S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC blowing warm and high pressure on low side

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Are we done bickering now?

I didn't think there was a difference apart from the mountings.
93XJR-S's experience seems to bear this out, but there is a sure way to find out!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by foytech
Liste I couldn't see a V6 having a completely different compressor for the A/C than the V8
Here is one difference between the V6 and V8 AC compressor, the yellow rectangle shows 4" long bolt guides for the V6, and the red rectangle shows 3 1/2" long bolt guides for the V8.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Listen, my understanding of this forum is to help one another, not try to get the last word. If you read my post, I was addressing someone else other than you. I asked them, if they used this procedure on a V8, why dont we start with you telling me what the difference is between the two compressors? I am a very logical person, I couldn't see a V6 having a completely different compressor for the A/C than the V8, unless you have a logical explanation. I don't know how old you are but the bickering has to stop. This is a public forum, newbee or not.
Hi there foytech - to answer your inquiry - yes, the compressors between the V6 and V8 are different as Norri pointed out. Additionally, there could be a difference between the compressor used in our 4.0 V8 for the 2000 MY vs. the 03+ 4.2 STR... I had a similar issue in my S Type (same MY and engine) - my issue was related to a low freon charge.

Additionally, as pointed out - the TSB only applies to the V6 compressors. If your mechanically inclined - take out your compressor (it's a PITA) and switch the spring out and report back... maybe you'll get lucky...

The following users liked this post:
Norri (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
here is one difference between the v6 and v8 ac compressor, the yellow rectangle shows 4" long bolt guides for the v6, and the red rectangle shows 3 1/2" long bolt guides for the v8.

to answer everyone's question on this. It does apply to both v8 and v6 compressors if(see that bolt on removable plate) if it has that plate it applies wether the tsb refers to it or not does not matter. The latter versions do not have that plate, just a cast sealed hole with no valve in there. It was totally eliminated. The v8 compressor will work on a v6 with spacers as depending on where/who you buy the comressor from, it comes with spacers for v8 use or leave them out for v6
now everyone take a timeout in their corners

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Norri (01-07-2013), scottjh9 (02-09-2023)
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

To Brutals point:

New style compressor on left, 2005 OEM on right

BTW in the V6/V8 comparison picture, the compressor I picked up (the first one) did not come with spacers. I did in fact think about making my own but I found the correct OEM compressor online cheaper than the "short" bolt guide one.

Attached Thumbnails AC blowing warm and high pressure on low side-dscn5903.jpg  

Last edited by joycesjag; 01-07-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This worked on your V8? I have a V8 with the same problem, someone on this forum told me the TSB doesnt apply to my V8.

To answer your question, Yes this was on my 2003 S type R, per the TSB my VIN does not fall into the range of the affected cars but the quick repair worked like a champ and continues to do so today. I purchased a Ford Motorcraft compressor to just change the thing out wound up not being needed after the tsb repair. The left side of the engine has to be raised to remove the compressor also so that was another reason to at least try the tsb repair

Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you all!

Glad to see this thread is alive and kicking, makes me really feel good that I signed up! Anyhow, I havnt looked under the car in a while, I dont know what kind of compressor I have, all I know is 4.0L V8 2000 S-type, I am definetly going to check this out before the heat arrives, btw, is it easy to remove the compressor? Would I need to lift the motor to do it? Hope not if so, I am just going to have to bear it out because that is not what I am about to do.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

With the age and miles on your 2000 I would replace the compressor. Have you looked at the compressor? Check for yellow stains and drips. This is the refrigerate oil. The way the S Type A/C is designed the compressor is the lowest part of the system so the oil will by gravity puddle at the bottom of the compressor. These compressors tend to leak where the case is split for assembly. I have been told this is not repairable and is very common.

I got a brand new Chinese made AC compressor for about $200 with shipping on EBay. This also included the dryer and the expansion valve. Be sure to vacuum down the system good and replace the dryer. I would not mess with attempting to change the expansion valve because it's buried in the dash. No trade in or core charge either! You can search for Lincoln LS AC compressor to find it. I have been running it about 2500 miles so far without problems. I asked the seller how these were lasting and he claims only a couple returns out of several hundred compressors.

I don't think you need to raise the engine to replace the AC compressor. On my 2003 LS the compressor can be removed and installed without raising the engine. The top rear bolt cannot be removed or installed completely so it must be put loose in the compressor hole before you slide the compressor back into position. DO NOT forget this!! And do not ask how I know this! I spent a good bit more time than needed because of that fact.

The STR for sure and maybe the other 2003 and up S Types do require you to raise the engine because the front sub frame was changed and an added cross brace blocks the AC compressor access. Much more work to change compared to the early 1999-2002 S Type!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to see this thread is alive and kicking, makes me really feel good that I signed up! Anyhow, I havnt looked under the car in a while, I dont know what kind of compressor I have, all I know is 4.0L V8 2000 S-type, I am definetly going to check this out before the heat arrives, btw, is it easy to remove the compressor? Would I need to lift the motor to do it? Hope not if so, I am just going to have to bear it out because that is not what I am about to do.

Not too sure on the early models but on my 03 there is no way to get the compressor or all of the bolts for that matter out without raising the drivers side of the motor, the instructions i recall tell you to loosen the bolts on the drivers motor mount and use some insanely priced specialty tool / lift bar contraption to raise the one side. As for the compressor, if you want new not reman. look up the comparable year / motor of the LS and purchase the Ford Motorcraft compressor hundreds less than the Jag unit.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every Repair Shop I have been to has been over pricing my labor. I cannot afford to go to these places for work, simply dont trust anyone. They look at the car as a "Very difficult" project, even though this year is a ford model. I hope to God I dont have to life a motor to replace the compressor otherwise, I will just keep burning in the summer. At least the heater is fixed now its cold.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Every Repair Shop I have been to has been over pricing my labor. I cannot afford to go to these places for work, simply dont trust anyone. They look at the car as a "Very difficult" project, even though this year is a ford model. I hope to God I dont have to life a motor to replace the compressor otherwise, I will just keep burning in the summer. At least the heater is fixed now its cold.
I would look for a service shop specializing in Air Conditioning - How much labor are you being quoted for? (3 hours? 5 hours?) Remember, this is not a simple drop your old compressor out and install the replacement in - the shop needs to discharge/recover, vacuum and re-charge the entire system.

Additionally, if you can find a shop that will allow you to bring your parts in - that will help you save $$$ (from shop mark up) as well but they'll more than likely bump up on labor charges and not guarantee the parts you bring...

Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

God I dont have to lift a motor to replace the compressor otherwise
Its only one bolt and it isn't special by any means, just use a 6" extension. Special tool for lifting motor ---> common floor jack.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the system need to be evacuated before the valve and spring swap?

Old 05-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Yes it does.