Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a bluetooth adapter

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015 | 04:50 AM
|
Default Adding a bluetooth adapter

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2003 Jaguar S type.

I was disappointed to know that there is not an AUX input anywhere in the vehicle. (If there is one, please let me know?) There is no DVD navigation in this vehicle. There is a 6 CD changer.

I have tried a bluetooth to FM transmitter but the audio quality is not very good.

If there is no AUX, then I was thinking of hacking the CD changer output that goes to the amplifier. If I made "blank / no audio" cd tracks, I could just play them over and over and tap into the audio signal output from the CD player and connect a bluetooth to AUX type adapter and theoretically I should be able to hear bluetooth audio while the CD changer is playing the blank tracks.

I realize that there would be some volume leveling required and I'm ok with adding a variable resistor to accomplish that.

But my question is, does anyone have a pin-out of the CD changer so I can go about doing this? I think perhaps I should look at the amplifier input and try that perhaps. But I figured it would be easiest with the CD changer tap.

Let me know what you think?

Old 05-28-2015 | 05:25 AM
Veteran Member

See JTIS workshop manual, free download

Probably a bigger job than you think.

Old 05-28-2015 | 11:34 AM
|

Thank you for the link. I will go through it. I hope its not too big of a job. I just can't stand audio that is not crystal clear.

Originally Posted by JagV8
See JTIS workshop manual, free download

Probably a bigger job than you think.

Old 05-29-2015 | 04:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rizwan602
Thank you for the link. I will go through it. I hope its not too big of a job. I just can't stand audio that is not crystal clear.
Actually, you are quite fortunate to not have the Nav screen because the the system you have does have after market solutions for all sorts of adaptations. Just dig into them. You won't need to enter the rather difficult and limited capability of the Jaguar ACM module. So ignore all the threads you see on that as they will depress and mislead you.

A couple of people have put nice aftermarket systems into cars like yours.

Old 05-29-2015 | 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

How about something like this instead?:

http://tinyurl.com/pnv52dr

It converts your Bluetooth audio into an FM signal, but instead of broadcasting it through the air, the signal is wired directly into your radio’s antenna connection. As I understand it, this unit operates fully automatically. After an initial setup, when your device transmits Bluetooth audio, this unit switches off your radio’s FM antenna input and creates its own replacement signal. When you turn off your Bluetooth audio output, this device reverts your radio to normal operation after a short pause. Installation looks very simple, requiring only a power and ground and access to the radio’s antenna connection.

I’m currently using an ordinary FM transmitter device (with over-the-air signal) but plan to upgrade to this in the near future.

Last edited by kr98664; 05-29-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2015 | 01:22 PM
|

Thank you for the suggestion but I find that I lost a lot of audio dynamics when going through FM radio. I'm looking for a as close to digital solution as I can get. The Parrot system sounds interesting. Its the best option so far other than to tear apart the connector harness coming from the CD changer and seeing if it outputs a line level audio signal going to the head unit.

Originally Posted by kr98664
How about something like this instead?:

http://tinyurl.com/pnv52dr

It converts your Bluetooth audio into an FM signal, but instead of broadcasting it through the air, the signal is wired directly into your radio’s antenna connection. As I understand it, this unit operates fully automatically. After an initial setup, when your device transmits Bluetooth audio, this unit switches off your radio’s FM antenna input and creates its own replacement signal. When you turn off your Bluetooth audio output, this device reverts your radio to normal operation after a short pause. Installation looks very simple, requiring only a power and ground and access to the radio’s antenna connection.

I’m currently using an ordinary FM transmitter device (with over-the-air signal) but plan to upgrade to this in the near future.

Old 05-31-2015 | 06:02 PM

Here is an aux-in retrofit in the headunit:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...6/#post1088471

The CD-changer is all digital audio, you won't be able to splice into it.