber isn't covered under warranty). I said screw off.

To fix the wiring connected under the driver and passenger seats was $670. First (before i was asked about the transmission), I was told that the wiring would cost in the mid $200 to fix. Then she told me about the above cost to fix the hose for the transmission. I said no. Next day she called me and told me the story of the wiring being replaced and it was worse than she thought. Told me it was $670. I sense a scam here. When i asked for the wires, as stated before, she then called me back the next day and told me they needed those wires and they were still in the car. Hmm.

To fix my sunroof, they quoted me $1700. Turns out somehow just by pushing the open button on my sunroof, it stripped and warped the track. How that happens, I have no idea.

As the detail of the issues were told to me over the phone, i wrote everything down word for word. I called a mechanic down the street from them and he quoted me $300 to fix the wiring. $300!!!! Unfortunately, they amount of money that the dealer was already going to bill me regardless of getting it fixed (billed hours just checking the car), it would have been more to have them stop the work and then pay someone else to do it.

From my understanding, I thought the dealer was just going to charge me a flat $115 (guess) fee to check out my car problems, but I was then called the next day when my car was finished stating that since they checked my sunroof and I didn't get that fixed, they were charging me a fee for that as well. When I complained, she stated that for the amount of issues I had them check, I would have paid $670+ just in diagnostic fees. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!

DON'T FORGET THAT THIS IS ALL ON A LEASED CAR! I ONLY HAVE LESS THAN A YEAR LEFT ON IT!

Just wonderful.

So my only issue is what am i going to do when I turn it in and the sunroof is broken? I cannot afford to throw away even more money on a car that doesn't belong to me. How is the sunroof not covered under warranty?!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles. Which warranty do you mean in your final sentence, bearing in mind it's roughly a 6-year old car?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,950 Posts

It sounds like a scam on the face of it, but some questions suggest themselves.....

- Who is the lessor and collecting the monthly lease money ?
- who is the warranty with ?
- what part did the dealer play in setting up the lease and then the warranty ?
- Is the dealer the lessor and warrantor ?

It could be the dealer is a 3rd party that cannot just do free work for another company leasing out cars and making lots of dough, but taking no responsibility for them. Having said all of this, I am not familiar with the US leasing industry, but why would the dealer want to upset you if you are their customer and taking your lease money ?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:48 PM

I leased it directly through Jaguar of Troy.
They used us bank. They set everything up. We just signed the lease and were given the keys.

I have select edition warranty.

I have no idea why the dealer would do that. That's the biggest question that I have. I do know that the auto industry in Michigan is hurting bad, so maybe they are in need of money.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I thought there was a common sunroof 'reset' procedure that you s-typers were using w/ success?

As for the wiring, what happened to it, how its being repaired, that's a tough one. Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:22 PM

sunroof reset procedure?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I don't know the details of select edition but others on here do. I was under the impression it would cover the kinds of things you've listed (apart from the diagnostics, maybe). Anyone?

If you get no help you can presumably call Jag Corporate and find out (also, I'd guess, read the warranty carefully).

Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
I don't know the details of select edition but others on here do. I was under the impression it would cover the kinds of things you've listed (apart from the diagnostics, maybe). Anyone?

If you get no help you can presumably call Jag Corporate and find out (also, I'd guess, read the warranty carefully).
Concur with jagv8's recommendation. All of these appear to be covered by the Select Edition warranty. Do not go back to that dealer though. Go to a different Jaguar and get all required work approved by Select Edition. It normally takes a day or so to get the approvals.

Good luck,

Mike

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

if the above really are covered, would they give me my money back? I wonder how that would work.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

I would have expected that SE would cover most if not all of it.

What exactly is happening with your roof? Mine was opening and closing but not rising at the back to seal it the reset fixed that.

Procedure is here if it helps https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...hlight=sunroof

Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

OK, there is something up here...I bought my car at Jaguar Cleveland and it is financed through Jaguar Credit....That said, it is also a Select Edition car. Every time I go in for something there is never a diagnostic fee. I do hear that other dealers charge this..They even added dye and put my car up on the lift with a tech to check out where a VERY slight leak is coming from...no charge... Now back to the wire issue...How in the heck did wires that run under the seat suffer from corrosion. Is there a leak and the wires are getting wet? Was there concealed damage?
Technically, flood damage or damage from a constant leak wouldn't be covered by the warranty since it was not caused by a defect. But..If the car had concealed water damage that could end up being a big deal to Jaguar Corporate since the car should have never passed inspection to be certified. The rubber hose issue sounds like a crappy dealer...I'm 99% sure I know what line your talking about. Mine is seeping just a little bit. It is a metal trans cooling line that has a flex section up where it bends to the radiator. I'd be willing to bet that it is the metal crimp fitting that is leaking. It is where the rubber meets the metal. Again, if the metal crimp is failing that should be covered. My dealer hasn't replaced mine yet because the leak is just making the hose moist and not a big deal..It would be a big job to replace..Now, the sunroof failure should be a no brainer. Any mechanical or electrical failure would be covered. The only part of the sunroof not covered is the weather strip.

My advice to you, MissChelle, is to VERY CALMLY, call around to another dealer, ask nicely to set up an appointment with the service manager, and talk nicely and frankly about your concerns. See if they will work with you. I'm sure you'll find someone who will listen. Another major red flag is your current dealer refusing to give you the replaced components. It is totally within your right to insist on that. I hope you resolve your issues and get back to enjoying the car again.

Last edited by JOsworth; 04-08-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about you issues...I can speak of the transmission cooling lines issue - it's not covered by Select warranty - just went tru that..as for the corroded wires under the seats - the big question is how they got corroded ???...