S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Wheel Bearing/Hub Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Advice on Wheel Bearing/Hub Removal

Well, hello to all again. Haven't been here much as things have been busy for me but I'm back now! Anyway, background on problem, I have known my lower ball joints have been on the way out and I would have to replace them. The other day, i was driving along with the wife and all of a sudded thought the wheel was going to shake itself off the car! Long story short, I knew the lower ball joints were almost on the way out, so figured the right one had finally bit the big one, so got home ordered parts (new brakes as well since they were on the list too!), got them and started the work today, got everything apart, fairly easy actually, no problems with bolts. As a side note, when taking off the nut on the upper ball joint (at least I think its a ball joint!) in the control arm, put the wrench on it and with almost no force at all, the bolt sheared right off. So this was already moments from complete faliure, luckily it happened while the car was in the garage and not on the highway! So, I'll be getting one of those as well now, and to all you out there, it looked fine so it can't hurt to check them out and make sure all is well. Anyway, back to the main problem, it appears that the hub has fused itself to the verticle link on both sides. So, how can I get them off! They seem fine so I don't think I need new ones, but if I can't get them off will that mean new ones for me! I have them soaking in WD40 and have been trying to get them off, but I don't want to mess them up getting them out, then have to get new ones anyway. So, to all you out there with far more knowledge then me: should I forget about getting them off and just get new ones, or keep trying and eventually they will break loose? Now, if I need new ones, anyone got a part number? do I have to get them from Jag or are there others out there (such as all the ones on eBay that SAY they will fit) from someone that are cheaper. Now, I'm not desperate to save them if they can't be saved, fortunately I acutally do have the money (to my surprise!) to get new ones if I have too. Anyway, what do you all think?

Just to be clear if its a little confusing, I have the new verticle links with the ball joints (as you have to with these cars) so I don't have to reuse the old ones, therefore, my thinking is if it isn't worth it to try and get the old ones out, I don't have too since they are stuck in the old verticle links and I don't need to reuse them, and new ones could bolt right up into to shiny new verticle links! No fuss no muss! But, just because I have the money for new ones, it doesn't mean I want to spend it if I don't ahve to!

Last edited by WinterJag; 04-16-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts

A couple of things winter:

Use PB Blaster rather than WD40, PB is a true penetrating oil and it works!

To replace its straight forward, couple more bolts when doing a brake job. I actually did ours in my bathrobe in 20 minutes (short story just ask).

There are aftermarkets available, I HAD to go through the dealer, there are actually 2 different front hubs (at least for an '05). The difference being the depth, although it was about an 1/8" difference the aftermarkets would not clear the vertical link, I purchased both aftermarkets (SKF and ? can't remember) and they "bottomed out" actually hitting the backside of the VL.

Attached is the hub I had to purchase:

Attached Thumbnails Advice on Wheel Bearing/Hub Removal-jaguar-hub-007.jpg   Advice on Wheel Bearing/Hub Removal-jaguar-hub-008.jpg  

Last edited by joycesjag; 04-17-2011 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jaidank (03-23-2020)
Old 04-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks! I'll have to try that PB blaster and see what it can do. I know it isn't a hard job and honestly if these things weren't stuck to the link and that ball joint hadn't broken, I could have done the entire job in about 1.5 hours. I'll have to call my dealer tomorrow and see what they say about hubs (if I haven't gotten them off yet!). I have found some at Rockauto that say they will work, and I have got stuff from them before and it has always fit with no issues. So, they have these hubs that say they will fit:

SKF Part # BR930213 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers1W4Z1104AA, 2W4Z1104AA, 3W4Z1104BA, 5W4Z1104BA, XR848149, XW4Z1104AA} Bolt circle diameter B=2.5450"; Wheel PIO diameter=2.4935"; Hub PIO diameter=2.9860"; Flange offset=1.7935"; Flange diameter=5.4660"; Brake PIO diameter=2.8025"; Bolt hole size=.4090"; Bolt circle diameter A=4.2340IN

