Sponsored by:

Access to fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,053 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul792
Hi Andre
If you have a look at the fuel lines from directly above you will see that you have to squeeze the push tabs in and at the same time push down on the part you are squeezing (not the fuel line). In my case I could hear a click. At this point you gently pull up on the fuel line.

I found that it feels like you need an extra pair of hands. So I put a pencil under the right angled part of the fuel line right up close to where the fuel lines go into the pump. This gave me leverage (because if you are squeezing in and pressing down it is difficult to push the fuel line up at almost the same time). I had to take the fuel lines off a number of times and it got easier the more I took the fuel lines off and understood the process.

If you break the push in tabs it is more difficult to push down and lever up. The first time I broke one these tabs and it requires more brute force but should come up if you have no choice. When you get the fuel lines off and take a look at how they work you will see that by pushing down you are opening the locking mechanism inside (you can't see this when they are still connected).

Hi Paul,

A bump to an older thread. I saw these pliers on eBay while looking for something else. Would these work to release the clips as you've described?

Link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Fuel-Li...19.m1438.l2649

Old 05-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Karl
The tabs on the fuel lines on earlier models (my car) are slightly different than on the photo you provided.

Regarding your second photo (with these pliers on the fuel filter). It is easier to either make or, buy the proper tool. There is a youtube video where it is made with a plastic pen cap. Although this works. I made one. The proper tool would make it even simpler and more accurate.

The fuel lines on the pump are frustrating to get off and the tabs easy to break, especially the white one. But if you have to take them off and on a few times You get better at it and gain a feel for it. The first time I used normal pliers on the tabs. I broke the tabs. Fortunately it was on a parts car and was no problem. This was good practice as it made me take my time and gain patience.

The trick (if there is a trick) is to put a small amount of upward pressure on the line you are attempting. This needs to be with free hands so you can then concentrate on pressing the tabs in and at the same time pushing down. The leverage from the pressure assists in popping the line up. It doesn't come up far, but enough to know you have it free. The small pressure is applied with a small piece of wood under and close to the right angle part of the fuel line. The photo below is showing a piece of wood under my broken fuel line on the parts car.

If anyone wants links to show how to make a filter tool.

I don't want to hijack Andre's original post. As he is still looking for help with a check valve.

"Whilst dismantling the fuel sender unit I removed the small housing above the fuel pump pump. A small brass valve with a ball bearing inside fell out. It looks like a check valve with one end pleated to retain the ball. I would be grateful for any information on it's proper orientation when I come to reinstalling. Also, could the fact that this valve fall out so easily contribute to the fuel pump demise?"

Paul

Attached Thumbnails Access to fuel pump-removing-fuel-lne.jpg  

Last edited by Paul792; 05-13-2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: adding more information