TIMKEN Part # HA590224 Ball Bearing; 4.25 in. Bolt Circle Diam; 5.476 in. Flange Diameter; 1.752 in. Flange Offset; Modified Flange Shape; 63.28 mm Wheel Pilot Diam

Now, if you look at the specs, they are different. So, what is the right one? What are the specs on the OEM part? Anyone know. I do notice it has the Jag part number in the SKF one (XR8 48149) but I'm pretty sure that is an old part number as it doesn't match joycejags number ( XR8 55936 which is the current one), but that could just be the new number that superceeded the old one. Help!

Just found this while trying to search

http://gotpartsnow.com/products/2007...ront+Wheel.htm

According to this, the TIMKEN bearing is made to match OEM part XR855936, which is the current part number from Jag for the hub. So, based on this info, that part should work fine, yes/no?

Last edited by WinterJag; 04-17-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Exclamation

So, from all my searching today, I still can't figure out what part I need! I know the correct Jag part number is XR855936, and from what I posted above, that TIMKEN bearing says it is made to match OE part XR855936, but is that for sure. I'm going to go at my hubs one more time tomorrow and see what happens. Either way, I'll take anyones thoughts on this matter since of the three options (get hubs out fine and reuse, get them out but break them, can't get them out) 2/3 involve me needing new ones! Not to rush all you wonderful people (), but I need my car up and running latest this comming weekend and if I have to order these parts they will take until then to get here! I may just end up taking a shot at it and getting the ones I think will work but make sure I can just send them back if they don't work!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

As I recall, the big local parts (NAPA included) stores here said they had the correct hub assembly. I also have a foreign import parts store local (these guys are great!) even stated they had the correct aftermarket hub. After jerkin' around a better part of the day with the original in hub in hand I wound up at Scott Jaguar here and about $280.00 lighter, I wound up with the above.

Timken rings a bell as the ? mark above. If you have a Jag dealer near by purchase their hub and the aftermarket online and return (hopefully) the dealer hub assembly.

I am sorry I do not have the specs.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 AM

Well, just got off the phone with my dealer. The parts guy there (great guy) told me that all S-type hubs are the same as it is the same part for all years. So, that clears that up, any Jag hub for any S-type will fit mine. Also, he told me that XR8 55936 is the current part number for the hub, but XR8 48149 is the same part, just the old number. So, either one of those numbers is fine, and since some of those hubs I found say they will match either one of those numbers. But, as joycesjag said, just cause they are supposed to fit, doesn't mean they will. Now, the thing is, my dealer charges over $800 for the hub (yes that's right, $800. even the parts guy laughed at that one!) and I can't return it because it is a special order part. (don't have enough demand around here for it so it's not a stock item). Anyway, I'm going to check out my local place and if they do have one that is supposed to fit, I'll just get them to get in in and I will bring by my new links and see if the hub fits! If it does and I do need one, at least I will know if I have to get a OEM one or not. Thanks for all the help joycesjag! Hopefully I won't end up needing one (or two!).

The following users liked this post:
jaidank (03-23-2020)
Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Update! I just managed to get one hub out and it's just fine. One more to go! So it looks like I won't need new ones after all. Just have to take some time, lots of WD40 and a hammer!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

A torch of some type would help as well. Oh for our friends across the pond I am talking about a flashlite (torch)!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Joycejag

Happy New Year.
If i recall right, there was a member displaying pictures of how to change the front wheel hub. Any advice where to look for it?

Kind regards

Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by desertjag
Hi Joycejag

Happy New Year.
If i recall right, there was a member displaying pictures of how to change the front wheel hub. Any advice where to look for it?
Happy New Year

Here you go: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-39466/

The above is for the pre-face lift but its the same procedure as 2003s and up.

The following 2 users liked this post by joycesjag:
ian.fox (03-21-2020), wnderer (07-16-2014)